Reactions from other 2 wheeled users

GoldenMotor.com

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
I've seen a couple of threads about this topic, Here is my take on it.

Reactions I get from other 2 wheeled users where I live.

The Postman, Honda CT110, A smile or a nod. Positive, These guys are pro, daily riders in all weather. My local guy waves.

The new commuter in work wear, 20year old MTB, Seems curious, probably is wondering where they can get one, not negative. He will graduate into one of us or the dude listed below.

The hard-core long term commuter, $500+ 700c Flat bar road bike. Works in an office. Owns wet weather gear, usually negative, Probably Greenpeace. Best left alone. Get the finger sometimes.

The Spandex Guy, $5,000+ Gleaming Race bike, Only seen in fair weather, even angrier than the commuter guy. His father didn't love him... Keep your distance. His spandex MTB cousins are much the same except snarlier looking and they like mud.

The Pro Rider, $10,000+ Race Bike, Looks like the Spandex guy, but he is different, he rides every day in all weather, Bike and clothing show wear and tear, He does not care about you. He's got races to win.

Harley Dudes, There are some different types, Corporate, Enthusiast and Biker. Corporate guy is ignorant, too important to take notice, Enthusiast guy is interested and nods and Biker guy just looks straight through you.

Sports Bike Riders, Depends on age, I rarely get a nod or smile except from older riders. Have been ridiculed by the younger guys.

Vintage or Classic Owners, Old English Bikes or Vintage Jap, The people on older machines have positive response, probably because they know all about it... You know reliability, flat tyres, parts, ect.

Daily or Commuter Riders, A comfortable, sensible bike, These guys return the nod, sometimes smile.

The most positive responses come from Kids and Teenagers, they love the idea, and are probably jealous.

Car drivers are worse than all the above, especially Sales Drones in company cars and Tradesmen/Workmen in 4 wheel drive utes.

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
That Harley dude doesn't just look through MB'ers. I ride a Honda Goldwing that can kick his Harley's ass and he still looks right through me. Ya gotta laugh it off.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I am a Harley rider and a certified Harley mechanic.
I do not give a gnat's hiney what you ride, or if it is faster, or more comfortable than my bike.
Do you enjoy your ride? Are you on 2 wheels and in the wind?
Do you really care what I think?
Have fun, enjoy yourself and your bike.
That's what it is all about.
As for how others react to me riding my MB or motorcycle, some are jerks, others are cool. Pleasantries are preferred, I could care less about the jerks. Whatever they are trying to proove to themselves on my account is lost on me.

wildemere

Feb 12, 2008
Newcastle
I'm an ex-GoldWing rider myself, some of them Harley riders get ticked off easily, Keep your nuts tight.

What rattled of your bike today?

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol GearNut - techs are a different story altogether when it comes to HDs ;)

At the local inconvenience store there's often a Harley or two and I've noticed that the older the bike, the dirtier the hands - the more they dig the MB lol, often they remember Harley started with pedals and with a "Hey, that's not a HD" they start yappin' about boardtrackers and vintage bikes. It's the new full dressers and the "Honda Harleys" that pretend to not see me and look the other way...

'cept when I peek out the window as I'm inside and waitin' in line, they're checkin' out my ride :D

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
The one I dislike most is the guy who lines up with me on pedals and thinks he's going to out speed me. I let him get pumping hard as he can then I shift a couple gears and ride away. Always get the finger, usually a very vocal FU too. Lets face it Pedaling is WAY overated. lol

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
On my last ride i went on, my engine was running so good i was keeping up with cars and passing some. Motorcylces that go by me always look over at my bike and even tho theres no engine on it anymore they still look over at my bike.

asianflava

May 13, 2010
Colorado
I used to work with a few bikers. They probably had some questionable dealings, but they were the nicest folks. The husband of a lady I worked with, was killed on his panhead messing around at a biker party. They would make fun of the "Yuppie Bikers", you can tell who they are because their black t-shirts are still black.