Another Newbie Question

GoldenMotor.com

Catfisher

Apr 10, 2010
Heart of Illinois
When I first started considering a MB I was only thinking of an electric assist hub motor. I know you can pedal and extend the range of your batteries, and maybe even help it up hills.

How does that work with a frame mount gas motor? If your bike is a 21 speed, can you pedal at the same time, or once the engine starts does it just take over? Also, can you shift into different bicycle gear ratios to help the engine make it up hills?

Thanks for all info.

tudorvintiloiu

Apr 19, 2010
Romania
Catfisher,

With one of these chinese gas engines you definitely have to pedal from time to time. Like when you start moving, or to help the engine up a steep hill.

The engine kit comes with a fixed gear. But you can buy a shift kit from one of the sponsors of this forum, which will enable you to use the bike's gears.

T.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
First order of business. Welcome to the wonderful world of Motor Bicycling and the Forum.
Second, The matter of needing to pedal is a two part answer. 1) the motor may need assistance going uphill depending on the size of sprocket you use The larger the sprocket the more torque (less Pedaling uphill but less top end speed) as with the smaller sprocket less torque (more pedaling with faster top end speed) So that part is a trade off. 2) The use of a Jack-shaft gives you the ability to use the gearing on the bike therefore giving you the larger and smaller gears However the trade off is expense.

her is a video showing just how a Jack-shaft works.....http://sickbikeparts.com/SBP Video3.wmv

Good Luck and once again Welcome. If you have questions you couldn't find a better place to ask them.

dag_29307

Jul 1, 2009
Enoree, Sc.
Well if you are on a budget you can always go without the jack-shaft and still have the best of both worlds. You can purchase a 80cc kit for around $120.00 and mount it on virtually any 24" or 26" bike here's a pic of mine

Attachments