Some Additions to the Schwinn!

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Some Additions to the Schwinn! Photo Update!

Ok so after the rear coaster brake hub failed (drive side spoke flange seperated from hub) on me I never quite trusted its direct replacement. After realizing that the HD hub BGF sent me was useless ($50 wasted) I ordered the one from bicycle-engines.com w/o freewheel. I also ordered a set of heavy duty wheels front w/ sturmey hub and rear I rebuilt w/ Hd axle kit. The hd hub requires a dish on the drive side so I centered it to the frame. It also includes a band brake (sorta the opposite of a drum). And last but not least I bought the monarch replica forks. The forks are by no means a bolt on addition to the schwinn.
There is no race on the bottom of the steering tube for the lower bearing cone to press on to, so the cone id is too large and supposedly none avail. The steering tube is too long and not threaded far down enough for my frame.
The pivots come shimmed on the inside for like a 3 1/2" wide hub or ?.
So anyway it's not quite done; more work tomorrow. But it's lookin' so nice I had to post some pics!
Oh yea that's a moped tank I'm workin' on!

Attachments

Last edited:

xPosTech

The Old Master Motorized Bicycle Builder
Oct 23, 2008
SETexas
If you use Photobucket to host your photos you can automatically resize them as you upload them. Then just paste the image codes in line in your post.

Ted

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
pics are up. road it today and it's smooth; needs a little dialing in though. brakes are awesome! wheels are sweet!
those monark forks are stiff. they definately are not a bolt on replacement. I had to shim the pivot plates and mount on them on the outside of the fork tubes. I had to machine a shim to raise the lower crown race up and bring the threads down so that I can tension the headset.

Last edited: