40 mile ride today. 160 miles on bike. Now a gas leak!

GoldenMotor.com

pabickwermert

May 30, 2008
Henderson Kentucky
Hi everyone,

Well, I rode 10 miles to work, 10 miles at lunch, and then 20 miles after work. :ride2:

At lunch, flat tire. I picked up a thorn, no big deal. 3 minutes and I was back on the road.

The rest of the day was great! I got home and still had some 16:1 fuel mix left in the tank, about 1/3 left.

Here is the big problem. This morning I added gas to my tank to fill it back up. I put the cap on it, and then I noticed something dripping. (it was fuel) not spilled

So, I had to hop in the car and go to work. The fuel tank has to have a hole in it where it goes over the frame or something. I will take the tank off tonight and inspect it and I will keep you posted.

I did not want to drive it with fuel leaking directly onto my coil pack. (I like my stuff and would like to keep it where it is.)

Paul

maybe you could post your pictures here and then we can drop the link to that site to keep the peace.
Norman

Last edited by a moderator:

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
It's possible it's leaking from one of the studs. The usual place is the cap and/or the petcock, so check those first.

Interesting frame adaptation.

The link to the "other site" is probably OK here, if you tried it in reverse....hmm.....

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
The link to the "other site" is probably OK here, if you tried it in reverse....hmm.....
You took the words right out of my mouth!
rotfl

BTW Nice bike Pabickwermert.(^)
Usually if you tighten the studs too much, the welds will crack.

Skyliner70cc

Mar 8, 2008
In my newbie thread, I specifically mention this as a possible problem and recommend any new builders to jbweld the base of the fuel tank mounting studs.

I'm fairly sure that is what your problem is. Please keep us posted and don't worry, it should be an easy fix.

pabickwermert

May 30, 2008
Henderson Kentucky
It's possible it's leaking from one of the studs. The usual place is the cap and/or the petcock, so check those first.

Interesting frame adaptation.

OK, I found the problem. It looks like the tank was cracked before it was painted. :confused:

You can see where my cable guides rubbed the tank, but it was not leaking there. Just above there the paint had chipped off and there was a crack under the paint that started leaking.

So, it looks like a trip to the autoparts store today for some gas tank repair putty.

As for the link to the other forum, sorry about that guys, but thay allow photo albums, that means you can put all your pics there and then you do not have to put the pics in every message. Since I had the pics there already, I thought I would just link to them. This board has a five pic limit per message and that includes smiles so it would have taken multiple messages to load the pics.

Thanks for understanding and wish me luck with the tank repair.

By the way, I did order another tank for the rear of the bike. Here is a couple of links to that one.

Rear Fuel Tank - $42.99

</title> <base href="http://www.bicycle-engines.com/"> <meta name="description" content=" - 2-Stroke Engine Kits,4-Stroke Engine Kits,2-Stroke Parts,4-Stroke Parts," /> <meta name="keywords" content="2-Stroke Engine Kits,4-Stroke Engine Kits,2-Stroke

I plan on using both tanks if I can repair the teardrop tank.

Paul

Attachments

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
take the tank to a radiator repair shop or if your careful you can solder the thing shut but you can also blow yourself up in the process. Better than tank putty.