4 strokes look like a bulky box!

GoldenMotor.com
Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
I just looked at probably 250 photos of different 4 stroke bicycle engines, and with few exceptions (Lifan and Quincy) they all look like a bulky box!

Am I overlooking anything?

Anyone know of a 4 stroke engine with a verticle cylinder that does NOT look like a plastic/metal box?

Skyking

Aug 22, 2014
North Central Texas
You pretty much hit the nail on the head. But, look for some that have removed the fan cover. A little better, but still won't win any beauty contest. Some of the larger motors have slanted cylinder/heads, and as such are a bit better looking.
I don't think that most folks are looking to win any awards for fashion with their bikes, but rather just cheap, dependable transportation, and the 4 stroke kits fill that niche quite admirably.

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Well, I look at two strokes and wonder what they are doing in full size cruisers... Why they're out of their diamond frame comfort zone :p

Briggs and stratton 3.5hp

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
Fixed for ya. I don't really get the point of this thread. The 4-stroke flatheads and vertical honda ohvs look much better than the CG 2-strokes to me. They have the box-like look cause of the shrouds for cooling, because all those engines were built to work on stationary posts. A CG made to work as a water pump motor would look like an even uglier box. But when you remove the shrouding, smooth the flywheel and make it pretty, a 4c will beat a CG any day of the week.

I mean... I sort of get it... But newer engines look like they do because technology has improved and exposed pushrods are a thing of the past- at least for smaller motors. I think pushrods in the block looks better than exposed.

How about this?
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=59235

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
$199? You can't even get a name brand 4c for that price. The engine on my bike costs $240 shipped, I got mine used though. The closest you can get to a reliable v-twin, in my mind, is replicating Allen Millyard's honda 70 vtwin.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah, 4-Strokes are ugly......I hate mine! And hate is an ugly word.

Just bulky boxes of ugliness they are....would it be OK if I spank your china girl?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Yep! Like I said.... BULKY BOXS!

Beginer...Just wondering why you choose a used Briggs for $240 over a new 212cc for $100?

Scotto...Im sure your 212cc is fast, but Ill bet my little 175cc 2 stroke would be the one doing the spanking! And my 175 2 stroke doesn't look like a bulky box!

I just wish the manufactures would focus their attention on a nice looking, inexpensive 4 stroke that was designed to motorize a bicycle, and not look like a bulky box!

Besides, cooling fins belong on the cylinder and head, not on a flywheel!

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.

Beginer...Just wondering why you choose a used Briggs for $240 over a new 212cc for $100?

Scotto...Im sure your 212cc is fast, but Ill bet my little 175cc 2 stroke would be the one doing the spanking! And my 175 2 stroke doesn't look like a bulky box!

I just wish the manufactures would focus their attention on a nice looking, inexpensive 4 stroke that was designed to motorize a bicycle, and not look like a bulky box!

Is your 175cc 2-stroke a single speed? If it is.....come try to spank me! Good luck.

These 4-strokes aren't even meant to be used as bicycle engines and I doubt you'll ever see one that you like that is a production unit....

We build them like this because we can and they work extremely well...looks ain't everythang laff

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area

175cc two stroke huh? I thought we were talking motorized bikes here, not motorcycles. Try and tell me yours is a legal motorized bike.
I got my motor for $30. My frame is an american-built chicago schwinn, my engine is an american built briggs. I just ordered a shortblock for it for $120.

Why not a 212? Because in California, a legal motorized bike has up to 4hp and less than 148cc, above which it becomes a motor-driven cycle or motorcycle (the 3.5hp is 147.9cc) The only thing that makes my bike illegal is top speed not over 30mph. I've had it at almost double!! 55mph laff

Why spend a total of $150? Because I get a motor that beats your china 2-stroke in every way. It is also a flathead like the CG, but it looks better, even with single speed it accelerates better, the top speed is higher, I NEVER have to mix my oil and gas, it sounds better with open exhaust than any 2-stroke CG with any exhaust, and of course, it won't blow itself up after one year of heavy use.

Wait till I finish building my 2-speed auto. I will post a screenshot of my cad design. You will see there is not a lot of space, or it would have been a 3-speed auto with shifts at 4200rpm. How many rpms do you need to spin to go 30mph? Try 100rpm per mph with your CG.

Last edited:

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
I've had my china girl to 47 :( That's too fast. Cruise around 30 is nice! That's at 200 rpm per mph.

Also Scotto's bikes will tear pieces in almost all motorized bikes just from what I have read.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I'm still not seeing any sense in this post nor do I see anything wrong with what the 4 stroke engines look like... just remember from follows function and not the other way around...

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Relax!

I just said that these modern 4 strokes look like a BIG, BULKY, BOX. And they DO!

I never said that a 66cc 2 stroke would be faster than a 212cc 4 stroke! ITS NOT!

I never said that my 175cc Harley flat tracker was street legal! ITS NOT! Neither is a 212cc Harbor Freight engine, or your Briggs!

I just said that these modern 4 strokes look like a BIG, BULKY, BOX.

And they DO!

Admit it, and move on! Or show me a 4 stroke that doesn't look like a bulky box!

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Put on your glasses and look very closely:

Engine on left = Big, Bulky BOX.
Engine on right = Looks like it was designed for a 2 wheeler. IT WAS!

Im not talking street legal.
Im not talking which is faster.

Im just saying that the engine on the left looks like a big bulky box!

AND IT DOES!

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.
Not so bulky box!

175cc, 2 stroke, 3 speed, American made, and I am 100% certain that my 2 stroke will "spank" that big, bulky looking, imported ,212cc , Harbor Freight, 4 stroke engine on the race track !

Iowa Flat Track race is about a month away!

Show up, and prove me wrong! PLEASE!

I will buy you a 6-pack just for showing up!

Attachments

Last edited: