Bike going slow?!

GoldenMotor.com

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Bike was riding fine till yesterday, the muffler cracked and fell off right at the weld point where it connects to the bend arm. I noticed it immediatly as the bike started making different noise given the bottom of the exhaust was missing so I turned the bike off.

I have an extra engine kit for replacement parts and put the new muffler (same as old) and new exhaust gasket. Also noticed that my clutch needed adjustment and that the throttle cable had broken the cheap plastic grip and was comming loose. So replaced the throttle grip with a new one as well and double checked float bowl and carb (after removing air filter) to ensure throttle housing was moving up and down...and it was fine.

After everything seemed to be fine I went out to test it and everytime I get around 30km/hr the bike seems to pull back and slow down. I was hitting 45-52 kmphr on average before the muffler fell off. I am using a 50:1 ratio with the engine as it is broken in and I am using synthetic oil.

Any ideas, I have adjusted the tension wheel on the bike up and down and neither allows me to move faster than 30km...the sproket seems fine and in-line with the engine as the chain seems to move fairly straight with ease.....I do have 3/4 inch slack in the chain.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Could it be possible that the float bowl is catching up. Meaning float just a tad low? Its a thought..

moronic_kaos

Apr 6, 2010
Connecticut
Is the muffler actualy like brand new or from another bike?

I would try retuning the carburetor, perhaps the muffler has some differences in the guts (I've got two that are identical on the outside, but they come apart differently and the guts are a little different). Plus going from a used dirty one to a clean one or vice-versa might have some weird effects.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Well, you changed the muffler, and then encountered this problem....I would suspect the muffler.

I have seen the outlet almost completely blocked off by the crappy welds they did. One muffler I had had a "normal looking" outlet, but when viewed down the outlet with a flashlight, the hole was only as big as a pencil!

I posted photos here, but I am not sure where, it's been a year or so...

Last edited:

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
Yeah I think it must have something to do with the new exhaust as you guys say. Goat herder, the bike will throttle to about 30-32 kmp/hr, then slow back to like 25kmp/hr..then throttle back up to 30kmp/hr again. But wont stay at 30 kmp/hr and will not go faster than that either.

Goat herder you mentioned that the float bowl could be catching up? what exactly do you mean and how do i check?. I have taken float bowl off and inside there is just that basic plastic puck...it moves in and out just fine no jams. Thanks!

I am gonna check the muffler bikerguyjoe and see if the hole and weld job has set restrictions on the new muffler for allowing proper flow. I am also going to go back to my original gasket as it has been worked in.

Was considering a way to attach another chain tensioner on my Pacific Coast Chopper to keep the chain from rubbing up against the larger rear tire. Any ideas outside of the sprocket adapter? I already have one chain tensioner set to push the chain upwards above the brake, so the chain runs parallel about an inch apart.

Thanks again guys for all your input, this forum rocks!

Watts

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Stick with checking The muffler first. If the float bowl is too low[ is the available gas in the carb] at the time. So if the motor is wide open throttle that available gas gets used up until the float bowl releases and catches up. One might think that if it opens then gas simply starts pouring in but the needle valve can partially restrict flow if bowl is set too tight.

I some how missed the part about the muffler. Stick with it first. Then let us know.

Watts

Mar 22, 2010
Ontario
The muffller seems to make a slightly louder noise then the original muffler that broke. I do however think my problem lies in the throttle and intake. Seems as tho bike is getting gas then slowing down then going fast again once it gets another shot of gas.

I have checked housing on throttle and it seems to move up and down fine, I have however noticed a lot more gas than usual leaking from the bottom of the float bowl. How do I adjust the float bowl as I think this may be my problem.

I also have my chain tensioner set so the chain runs straight across not down and under the brakes like I have seen on other choppers here. Whats the take on where the chain tensioner be set, to have the chain over the brake was working fine for 600km...but sometimes the chain going into the motor gear and the chain commming out the motor gear sit literally only 1/4-1/2 inch apart.

Thanks
Watts