what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
today I moved mine out of the way so I could get the battery charger out of the garage, 'cause my car was dead.
These are my favorite ones, because I can see it in my head.... "Fricking thing, *OUCH* What is that? Since when do we have a ...!" of course a always picture the garage to be as cluttered as my head lol!

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Of all the rotten luck! I go out for a brief ride after fixing up my rear wheel, got my bike all warmed up and purring, and the throttle cable snaps. It's not a difficult fix, I know. I'm just bummed because it's another few bucks and it means I don't get to ride for a while. :(
So, anyone got a preferred place to get good throttle cables for a China Girl? I think I'm gonna shop around a bit. First stop: Dax.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
DAX!!!! Shipping is a little nuts for small parts, they're reliable, and that counts for more in my book. Might check the bicycle repair section of your local ace hardware or wally world, the Bell replacement cable kits for multi geared bikes might help. I don't have my spares handy, but at least one end of one cable has an end identical to the China Girl's, where it attaches to the carb slide. Worth checking, could eliminate all the wait and shipping...

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I am trying to make my ride safe with the lights etc. needed. I have a diode headlight coming and have mounted bags to contain a motorcycle battery to run stuff They have rear diodes for turn signals. I had a pair of little diode front signals and am trying to make a mount. So far I used a 5/8" O.D. copper tube 12" long with copper caps on the ends drilled to contain the nuts. The wires exit through an oblong 1/4" wide X 3/8" long slot in the middle and wires will be protected with shrink tubing where they exit. I will make a plate to anchor with the handlebar clamp and mount the tube with 2 U-bolts. I have a little turn switch coming that is supposed to contain a flasher but at less tan $2.00 I am skeptical. I already have one that is supposed to have a horn and light button as well but as yet have not figured out the wiring. Maybe the light switch is bi-stable and I need to push harder. At any rate, if I use it, I will need a flasher unit. I can rig a TI NE556 dual timing chip from RS with resistors and capacitors to determine the on and off times. The output doesn't care if they are diodes or filaments. A pair of crappy mirrors are also on the way. I may install a micro-switch over the slack run of the peddle chain to run the brake light.

Attachments

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Stock muffler guts fell out. I salvaged the cap, put in some large guage stainless steel pot scrubber and is only a tiny bit louder than stock with deeper tone.

Engine runs better

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
I actually rode Tanglebones today! Gods do I need to jet down, now that I'm running my 56t rear sprocket, there's not enough load on the motor for my previous tuneing, which was already rich just a tad. Going to try to source the micro drills I need locally, but may have to order them.

May have also gone overboard on my gear reduction, but it do climb good. Really good...

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
Track Fodder, I took that whole sentace as a pun, not sure if that was the intent lol.

Allen Wrench, I was thinking of something else entirely, as such, your bike's name is far more inspired than I had hoped. Tempus is an excellent name for such a bike, as much for the definition as because you like it.

This afternoon, I fiddled with my derailur a bit, I really need to get a new pedal chain and do away with the derailur entirely. Gotta take the 56t over to the boss's place and use his bench grinder to dress the teeth. Didn't really look at it till today, and when I noticed the flat sides of the teeth hadn't been beveled. I checked the Dax website before I called, glad I didn't bother Duane, says in their online kit install instructions, that you'll have to bevel them yourself. Not like I mind, any labor savings on their end is money savings on mine, not that I approve of cutting corners, just some corners don't need to be there to begin with.

Trying to decide on paint color, I'm quite partial to green, but I've heard it's a bad idea as most color blind people can't see green and blues very well. Not sure how much I believe that or care, but I sure won't be using red that's fer sure! Blue, green and black are just about all that appeals to me, I'm leaning towards black or blue, as my '63 Shwinn American is already green, and will get fresh paint before hitting the road. Speaking of the "Troll", I got the crank freed up! The Bendix coaster break is cleaned up awaiting reassembly. Finally got the front fender off, had to cut the gooseneck bolt and use vicegrips on the remnant, but its out and the fender is off. The Breakfree CLP worked wonders on the crank, but the fender bolt was to far gone, even after a month of daily "drip soaking", oh well.

Hey blue! Hope it's warming up over there. Always love your homebrew mods, keep em coming. Got to agree with your point on tires, I'm only going to get so many miles out of a set, so why pay so much more? I run the cheap Kevlar Bells, as even Kendas are $45+ each around here, heck, my bells cost $53 for the pair or somethin like that. Keep it shiny side up, and be safe!
Did you ever notice how easily you can pick out yellow cars in a lot? That is why I paint my stuff yellow. No excuse for not seeing me.

Attachments

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
No. No yellow. Nice car though bud, but not my color.

My friend Scott called me up to come help him with his bike, which wouldn't start. After a simple clutch adjustment to his China Girl, he was off and running again. Scott has been really frustrated and stressed lately, so he just overlooked something simple.

We took the bikes around the neighborhood, playing cat and mouse. He's running a 44t to my 56t, so it was fun. I had him on the hills easily, but he sure walked away on the flats. I figure if I go back to a 44t he'll never have a chance. We're hoping to get out again tomorrow, if the wind calms down.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Well, I got to go for a ride with Scotty again today, great weather, just a breeze, rather than the gale howling outside yesterday. About two miles from his place, I lost spark... Tuesday after work I'm taking the bike over to his house to test the mag on his ohm meter, but I think my CDI took a poop. Either way, good ol Scotty has volunteered spare parts.

Can't complain too loud, it was a pleasure ride, not important, and the first real failure in 2,756 miles.

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
got my buddies bike running yesterday and it topped out so far at 40mph and it's not even broken in yet, it's a dax motor and it's the most solid motor we've seen fro him yet. mine the beach cruiser in the background tops around 30 i did hit a new top speed this morning going to work at 37mph. i'm going to have my cheez kit in a couple days and will be able to hopefully beat my coworker on his 29er with a 44t sprocket and the dax motor.

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
i put a brand new cheezy pk80 on my bike yesterday, was able to run about half a tank through it and so far at half throttle it is as fast as my old motor. To be fair the old motor was burning the piston and a slight score on the cylinder, it can and will be fixed and a new piston in and it'll be great. i can't wait until this motor is broken in then i will get a different exhaust, i had to use my stock NTC carb to get it running, come to find out that the jets on the new carb were unscrewed and floating in the float bowl. i havent put it back on to test just yet because i changed the intake as well.
also i have this axle and i was wondering if anyone knows if there's other sprockets i can use for it, maybe a slightly smaller one, or will i have to modify one to work? http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit...uning-non-free-wheel-heavy-duty-axle-kit.html

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
i got to ride it around all day yesterday and it broke in and topped out at 44 i modified my exhaust and it's got great torque but is four stroking back in the higher rpm's i put the stock one back on and will find out tomorrow if it's better.

Aug 26, 2015
Overgaard AZ
Ok for the past three or four days (here and there) my nephew Lil Indian (Trevor Lee is half Navajo and my family is not PC) have been prepping for paint. He turned his first wrenches on my Tanglebones just the other day, a proud moment for me.

We managed to get the primer coats done today, just before the rain hit, go us! Indian did most of the sanding, Uncle Kaveman (to him and his siblings, I've never had another name, they have no idea who Chris is...) did all the real technical spots, kid went clear to bare metal with unbridled enthusiasm, proud as a peacock. His favorite color is blue, and he went nuts when he saw the metallic krylon I found at ace. He got to spray the forest green I found in a ditch, I had him spray the chain ring, pedals and crank arms, along with one side of my 56t sprocket. So now most of the running gear is green, and has a few runs.

I teach him the way my grandfather taught me. Show him how, hand him the stuff, MAYBE, help him out a bit. Then, walk away. When he comes to me and says, "I'm done, Uncle Kaveman!" I ask him, "Really, are you satisfied with your work? Its as near to perfect as you can manage?". With some tasks, you of course double check and point out mistakes or improvements, the runs in my paint will stay, for now. When asked the question, his answer was an athurotive yes. The imperfections will stay, I pointed them out, and told him "Every time someone notices, I'll tell the truth, you did it. When folks complement the colors, I'll complain about the runs you left.". Yes, I'm shaming a fatherless eleven year old boy, exactly the same way at exactly the same age as my grandaddy done to me.

Before you say anything hear me out. My grandpa taught me how to rattlecan on his truck camper. My grandaddy made a very similar comment, in a much "coarser" tone. Three weeks later, I had saved up enough money to replace the paint I wasted, and a bit more for some sand paper, and started fixing the mistakes just like he had shown me to begin with.

When my sister left the mountain, she left the oldest with me. I've since managed to get him to pull his grades up, and started to teach him how to cook. Man-child will now move on to the sixth grade, and makes a fine sketti! But best of all, he's beginning to take on a work ethic, which is my only real hope.

Lil Indian went to bed tonight asking about the price of paint, and saying how the neighbors behind us owe him money for some such reason... It's working already... Some days, he makes me so proud, some, I want to stuff him in a box and mail him to my sister. Mostly he's a great kid, heart like a lion and so sharp he cuts himself. With any luck we'll spray the color coat tomorrow, I have no doubt that his next rattlecan job will be perfect, he's already very meticulous, I reckon his mistakes were due to his lack of glasses, I didn't want overspray on them, so it was just the cheapie sunglasses.

If he does fix his runs, because the idea bugs him, I'll pony up the paint for his pedaler, which he's already dreaming of...

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
It's great to see someone teaching a little some good work ethic, far too often it's not stressed enough to be proud of what you. It's more than just being proud of what you do it's being proud but also being able to take feedback and utilize that feedback to improve in those areas that need it.
Will you post a picture of the bike once it's painted? i'm very curious to see it.

Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com
added axle tensioners
opened up brake lever clamps, throttle handle clamp and grip- installed same onto my custom handle bars
attached throttle cable to needle, spring, cap, etc. mounted assembly and installed the carburator
measured for the eaxhaust i need to bend, the occ tuned one is too low now that the frame is so low to the ground

I also keep thinking about gas tank alternatives. The stock tank is ugly, and ruins the lines of the bike, but it is easy and the price is right. Among items under consideration are a canteen and a stainless water bottle

before

after

phatcruiser

Sep 23, 2013
San Diego
Lost an engine mounting stud. Front left stud. Discovered the local ace hardware. Holy metric selection batman..!!!!. Impressive what they have. Had to paint the area in the frame where the Loose mount rubbed away the paint. Got a new mounting stud.

Received the insurance policy for the bike in the mail today. A 7/16 hardened steel security chain. 5' woot woot. And an anti theft padlock. Very heavy. Unfortunately it is a requirement where I live or you'll lose your bike. The rear rack bag came for the insurance policy and was installed

received the sick bike parts expansion chamber and installed it. Very ghettO, my installation skills were the major contributing factor to the ghetto look.,Heh heh. Very solid install.

Now if it will stop raining!

tgaydos

Jul 16, 2015
astoria oregon
I mounted my disc brake on the front.

[/URL]

I need to change the forks out though as when I was taking it apart to paint I noticed the bearing on the top of the head tube was completely mashed and dug into the fork a little bit. Luckily I had another bearing to put in it's place but the damage is done.

[/URL]