Engage Clutch,Turn Drive Spocket by Hand?

GoldenMotor.com

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Hello to all on the Forum.
I received my engine kit, and all looks good. Had to clean up a little bit of casting flash off of some of the parts. My kit has the pull-starter on it. I have not mounted the engine to the frame yet.

My question is: If I engage the clutch, should I be able to turn the drive sprocket by hand with little or no resistance? It seems that with the clutch engaged, if I pull on the pull-starter ,the drive sprocket will turn. I tried to keep it from turning by holding it with my hand, but it is too strong.

With the right side cover off, I can see the clutch plate moving in and out when the clutch is engaged/disengaged, so I don't think the mallet-on-the-mandrel trick is needed.

Maybe it's because everything is new and not broken in? Once the engine is installed, and has the additional load/resistance of the rear wheel will the problem be gone?

Thanks,
-rohmell

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
probebly just new,,possibly the pads are stuck to the plate i little or possibly bad fitting clutch pucks in the holes,,,If you can pull and lock the clutch lever in the dis-engaged position,then you might remove the lock screw and flower nut on the clutch plate and look at the pucks under it,,put a mark on the flower nut and count the turns too take it off and put it back on the same number of turns after checking the pucks,,,be sure the pucks move freely in the holes(a file gently used ,trim to fit),,, on the other side of the motor in the center of the drive gear there is a bucking bar and ball that "needs grease all over it" and then put it back in the center of the drive gear(under the clutch lever cover) ,,,BE SURE TO ADD A THUMB NAIL SIZE DAB OF GREASE TO THE SMALL GEAR ON THE CLUTCH PLATE SIDE BEFORE CLOSING

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
corgi1, thank for your reply to my post.

I took it apart, and even without the clutch plate in place everything was turning together. I stuck a screwdriver between two of the three fixed pins so that I could turn the clutch base, and it popped free. It seems there was a bind between the clutch base and the ring gear. I also filed the pucks a little to free them up. Everything is working fine now. The bucking bar and ball seems to have plenty of grease on it from the factory.