eye protection

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I wear glasses but would like extra eye protection while riding. Are there any goggles that cover glasses but don't look like they should come with a snorkle?
Perscription goggles are way out of my price range.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Yup... get a full face helmet or one with a face shield.... the goggles that fit over regular glasses are huge and bulky and the prescription goggles are very pricy... besides a little head protection goes a long way if you take a spill... I sprained my wrist and skinned up my knee as well as messed up my big toe in just a split second turning one.of my bikes around in the street to put it up for the night... it was onnmy wife's buell blast, I was working the carb out in the driveway and got to a stopping point at about 3 am so I wanted to put the bike up for the night... took it out to the street to turn it around, the bike hesitated then lunged forward straight toward the curb, I hit the brake and flipper the bike, tried to jump off but it slammed me to the ground. I tried to catch myself with my hand and it swelled up instantly. Had to take a trip to the er in the middle of the night and luckily there were no fractures but my left hand was useless for about 6 weeks...
will inwear a helmet and gloves just to turn a bike around from now on? No, but I wont be trying to move a bike in the middlenof the night with engine problems... but this just goes to show anything can happen at any time so take your safety gear seriously...
Another one that wasn't so nice was just a quick test ride around the block after doing some work on my old kz 700... I had my helmet on but had the visor up and wasn't wearing safety glasses.. going about 30mph I hit a June bug right into my left eye.. it hurt like crazy but I kept the bike under control, got home and flushed my eye out, my eye was actually bleeding from this and the next morning it was sealed shut from the dried blood while I was sleeping, got it cleaned up but could only see fuzzy outlines of everything for a few weeks as it healed up. Now after this little mishap I ALWAYS wear eye protection no matter how short the trip or how slow I'm going... that one hurt but could have been way worse if I was going faster...

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
davezilla..you've reminded me of a 'bug' story of my own. I was riding an old Yamaha XS650 down a two-lane road out in the sticks. Had a friend on board. Doing 50 or 55, I suppose.

Along came a wasp or hornet and smacked right into the inside edge of my collar. Pretty near, say, my jugular vein. I remember seeing him coming and feeling that smack.

Then he fell down inside my jacket and stung me 4 or 5 times in a line right down my back. I held onto the handlebars (it wasn't painful enough to put that in jeopardy, of course), but I was yelling and jerking and slamming on the brakes.

I don't remember having to wait for my friend to get off that bike when I got it stopped. I think he was outta there like a gunshot. I jumped off, still yelling, and stripped my jacket off. I looked and he was across the road looking at me like I'd come from Mars. He'd thought that I was going psycho behind the wheel and was gonna take him with me.

I don't recall exactly who spoke first, but it was probably him. Something like, "What the heck's the matter with you?" In any case, I told him what had happened and then he understood.

All the same, you're just never perfectly safe I guess.

Anyway......eye protection. I'm quite happy with the tinted and clear glasses/goggles that paintballers use. I find them in Wal-Mart sporting goods section. Good price and good coverage of your face.

Here's an example.
DSCN0446.JPG

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Haha... I got a bee story of my own that's pretty funny but wasn't so funny when it happened...
I was riding my Intruder 1400 to work one afternoon and on the highway doing about 80 mph wearing blue jean shorts, the wind always opens up the pant legs while riding and next thing I feel something hit me and go up my pant leg... next thing I feel almost instantly is a nice big sting... that thing got me about 6 times and I'm doing 80 mph in heavy traffic so I couldn't pull over. I finally get off the highway and I'm headed toward work when I feel this thing hit me a few more times, get to work, jump off the bike and damn near rip my pants off in the parking lot, people are looking at me al weird thinking what the **** is this guy doing... Out falls a big giant bumble bee and there's it's stinger stuck in my leg.. along with several welts where it got me before the stinger finally came off and stuck in.
I make it inside and get clocked in, then I go to the bathroom and check the damage... that thing got me about 6 times and I had no choice but to stay at work and deal with it until the stinging finally calmed down... That was probably a one in a million shot but with my luck and already running short on time I couldn't stop or anything without being late to work and all and I could just iagine what the people in the cars around me were thinking when I'm about jumping off my seat everytime that damn bee got me...

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Haha... I got a bee story of my own that's pretty funny but wasn't so funny when it happened...
I was riding my Intruder 1400 to work one afternoon and on the highway doing about 80 mph wearing blue jean shorts, the wind always opens up the pant legs while riding and next thing I feel something hit me and go up my pant leg......
I feel your pain, brother. I understand.

But maybe I got the better deal. After all, it was only my back.

And now we see that things very well could have been worse :)

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
Mine are kinda like this
my pair have a different style of strap and tinted (and cracked) lenses

not sure how impact safe they are, but they don't fog up much, and neither do my glasses under them (sides have vent holes, so does the top, fabric glued over that for dust) and they cut the level of wind hitting my eyes drastically. also if I decide to do so I can really easily replace the lens in them with any flat see through plastic I find, just two rivets.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
A decent 3/4 helmet & face shield is under 60 bucks. New.

I wear glasses. The helmet is the way to go.

Pick a bright color or stripe. Research shows that other drivers see that first in traffic. It makes you a "vehicle" in the mind of the other drivers.

Buy a helmet. Use it.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Everybody with miles under their bets will say the same thing, always wear eye protection. I even do it in summer on a non motor bicycle here to keep the insects out of my eyes.

Last edited: