First build log book.

GoldenMotor.com

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
.we.Hello everyone, last night I picked up a cool looking straight bar frame from the local CL, with the intention of using it as my first motor bike build.

I'm starting this thread as a log book of the whole process and I'll updated as progress moves along.

Here's the frame I bought:

From the seller's description, he said it was from the mid 50's. The badge reads Black Knight and it says made in Western Germany.

Seller's pic;

Using some heat to line up the rear triangle, it was a tiny bit off.

Head badge. Now removed for future use.

Crappy pic of the "made in" info.

Plans are as follow;
Frame has been stripped. It will be sand blasted, inspected and powder coated. I decided on semi gloss black with a silver pearl.

The engine kit will be here tomorrow, so while the frame is getting done, I will familiarize myself with the engine kit and source all other items needed.

I will probably strip down a Murray Sabre Flite I have since I don't want to spend a lot on this build, and use those wheels, crank, headset etc.

One thing I need help with is finding/building an in-frame gas tank. Are there any reputable builders in the forum or vendors' list? Does it look like this frame would accommodate another frames' tank? I can take pics of the area and measurements. I absolutely hate the cheaply looking tank that comes with the China kit.

If you have any info on the bike, company or fuel tank, please let me know. Well that's it for now, thanks for reading!!!
Joey

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
One thing I need help with is finding/building a in frame gas tank. Are there any reputable builders in the forum or vendors' list?

If you have any info on the bike, company or fuel tank, please let me know. Well that's it for now, thanks for reading!!!
Joey
Fantastic frame and classy badge.

The best custom made gas tanks at a more than fair price are made
by James at www.ghettobike.com

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
Well I was extremely happy to find a FedEx package when I got home but after opening the package I was upset at finding a broken spark plug.

Luckily after giving the complete engine and all other items a thorough once over, I didn't find anything else broken or damaged.

I was also planning on buying a new/aftermarket plug, since I was not a fan of what was included, so no biggie.

Look at this lil' guy ;)

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
While waiting on the powder coating, I've done the following:

Replaced spark plug, studs and gaskets.
Ported the intake and exhausts manifolds.
Shorted muffler inner exit pipe.
Added new Mobil1 grease.
Added threadlock to all new studs.

Just doing the recommended items I've read in the forum ;)

Last edited:

Going2Hell

Nov 22, 2013
Victor, Colorado
www.facebook.com
So far so good, I agree on the frame as well... Nice!

Where the tank is concerned, if you are a DIY type... I had found a thread with a pattern for that frametype somewhere in these forums. So long ago I cant remember my search!

Otherwise... You're on the right track and keep following those little bits of info to give you the edge!

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
Sorry for the delay but between the wait for the powder coater and trying to source a gas tank and a few other parts I haven't done much. Unfortunately an in-frame tank is not monetary feasible at the moment, so I ordered a rear-rack one. The plan is to fabricate and powdercoat a metal plate to go in place of the frame tank and make a decal with my "brandname".

Here are some pics and then some more questions :)

This is the frame right after getting it back from the coater. The color is a semi gloss black. I didn't want a full flat-black nor a gloss, so this worked out great.

Here are some engine components.

Mocking up the engine.

More pics coming!

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
I didn't like the front mount setup so I played with it a bit. These pics were of the first mock up, the mount is now bolted with thicker/stronger bolts and the engine is rock solid.

I formed the top plate to sit flush with the frame tube. I didn't like just the corner/edge of the plate making contact. I have formed the plate even more, so it has a greater contact point.

Here's the logo that will go on the in-frame plate where the tank would have gone if I had more money ha.

Hope you like em!!!

Now here are my questions:
Where can I find a 90degree bent seat post? I have been searching omline and can't find them.

Unfortunately I think that my engine sits too close to the bottom bracket and the crank that will go there. Is anybody using a small 20/22 tooth front sprocket?

Talking about bottom brackets and cranks, what shoud i be looking for if I wanted to buy a new one? This is not a regular sized one like my old school bmx bikes.

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
Thank you guys for the info. I contacted a fellow member regarding the seatpost, I'll post more info once it's done :)

Here are some progress pics!
Making the in-frame tankless plate. Cardboard cutout.

I'm using this old under engine panel from an old cracked piece. The piece came from the top part of the shield.

Here's the final product, although I'm not sure on the color. Also don't mind the forks, those will not go on the bike. I have ordered some springer forks. I painted the plate a gold metallic color and shaved it a bit more to fit flush.

I'll make sure to get some better pics. I think for now the frame plate will do the overall design justice, so the gas tank will not be needed anytime soon ;).
Thanks for all the help!!!

Last edited:

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
Well I don't have pics but the bike is coming along nicely. One thing I'll need to get is a mount extender cause the engine sits too low. So if anyone has any recommendations, please post them up.

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
Over the past few weeks I have gotten some work done on the bike. I'm going for a 1920's/30's board track racer look and this is coming together quite well.

Test fitting the front fork and wheel.

Here's the rear wheel, handlebars and rear rack gas tank test fitted.

Had some free time at work last week, so more work was done.

And finally after switching the handlebars around and securing all the parts. Now I have to fix a crank to it.

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
I couldn't ride the bike with the upside down bars, it was killing my left wrist which I had damaged at work years ago.

Also I may need to think outside the box with the chainring and pedals. As high as the engine is, I think both of those will hit the covers. I'm thinking I'll go with a smaller(new style) chainring and may even bent the pedal arms for clearance.

I'm going to work on that next week :)

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lookin' suweeet, Joey.

Dunno about the chainring but normal pedals will work fine. Only need wide cranks if you use a pullstart.

joey1320

Jul 15, 2014
Cleveland
Haven't done much to the bike recently, since I've been messing with a project car of mine, but I did buy what I think will be a cool addition to the bike.

I'm going to turn this trailer into a sidecar, has anybody done that here? I will remove the canvas, add a wooden floor board and go from there. Whatcha think?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool, Joey. Gonna look sharp.

Some great side cars here on the funny pages. I don't remember one made from a pre made trailer. Am sure there are some and would be great to see some work arounds and approaches.

If ya search it above, be sure to check out the one made from a canoe. Really cool.

Looking forward to seeing what ya build!