Powder Coating!

GoldenMotor.com

NorthEastRiot

Jul 18, 2012
Dover NH
These are a couple of samples of the powder coating that I do to my bike parts. If you want a super sleek hard colored finish that can stand the test of time then powder coating is the best solution. I have a few good colors to select from but rather stick to black for this particular project. I hate chrome so I am redoing anything chrome on my bike to be either white or black. The bulk of the bike is black, white just serves as an excellent accent. If anyone is interested in powder coating then feel free to message me I'd be happy to help others out with their projects!

I should also add that the engine in these picture is a 2 stroke black angle fire, for those of you who purchase these "black" engines you will be horribly disappointed when you find out that even the tiniest bit of precipitation will take the "black" off of your engine. I used brake clean to remove all of the crap they call black off of the engine, sandblasted the parts, powder coat, and zabam badass looking stuff. The engine is for a different project than the bike seen in the photos, the bike in the photos is getting a Huasheng 4 Stroke with Q-Matic.

Attachments

NorthEastRiot

Jul 18, 2012
Dover NH
Yeah I thought I would also put the chain on the front tire. Haha what y'all are lookin at is me throwing something back together to bring it inside. All in all 4-strokes have my heart.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This is no joke. Several years ago we had a new member post a photo of his engine asking why his carb leaked. It was installed upside down. I can only imagine how much trouble he had getting the throttle cable to work and connecting the fuel line but he did it. The problem was that pesky fuel leak that he couldn't seem to figure out.

All kidding aside, your powder coat does look good and as you said, it is a bullet proof finish, if done right, that will last and look good for a long time.
Thanks for sharing.

Tom

NorthEastRiot

Jul 18, 2012
Dover NH
I'm pretty sure powder coat melts from high engine heat. :/
Only if the person you have doing it is using low temp powder. I've been powder coating engine pieces for a 1929 Chrysler Roadster and 56 Ford Crown Vic over the last 10 years with my grandfather who taught it onto me, I use the same paints he does and have included a picture to an engine block that was powder coated some time ago so that you can see the result the coating standing the test of time on a super high heat engine. I use a particular paints that won't break down with solvents or high temps leaving a nice long lasting coat that I still get to sport every day.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The cylinder heads and intake manifold on the Chevy engine in my sedan are powder coated gloss black. No signs of problems even at the exhaust header flange. 60K miles and counting.

Like the man said, if the powder coater doesn't know his stuff or uses the wrong material you can have problems. I had a rear axle housing done and the stuff scuffed worse than a rattle can paint job. They made it right but I never went back to them.

There are companies that only do stuff like lawn furniture and fence posts. Don't take custom parts to them. Look for a professional who knows how to do the job we and custom car builders/restorers expect. Or, learn to do it yourself :)

Tom

NorthEastRiot

Jul 18, 2012
Dover NH
The cylinder heads and intake manifold on the Chevy engine in my sedan are powder coated gloss black. No signs of problems even at the exhaust header flange. 60K miles and counting.

Like the man said, if the powder coater doesn't know his stuff or uses the wrong material you can have problems. I had a rear axle housing done and the stuff scuffed worse than a rattle can paint job. They made it right but I never went back to them.

There are companies that only do stuff like lawn furniture and fence posts. Don't take custom parts to them. Look for a professional who knows how to do the job we and custom car builders/restorers expect. Or, learn to do it yourself :)

Tom
I am sure you'll enjoy what you see in the photo I just put up in addition to my response.

NorthEastRiot

Jul 18, 2012
Dover NH
This is no joke. Several years ago we had a new member post a photo of his engine asking why his carb leaked. It was installed upside down. I can only imagine how much trouble he had getting the throttle cable to work and connecting the fuel line but he did it. The problem was that pesky fuel leak that he couldn't seem to figure out.

All kidding aside, your powder coat does look good and as you said, it is a bullet proof finish, if done right, that will last and look good for a long time.
Thanks for sharing.

Tom
Man I really feel bad for that guy. I have seen a couple things myself that I have questioned, the advertising for motorized bicycles really makes it sound like a simple process I have young guys in their early twenties asking to buy my bikes all the time so I talk to them first to make sure that they are aware of all the things, starting with finances, that come with this awesome hobby. Usually by then end people are turned off by the idea of how much work they would have to put in but I have had a couple of successful guys pick up the trade and take some year old projects off my hands.