Old school 1st build

GoldenMotor.com

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
New in the Motorized bike world, Been riding motorcycles since I was 12. Wanted to build something to putt around the neighborhood with and always liked the old pedal motorbikes of the past. Soooo this is my 1st build. I'm already thinking of upgrading the carb (from a CNS to an RT ?) a better exhaust (banana pipe ?) and perhaps a new head (cooler \ more compression).Bought frame and motor last year during a big sale and finally got around to digging it back out a month ago and finishing it.

Decided to put it in a car\motorcycle show this last weekend, Ended up taking a 2nd in my class (motorcycle class cause they didn't know where else to put me) I wasn't expecting that ! I actually felt kind of guilty spending under a grand when others next me had spent over 30.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to our community. You've done well. Beautiful bike and thanks for sharing your talents with us and for joining our ranks.

You must be a Stephen King fan too :)

Tom

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Feel guilty? No, you had a vision of what you wanted to see, and you followed it; the money doesn't come into it. You never know, coming in from left field as you did, you may have made a few people think and come up with new ideas.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I would have voted for it also ---- before the time/past eaters got there.

(Tom, that was one of my favorites, also!)

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Great looking bike in that beautiful red! The Grubee frame is a personal favorite & I ride mine most every day.It has held up well. Engine mods you mention are worthwhile, I'd suggest giving the SHA carb (Dellorto clone) consideration as well. Though you didn't spend a great deal, you spent wisely as the parts you selected combined well. Rick C.

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Thanks for the comments. Have since bought a RT carb and a banana exhaust with a #70 jet runs much better than with the CNS. Although I have to state I didn't play with or have any jets for the CNS, just didn't like the leaking of gas and air (wouldn't idle down correctly). Thinking of going with the #65 jet but I would rather be on the rich side for break in.I also bought a higher compression head from Dax but I think I'll hold off mounting it also. I'm fabricating some cam adjusters for a better wheel/chain take up adjustment and holding support along with a chain tensioner using a torsion spring system.

Robbie

May 21, 2015
Calgary canada
I love your build! I was thinking to paint my skyhawk bike old time burgandy or army green?
I have monark 2 forks as well but I had to tighten the rockers up so much that the springs dont work because of tire wobble. I run the rt carb too but i couldnt use the z offset intake because it would stall out at idle cause it was to far off level.
I was looking at the same brooks saddle you have. Is it comfortable????
I also really like the cream tires! Are thay fat Frank's?
I really like the skyhawk gt2a frame it really rides nice as a bike. Iam suprised you didnt paint the forks red too. Your build is spot on! Its like you read my mind!
Also the SBP shift kit works awesome with that frame iam running 78 to 81km per hour on flat Ground with mine.
Please let me know if your Seat is comfortable???
Congrats on the award!!
Here's a picture of mine. I thought it was nice till I seen yours it's amazing what paint can do!

Attachments

langolier

Jul 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Hi Robbie thanks for the comments, The tires are cream brick Duro's. The seat is a off brand that looks like a brooks. Bought it cause it looks the part but is not comfortable (bearable for short runs) I wouldn't strike out a Brooks because of my comments though. I have since ordered a more plush seat, it might not look as cool but hopefully will be friendlier on longer rides. I have since added some aftermarket performance parts and the RT carb allowed me to get rid of the "z" manifold. Front brake hub is Stearmy Archer and was happy with the quality, Braking performance is not stellar but no "hub" brake is. Since this is my first motor bike I had no clue what to expect so I shot more for looks than anything. Color I used was called Cranberry. I'm debating on a shifter kit on this one since I want to keep it "clean" looking. If I do a next build it will be a fat tire bike with all the bells and whistles, But for now I'm experimenting and having some fun with this one.

RT Carb (replaced CNS) : starts and idles much better. Also enhanced performance some. Ill give it a score of 8.

Banana exhaust pipe: Enhanced performance a little and is a little louder. Give it a 6

Dax High Compression Head: Noticeable torque increase in low and mid RPM’s and head runs much cooler. Give it a 10 (very good bang for the buck)

Some pics of latest upgrades

Last edited:

Robbie

May 21, 2015
Calgary canada
I can't recommend the SBP shift kit enough! !! It looks just as clean. And my topspeed went from 60km to 80km per hour & has the low end to climb the steepest hills! Its the best thing I have ever done to my bike. Without it I wouldn't ride vary much. With it makes long rides more fun and comfortable. Without the bikes a novelty with it makes bike way more useful! Totally changes evreything!
I have a fiero gt a dodge dakota R/T & a ninja 300 with the SBP shift kit it makes my bike my most fun toy forsure!
Anyway your ride is super Kool! Love the old time look.