Has a death wish in Fl... (pix)

GoldenMotor.com

CrazyCatLady

Jun 21, 2011
Tampa Bay
Hey all, I must be crazy, but here I am trying to build one of these two wheeled death machines. I'll mostly lurk, but chime in when my female sensibilities won't allow me to keep quiet. There are some very impressive bikes here, I feel like the neophyte that I am.

Some info on my build so far: Wmart Cranny, Velo seat, Titec **** Bent bars, 90* stem, Odyssey monolever, Diacomp canti brake with Eclat pads and generic rag joint rear sprocket. I've got a tank and petcock coming from 1977mopeds. My engine is a 2 stroke off of a 70's brush trimmer, the only info I could find on it is that it was made by Aircap Industries (Japan) and sold by Sears under the Craftsman label. The engine is 38cc's and has a cute lil' Mikuni carb. I'm in the process of sourcing parts to build a jackshaft so I can mount my little beast in the middle of my frame. I was going to use my track bike for this build, but decided I'd use the cheapie bike for the test mule.

Attachments

TNault

Feb 2, 2011
Florida
i stay in the kissimmee area but i used to stay in south tampa for the longest. st pete beach used to be my favorite

CrazyCatLady

Jun 21, 2011
Tampa Bay
I live close to St. Pete Beach, it's nice. Thanks for pointing out that my engine looks like a cag engine (which I had to look up.) My engine is almost certainly the predecessor of the Chinese pocket bike engines. Now I know why the gear reduction drive I bought fit with so little modification. I'll be on the lookout for cag performance parts now.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Welcome to the forum. Just curious. Are you mostly interested in this for fun or more for inexpensive transportation? Will you use it to commute to work? Or all of the above? Lots of good people here who will help as they can. Looks like an interesting build.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's a good looking bike and your cantilever frame gives you lots of room for the engine. Once you have it all together and go riding off with a big smile on your face, prepare yourself for lots of questions from people wanting to know where you got it, how fast does it go, how many miles per gallon, etc. etc. But that's part of the fun, I think. By the way, it's nice to see another lady here on the forum. Helps to give us some balance, I think.
SB

CrazyCatLady

Jun 21, 2011
Tampa Bay
This bike is just for fun, I work in a Dr.'s office and it would not be appreciated if I came to work smelling of exhaust fumes. Should I have gotten a less spork-y looking Chinese engine? I don't see the appeal of the same kit that nearly everyone else has, plus this one was free and runs like a champ.

CrazyCatLady

Jun 21, 2011
Tampa Bay
I forgot to mention the reason for my title of this introduction thread is because of the sheer number of bicycle involved hit and runs in my area. It's a little scary. But anyway, thanks for the votes of confidence, SB and Mike.

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
that's a tough motor to mount in frame vary wide-it's a reed valve motor that's a good thing as it's small cc.
could we have a pic of the motor and bike in the same pic so we can see how you are going to mount it?

brother john

Jun 25, 2011
Indy
This bike is just for fun, I work in a Dr.'s office and it would not be appreciated if I came to work smelling of exhaust fumes. Should I have gotten a less spork-y looking Chinese engine? I don't see the appeal of the same kit that nearly everyone else has, plus this one was free and runs like a champ.
Pay no mind to me sister.... I had a rough childhood...besides working for the doc you oughta recognize "certifiable"... My engines were free too... God gave me mine(Im still peddling and pedaling) where did you get yours?
p.s.s.t... Dont tell nobody little sister.... but I respect your spunk in defending your spork! ;0)
and I dont know about the rest of these gear jockeys but a nurses uniform with a hint of carbon monoxide???....Meeeoooww!!!

Last edited:

CrazyCatLady

Jun 21, 2011
Tampa Bay
Here's a pic of approximately where the engine will be mounted. Keep in mind the carb and (as of yet non-existent) air cleaner are not on yet. The motor mount plate will also hold the jackshaft that will allow the engine to be mounted in the center of the frame, as someone mentioned this engine is pretty wide for its size. The sweaty arm belongs to my father, who gave me the engine and "the sickness." ;)

Attachments

ducedave

Apr 17, 2011
Mentone Ca.
CrazyCatLady I see that motor is a heck of alot smaller then earlier pic had me thinking I'm shore you can get that in there cool stuff

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy and welcome Cat-Lady.

Really enjoying your humor and good cheer. Very impressed with your starting out with a DIY project.

Speaking of that, have ya looked around the DIY section? Some amazing folks here.

Any way, great to meet you and post lots of pics of your build!

Last edited: