Do the 212cc motors overheat?

GoldenMotor.com

Jfarns03

Mar 18, 2016
Hermosa Beach CA
What's up guys, just finishing up my custom beach cruiser build with a 212 predator and I'm curious if these motors overheat? I understand they are air cooled sorta/kind like old school VW/Porsche engines. I know the number one reason for engine failure is HEAT. I understand why motorcycle and every other motor have those "fins" on the block and head, but wouldn't you think for a long period of running time things become too hot? I've searched and really haven't found anything.

ElGallo

Jul 1, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
its sad to see that 25 views and no one has said anything.

just like any other motor the 212 can over heat. but that comes from an ID10t error. if you take off the cooling fin and leave the motor sitting with no air circulation yes.
if your mounting on a bike or just leave the cooling fins in the motor will be fine.
also the case with the oil in it also contributes to the heat dissipation

Bruce Lee

Dec 13, 2010
California
What's up guys, just finishing up my custom beach cruiser build with a 212 predator and I'm curious if these motors overheat? I understand they are air cooled sorta/kind like old school VW/Porsche engines. I know the number one reason for engine failure is HEAT. I understand why motorcycle and every other motor have those "fins" on the block and head, but wouldn't you think for a long period of running time things become too hot? I've searched and really haven't found anything.
I have the 212 engine. One stock except for Sportsman intake and exhaust
One with alot of modifications.

I have run both motors hard for over an hour with no heat problems.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
Let me make some clarifications here.

Many engines over the history of internal combustion have been air cooled.

The predator engine (along with most small engines like it) are designed with cooling fins, which increase the surface area of the engine, and therefore assists greatly in removing heat.

But what about when it's sitting still? Yes, that's right! The engine was actually DESIGNED to sit in the same spot and run at full load for hours. But how will it not overheat? There's no air flowing over the fins?

It's got a fan bolted to the crankshaft that directs air around the engine. So even when it's being used as the "prime mover" for a generator or a well pump, it still maintains airflow over the cooling fins and stays cool.

Motorcycles don't (usually, as I can't speak for them all) have cooling fans. It's assumed that you're going to be riding it, so you'll do your own wind generation. That's why if I get stuck in traffic on a really hot day, I'll turn the engine off until we start moving again. It saves the engine, and also my goods from getting cooked.

Same story with the Chinese 2 stroke bike engine. Don't let it sit and run without air flow.

(Doesn't apply to liquid-cooled engines)

Jfarns03

Mar 18, 2016
Hermosa Beach CA
Ah interesting.. I was searching around for it and from the looks of it not many people in the world of predator motors are worried about it overheating haha. I brought the question up because I was trying to improve on deadening the vibration from the motor at high Rpms while the bike was at a stand still. Good to know info