home made rear racks

GoldenMotor.com

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
made from 5/16" dia. rod.

have the taillight on the end of this rack

square tubing rack on my rat bike slick paint isn't it very careful not to get over spray and one nice solid color blue, black, rust, silver what ever way laying around at the time

Now I need to make a saddle basket out of coat hanger wire?!

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
close up of the mount on the front
black bike part of the mount is welded to the frame

rat bike the mount is removeable

what you can do with the skulls paint them, glue it on the throttle. He looks happy to me.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Very nice!!! Wow They beat the heck out of mine.dnut
But do you have the skull anywhere? I think I see a taillight on the first nice. Took some work for you to make them, mine were hammer built.
Norman

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
and yours beats mine norman. Mine is just a couple of those channels with holes in them and some drop rods. Ugly as can be but they work for batteries so I'm okay with them.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I used a Rubbermaid mail box holder and some aluminum "L" stock.

I have revised it a couple of times, I made a pannier out of a computer laptop bag which really worked good. I am in the middle of the next revision which have bolt on saddle boxes that I need to find a way to lock up.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
Great ideas guys! I like the home made and cheap approach but I really like the one's done fancy.
I have to settle for the cheap and ugly but beauty is in the eye's of the beholder.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
well i needed something cheap and the front basket i use to have didnt work well with all that weight up front,i like the rear baskets more stable and holds more because theres two baskets.
plus the front basket was in the way of my headlight.
i still need to find a place on the bike for my battery.

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Great ideas guys! I like the home made and cheap approach but I really like the one's done fancy.
I have to settle for the cheap and ugly but beauty is in the eye's of the beholder.
I am working on cheap and fancy LOL. I got some big electrical junction boxes at a garage sale $.25 each, some clearance and marker lights, solar panels to charge a Ryobi 18v battery. Hopefully, I will get some pics of it this week.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
i am also using a 18v cordless battery but i have a 1hr quick charger that came with it.
it came off of a cordless hedge trimmer from walmart. i cut the handle off and it has a craddle that the battery pops into(this is mounted on my bike). to take the battery out you push in two buttons and it comes off and i put it on top of my charger just like a cordless drill charging station.i have a 12v dual clear car clearance light and a 12v red dome taillight hooked up in series to = 24v. cost for cradle,battery,and charger = $45.
plus $12 or so for lights and inline fuse and i used a house fan 3-way switch for on and off.

my old roadmaster mountain bike came with a rear rack and i got another rear rack from someone.i dont know what to do with those two,my new bike a schwinn delmar came with a nice rear rack already.

Last edited:

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I just happend to have 2 older Ryobi batteries. They don't hold a charge well so I figured why not use them. I have 3 chargers. I just used the clip from the silly flashlight that came with the Ryobi tools. My neighbor took one of those flashlights and swapped it out to be LED which makes it better. If I was really gonna go someplace I would pop in one of the new style batteries. Heck I have the Ryobi "Dust Buster", really a piece of junk, but maybe I could reverse it and use it as a blower for the motor, LOL. I really lucked out on the original Ryobi tool set that I got. Everything else in it gets used often and fits in a nice rolling cart.

I guess that is why I spent the bucks to buy the new drill/driver, as you could not just buy the new batteries. It came with yet another flashlight.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I swear this is not a PhotoShop image. It's a very real, all chrome steel miniature grocery cart.
The company I work for bought fifty of them as a sales promotional gimmick. They were filled with our products and send to buyers. There were about 5 of them left and the company owner gave me one. It fits on the rack of my old Halloween Gal and a six pack fits perfectly. It can haul a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread and is just big enough for the quick grocery store runs that I make a couple of times a week. The only problem is that just like the full sized carts, it makes noise. It has that same tinny, metallic rattle that the carts at the supermarket have. That's okay, I didn't attach it permanently; I just use a nylon luggage strap with a friction buckle so I can take it off when I'm not shopping.
Cute, huh?
Tom

Attachments

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
I made a front rack for my suspension fork. It's made of aluminum flat stock, PVC pipe, all-thread, U-bolts and angle brackets. Suspension fork racks are like $120 and up, so that's why I made my own. I will be putting folding baskets on this. (My bike is a rear engine Staton chain kit, so I need to put loads up front for balance.)

cvlt1

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
I used the mounting hole for the front reflector in the top of the fork. The PVC pipe section up front acts as a spiffy place to mount lights. I realize it's crude -- I need to file the sharp edges and paint it.

Sgt. Howard

Sep 28, 2010
Okanogan, WA
Sportsman's Guide is selling Swedish bicycle medical Panniers for $20- I bought three- currently useing the case of a dead CPU to make the 3"wide rack that will carry one. I seem to have trouble posting pics on this site, not sure why... Anyway, the Panniers will carry six one gallon milk jugs each, so capacity is not an issue.

TikiHead

May 9, 2010
Arizona
Sgt. Howard, that sounds great! I got tired of how finicky this forum is for attaching photos as well. To get around that, I went to photobucket.com and got a free account. You post your photos there, and it automatically gives you the IMG code to paste here.