Noob bicycle engine combo

GoldenMotor.com

2whldreams

May 21, 2015
Guerneville, CA
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post.
Greetings. I'm going to take the plunge and purchase a bicycle and a 212cc Predator engine.
For arguments sake lets say this combination goes 50 mph.
I'm assuming a larger engine would benefit from an oversize 26" steel cruiser frame. I see some available on ebay, Firmstrong, Micargi and Boardwalk. Would you go 50 mph in one of the aforementioned frames or would you suggest another brand?
What ever frame/bike is chosen the rigid front forks will be tossed for set of suspended Suntour. How much should one anticipate spending on a set of forks so the first big hit the stanchions don't separate from the triple tree. The springer front offered by Monark seem to be of good quality. Anybody have experience with this company? The Monark offers a disc brake option.
The brakes are the next most important aspect. What ever frame is chosen, there needs to be an ability to upgrade to a disc type in front forks and preferably the rear.
Probably not safe to go real fast with dime store rims, so what would you suggest for rims? I don't want fancy or dazzling, just strong and adequate. Something like 12 gauge spokes? Going to need strong hubs and rims since bicycle parts weren't intended for 50 mph?
Is there an oversize beach cruiser mfg who builds bikes with an ability to upgrade the parts a la carte?
Engine and frame combination. The 212cc Predator exhaust port/pipe exits right where you don't want it (between crotch-yikes!) and I want to use a shift kit. Can you reverse the engine mounting to get the cylinder towards the headstock or would the engine be spinning in the wrong direction?
If the 212cc engine can't be reversed (cylinder towards head stock), is there an aftermarket shift kit that works with the width of the 212cc engine?

Again thank you for your thoughts.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Welcome aboard.

I can't help you with your specific questions about that 212 cc engine since I'm not familiar with it.

The one thing I would urge of you, though, is don't dream of 50 mph. You're taking your life in your hands, and it's a bad bet. If you really want to go that fast, then you ought to get a big scooter or a small motorcycle. Or you might consider the motor assisted bicycles offered by guys like "Sportsman" (a sponsor of this site) or KCVale (a member of this site). They build stuff that's a bit more stout than your typical bicycle.

Or you could consider a beach cruiser from Worksman Cycles. Or a Schwinn "Heavi-Duti". Last I knew, they still made them. Factory bikes, in other words. They'll at least have bearings and such that's a bit more tough than typical bicycles.

These options will add to your costs, of course. But I don't think there's any way of getting safe and reliable 50 mph without spending, perhaps, a couple thousand bucks.

Best of luck and have fun.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I agree that 50mph is too fast for a bicycle with a motor on it. Believe me when I say that 35mph on a bicycle is fast. Healing from a crash is real slow. Moderate your expectations and you may end up with a real good experience.

If you truly need to go 50 then think about a different kind of machine; scooter,light motorcycle...

The faster you go the faster you need to be able to stop and the more the build is going to cost you. The difference between say 40mph and 50 is huge. Your chance of success at 50 is slim, much better at 40 and darned near a sure thing at 30. You can have a lot of fun and still feel like you're clipping right along at 30. A successful experience at 30 will give you a much better idea of what needs to be done for a faster machine and whether or not you really want to go 50 on a bicycle.

Hospitals are no fun and real expensive.
SB

GoreWound

Dec 1, 2014
Canada
you sort of have to get into the mindset of retracing the steps of motorcycle history with these things.
it took something in the order of fifty years for motorcycles to pass fifty miles per hour, and another fifty before that technology hit the consumer market (something something board track racers are a crazy breed) and even then another fifty untill now, where a non-mechanically inclined person can safely operate such a vehicle.
putting a two-stroke kit onto a bicycle is bringing you to about the thirty five year mark on that timeline.

because if all you want is raw speed with no regards to safety or usability you would do better to strap a solid fuel rocket to your bike.

personally I would be more impressed by a heavy bike that can't beat thirty miles an hour but somehow gets 200MPG towing a trailer.
just some food for thought.