Help, chain hits 2.125 tires

GoldenMotor.com

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
Hello
Put a 80cc slanthead on a Murray cruiser. Pulled off all fenders, flipped the bars, and have everything ready to go except install drive chain. However it hits the tire.. Tried leaning motor but it just straightens out as I tighten the motor mounts.. Help?

haste

Aug 2, 2009
af
Was really excited to ride today.. Now another week or so since I gotta get a new chain?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Change the tire not the chain, # 41 is a wider chain not narrower....

Just get a 26x1.95 size tire on the back of the bike or a 26x1.75 and the clearance issue will likely go away, that is what I did on all three of my bikes I have the 26x1.95 on 2 of them and I have some very heavy duty 26x1.75 tires on another, chain rubbed the tire on 2 of them before I made the switch and they both originally had the 26x2.125 cruiser tires on them.

narrower back tire should fix you right up, the #41 chain WILL make the problem worse the #415 chain is a 1/2 x 3/16 chain & the #41 chain deminsions are 1/2 x 1/4, it is 1/16" wider than the #415 chain.

Check out the link here, I have these on one of my bikes which is a Huffy Beach Cruiser and they clear everything great, these are awesome tires too, low rolling resistance and good side bite when cornering on or off road, and they are sold here at a great price as well.

Check-em out here: http://www.amazon.com/Kenda-K908-Pathfinder-Blackwall-1-95-Inch/dp/B002DX1DGW/ref=pd_sbs_sg_2

Good luck with the build bro.

Peace

Was really excited to ride today.. Now another week or so since I gotta get a new chain?

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Get a thinner tire.

Worked for me. I run a 26 x 2.0 Serfas Drifter.

Yeah, make sure the chain doesn't hit the tire or the chain stay. That's dangerous.

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
You can "re-dish" the wheel so the hub flange where the rag joint attaches is out further. Re-dish means tighten or loosening the spokes so that it moves the hub left or right. It may cause the the pedal side chain hit the wheel so you can't dish it too far. A bike shop can do it for 10 to 20 dollars.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I know this because I have used the #41 chain a lot over the years on many go karts, mini bike and other things including some machinery, no biggy man that was just an honest mistake, at least you were trying to help someone out and that is more than some do at times......so you get big credit for your effort as far as I'm concerned, I wasn't trying to shoot you down with my post either I hope you understand that.

I just wanted to make sure he didn't go out and buy something that I knew would make is current problem even worse, that's all I was doing.

I'm in the same boat you are, I learn something new all the time, thats what makes this great forum such a blessing for us all IMHO....

Peace

your right a #41 chain is .535
a 415 chain is .531

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I hate that 415.

Why don't they just put a thinner engine sprocket on and use BMX chain?

Life would be better.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Some of the kits still come with the 410 chain and from what I understand they pretty much all used the thinner chain in the begginning but 410 chain is very weak in comparison to the 1/2 X 3/16 chain, so I'm glad we can use heavier chain myself, I would have probably already had a lot of broken chain issues by now with my mod'd engine is I were having to run 410/ standard bike chain.

I hate that 415.

Why don't they just put a thinner engine sprocket on and use BMX chain?

Life would be better.

glennbo

Aug 24, 2010
HAMMOND
i have used washers in between the sprocket and ragjoint be carefull not to use to many or you will have issues with the coaster brake arm or rubbing the frame.

glenn.shft.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
or you can get the smaller tire for like fifteen bucks thats what i did. the 26x2 tires are too wide. i rubbed right through to the inner wall on two of those tires before i switched. once i switched i had plenty of clearance. i wouldnt recommend anyone use balloon tires on an mb anyway. balloon tires are for different terrain like sandy or marshy, not for roads

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While it would no doubt be the easiest solution to switch to a smaller tire... I gotta say I disagree bigbutterbean, "balloon tires" work wonderfully to help absorb some of the shock of road "irregularities" (otherwise known as potholes heh), help preserve the rims & seem to corner better at the higher speeds of motorized bicycle riding, I always strive to put the largest tires I can on my builds (2.125, 2.1 & 2 currently).

While it's true you may have chain clearance issues & they've a slightly higher rolling resistance, they've sweet road tires w/wraparound tread that's great for street, they're not all jus' for beach cruisers lol, many of the 'Death Race' guys are runnin' some pretty honkin' tires...

*shrug* still, it's w/e works best for you and yer build ofc, to each their own ;)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bigbutterbean,
A lot of experienced and accomplished builders and riders here on the forum would disagree with your statement about balloon tires. I like big feet under me, especially with a lot of weight up above. Heavy frame, engine, gas tank, maybe a transmission, suspension front end adds a lot of weight. I like to have the tires substantial, too, and run as wide as I can get away with. Cruiser tires are great road tires in my opinion. Notice how motorcycles have wider tires? There's a reason.

Regarding the chain clearance issue. Smaller tire width is an option, but I'd try to find a way to keep the fat boy if possible. Sometimes the chain tensioner (if you use one) can be tweaked out a bit to redirect the chain enough for clearance. I'm guessing you have a rag joint. Is the driven sprocket dished in or out? Out will give a little more clearance from the tire.
SB

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I run Maxxis HolyRollers 2.2 tires on my Mtb.- chain clearance from the tire is about 1/8" or less, I know I can see daylight in between chain and tire. and I ve got 100's of miles on these. you have some alignment issues some where! Big tires are the way to go in my opinion.