Re: new to the club

GoldenMotor.com

AZBigDoc

Apr 18, 2011
Mesa, Az
Hello MB'ers,
I'm one of the new guys on the block and have a question or two. I would like to know what type of drive you guys recommend for someone in the 300lb range. I have been working on bikes my whole life but this will be my first MB and I don't know where to start ie. rear sprocket drive, belt drive, Jackshaft etc. Any and all advice is welcomed and encouraged. I really enjoy the site. Thanks guys, Doc

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Welcome to the forum. i would go chain drive for a big guy. I think the usual 36 tooth rear sprocket would pull you fine with a two stroke China Girl motor. Speed limit for motor bikes is 20 MPH in AZ anyway. They especially hold you to that speed limit if you are in the bike lane.

AZBigDoc

Apr 18, 2011
Mesa, Az
Thanks for the suggestions and the warm welcome.
Anyone have a favorite vendor/retailer for my first kit.
I'm leaning towards a single speed cruiser outfitted with a 48cc 2 stroke.
Please share your experiences regarding your purchases and support.
Thanks - Doc

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Welcome to the forum. i would go chain drive for a big guy. I think the usual 36 tooth rear sprocket would pull you fine with a two stroke China Girl motor. Speed limit for motor bikes is 20 MPH in AZ anyway. They especially hold you to that speed limit if you are in the bike lane.

...is it all downhill in Texas?

I'm going to say that gearing is a little stiff. I run a 56 on a 28" tire and I'm can go mid 20's but usually cruse about 20 keep vibrations down. As most bikes are 26" wheel a 50 or 48 tooth will help get you to speed without ripping the guts out of the motor. And if there's hill to pull you'd most likely make it up without pedaling with a 50. The kits come with a rear sprocket that runs from 39-44 teeth with no way of knowing unless they actually mention it on the box :p

Read lots of stuff, ask questions, and have fun somewhere along the line... ;)

AZBigDoc

Apr 18, 2011
Mesa, Az
...is it all downhill in Texas?

I'm going to say that gearing is a little stiff. I run a 56 on a 28" tire and I'm can go mid 20's but usually cruse about 20 keep vibrations down. As most bikes are 26" wheel a 50 or 48 tooth will help get you to speed without ripping the guts out of the motor. And if there's hill to pull you'd most likely make it up without pedaling with a 50. The kits come with a rear sprocket that runs from 39-44 teeth with no way of knowing unless they actually mention it on the box :p

Read lots of stuff, ask questions, and have fun somewhere along the line... ;)
DaveC,
I agree with you, I think 36 is a little small, I'll be riding mostly flat terrain however, I want the option to climb hills when needed so I'm thinking 44-50T.
Now trying to decide what kit in my price range. Thanks - Doc

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
A word regarding vendors and engine size. I would just go with the 66(80)CC. They're more common, look virtually the same and will give you more power. Cost about the same, too. One good vendor I'd recommend is Priate cycles. The PK-80 engine is good running and strong. Justin stands behind what he sells and is a good guy. You can buy cheaper on ebay, but if something is wrong will the seller stand behind it and make things right? I'd pay a little more and have some piece of mind. Welcome to the forum. You can always upgrade later to a shift kit if you decide you need some help with gears.
SB

AZBigDoc

Apr 18, 2011
Mesa, Az
A word regarding vendors and engine size. I would just go with the 66(80)CC. They're more common, look virtually the same and will give you more power. Cost about the same, too. One good vendor I'd recommend is Priate cycles. The PK-80 engine is good running and strong. Justin stands behind what he sells and is a good guy. You can buy cheaper on ebay, but if something is wrong will the seller stand behind it and make things right? I'd pay a little more and have some piece of mind. Welcome to the forum. You can always upgrade later to a shift kit if you decide you need some help with gears.
SB
Thanks Silverbear for the recommendation. However here in AZ they are pretty strict regarding motor size and here it's 48cc max. Other AZ residents may take the chance but not me.
I have visited the Pirate Cycles site and they have some nice stuff. I also agree about finding a vendor that has a good rep for standing behind their products. Thanks for the input - Doc