Kit prices are shooting up....

GoldenMotor.com

mojoman288

Apr 26, 2010
Toledo, OH
:-||Have any of you guys realized how expensive kits are becoming? I still remember when gasbike was selling flying horse engines for $120, (Which are now $150) Do you guys have any idea why this is happening?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
It's not just that they are banned from Cali... From what I understand, there are new 2010 EPA regulations & the new EPA certs cost $500,000. !!!
So any company that is able to pay that much for a EPA cert is going to have to sell the kits for a lot more to get that money back!

Another simple fact is, there are very few kits left from 2009 & they have become much more valuable!

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
$20,000 for "certification".

It may be time to stick a fork in the two stroke in frame unless someone wises up and sells them as kits....I mean engine kits, not the whole engine in a kit.

How hard is it to assemble 12 parts?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
$20,000 for "certification".

It may be time to stick a fork in the two stroke in frame unless someone wises up and sells them as kits....I mean engine kits, not the whole engine in a kit.

How hard is it to assemble 12 parts?
And while it is all apart would be the perfect time to check things over, de-bur, do the porting. Yes, why not an engine kit with options on the cylinder head, carb, bearings, intake manifold, exhaust pipe? Buy just the stuff you are actually going to use instead of the way we do it now. Is this a way around the EPA nonsense? I hate to see the little two strokes go, but if the prices keep climbing and don't go back down again as they have in the past, then you're right... time to stick in the fork and move on to four strokes.
SB

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Bikeguy Joe do mea favor and hold at least one for me until I can get a job. I want at least one more but I haven't worked in over two years. So money is scarce with me. I keep looking though I am sure something will turn up eventually.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have a five pound brass hammer I smack everything with just for luck....it doesn't seem to work though, it just dents the hammer.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
There is a time and a place for everything as a mechanic I have used a hammer in place of a press many a time. On seal and bearing races with a driver.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I have worked on just about every major brand of truck or car as a heavy line mechanic.

Try getting the freeze plugs put in between the fire wall and engine on a V8, or 6. Another good one is getting the CV axle seals in on a Toyota front wheel drive. Its sockets, tape, extensions and swivels. Last finesse! Oh yeah and a hammer!

That guy putting seals in a CH Bike motor does them all day long. Hands on experience just is not replaceable! One Toyota front wheel drive CV seals I did involved a long 1''x1'' stick of wood with small piece of 1''x1'' wood on the end the size of the seal. Then Hammer time.. That was ten years ago in my front yard seals working perfect to this day. One of those seals Ya' just can't reach.

My point being is a hammer and finesse is just peachy. I can't count how many times I used old bearing races and a hammer to get new bearings put in. Very common practice. Sure some stuff is more delicate. A impact gun has hammer mechanize built in it that's how it gets all that torque.

You don't take a wrench in your hand at a tight space and pull all hard on it. That's how one gets the surprise of missing skin on there knuckles! Its a well placed firm hold and a well calculated jerk to it kinda like the shock of a hammer or a impact wrench. Nothing can really replace hands on experience with mechanics!

I have invented quirky stuff just to get things done. Whole mess off PVC pipe pieces etc. They make a tool for everything. But none replaces the Human mind. Adapt and over come..

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Like my dad always did, if you don't have the right tool make do and if you can't make do make the tool. lol

I've got an entire drawer full of wrenches that are bent in all kinds of odd angles and tools that dad made instead of waiting until the tool man came around. Funny thing is that being a mechanic for 45 years and working in a major dealership he had the smallest toolbox in the entire shop. The tool man really didn't like my dad because out of the entire shop dad was the only guy that he didn't collect a weekly check from. laff

I can't count how many times I used old bearing races and a hammer to get new bearings put in. Very common practice.
Got a bunch of those in that drawer too. :D

Last edited: