Oil on my right shoe?

GoldenMotor.com

psprat496

Nov 22, 2009
New Jersey
I know this is really random but I need to know if this happens to anyone else. I've got 2 white sneakers that I usually wear riding. There old and worn out but they used to be the same color. Ever since I labeled them as my "riding" shoes I noticed the right one is very oily. I don't know why but I have a thin build up of oil or exhaust fumes or something. I would expect my left shoe to be worse since my exhaust is going to my left and there's a lot more happening on the left than the right.

Anyone notice this?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This might sound silly but do you use a lot of chain lubrication and do you pedal a lot? It could be from your pedal chain or as Venice suggested, if your right foot is toward the rear it could be getting exhaust that flows under and to the right. On my first bike it was always my left shoe that caught the exhaust until I made a 45 degree extension for the muffler that aimed the exhaust out and away from my foot.
Here's another suggestion: Wear your shoes on the wrong feet occasionally and then they'll be the same color :)
Tom

Fabian

Sep 9, 2009
Australia - Melbourne
I get oil on my left shoe; my right shoe and the lower portions of my jeans and it's not unusual for me to put my clothes through the wash three times, only to have them looking like i've spent 3 hours lubricating the underside of a steam engine.

I've said this before: be thankful your engine is spewing out greasy muck; oily goo and black filthy grime that looks like it's come from the tar sands of Canada and improbably seeps out from every part of your engine, magnetically attaching itself to every part of your lower body.

The day your engine runs clean is the day you'll end up pedaling or walking all the way home.

Fabian

Last edited: