Engine drive sprocket can it be spaced?

GoldenMotor.com

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
In my quest for better chain alignment I was thinking what if I move the drive sprocket out a bit (1-2 mm). Just wondering if anyone has done this or if it can even be done. My chain is about 1-2mm from the tire and I don't dare make it any closer at the back sprocket but the chain still pops on the engines sprocket a bit. Moving the sprocket just seems like it would be quicker and easier than rounding the teeth. Oh and whats the best way to stop the sprocket to remove the nut on the drive sprocket. Should I just use the nut on the pad side or is that just going to get the looser nut to come loose? I take it that it's a standard thread, clockwise to tighten and counter to loosen?

Last edited:

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Moving the whole motor is pointless, machine shops around here charge way to much. Having offset mounts made would probably cost me more than the motor kit and have several more complications to work out because of it. Washers to force the wheel will just end up with the back wheel trying to true itself with the front and over time it will stress and/or bend the frame or wheel until it does. Then I will just have the same problem or worse. They sure don't make Schwinn's like they use to. Oh its a Del Mar. And it's not touching the tire yet but it's close.

What I was thinking was to get or make a washer that would fit between sprocket and were it rests and washer or gasket the same thickness between the cover and case. Looks like I'll just have to pull that sprocket tomorrow and see if it can be done unless someone explains why it can't before then.

If I could only talk grany into letting me put it on her bike or selling it to me. Shes 75 got the bike when she was 8 and it was already 10-15 years old when she got it. I think she said it was a Montgomery Ward. Was kept in a building most of its life now it sits outside as a decoration. Its not in perfect condition but its in really good shape for its age. Its just gona sit there and turn to rust wile the perfect condition leather seat will start to rot away, what a waste. But that's a story I shouldn't get into in this thread.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Until you can convince Granny to let you ride her lawn ornament, periodically dress the old seat with Lexol, and if you are expecting rain or snow, seal it with Sno-Seal. Both are found at better leather shops. If you keep up on the maintenance, it will stay in perfect condition forever.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Thanks for the tip on the leather but she wont let anyone touch it. I just can't stand to see the thing sit neglected. She set it against the porch between two flower pots about a year ago and now the rims are starting to rust. I'll have to be sneaky and treat the seat lol.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Shape the teeth if it makes the chain engage better,dish the wheel ever so slight for more clearence,do we want to tell him about the rope trick for removing the nut?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If your measurments are correct, 1 or 2 mm is not enough to even consider. Start worring if your alignment is out by 1/2" or more. Spacing the rear wheel over by 1/8 to 1/4" will not cause the problems you fear. Many have successfully done it before you and have had no problems.
As for your comment, "They don't build Schwinns like they used to", you are correct. Unless you buy a Schwinn from a bicycle shop or find an old classic, you are getting a bike built in China under contract from Schwinn. It is actually a Pacific Cycle, bike with a Schwinn head badge. The department store bikes are okay but you'll not get the same quality that you'd expect from a 20 or 30 year old Schwinn or one that you'll pay much more for from a bicycle shop.
Tom