Hub/gears for huasheng 4stroke shifter

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Hi folks, looking for some commentary on hub/gear combos suitable for a 4 stroke Huasheng application. Current build is direct drive, using the Sportsman sprocket adapter with a 56t sprocket on a KT histop coaster hub (GT2A-S frame). It starts from a stop great and climbs hills wonderfully, I've got some big ones I need to get up and I weight about 205lbs so I'm not a lightweight. I would like to add some gears to the mix to bring the RPMs down while cruising. I'm limiting out right now at about 27mph @ 7800 RPM. Ideally I'd like to be able to cruise at the lower 6800 RPM where the max HP design of the HS142F is. I don't want to lose the low end, but I would like to be able to up the gearing a little while cruising a stretch of flats that makes up about 50% of my commute. I've been looking at 3speeds and deraileurs, and I would favor a 3 speed for simplicity and the ability to use a heavier chain, unless someone can tell me it's really OK to rack up miles spinning a derailleur with a 4stroke. Longevity is the obvious problem, are the nexus 3speeds up to the task or are sturmey archers the only way to go? Of the sturmey archers are the freewheeling models (like the SRF3) OK or is the S3X the only one worth considering? I realize I could just stick a freewheel on the S3X, just looking for as much info as I can get before making any decisions. Thanks!

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
I've got nothing really useful to add. You said about everything I'm thinking. I haven't seen any problems with properly adjusted/ maintained derailers on motorbikes.
I'm interested too, so I'll be following along.

Trey

ajoh

Mar 21, 2014
australia
i've got a nexus 3speed hub on mine is electric mid drive i found i had to ignore
the tuning marks completely i'm unsure why but apart from that so far so good
my electric drive is set at 1200w

just don't set the hubs shifter an power on full power, i had to test an adjust untill my hubs gears selected all three gears without slipping (it mainly slipped in top gear)

also re-grease the hub as soon as you get it what ever brand it is mine had next to no grease at all when i pulled mine apart (i used automotive wheel bearing grease).......

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Go with the S3X it is very heavy duty. Im not sure how you are going to drive it. Jack shaft? Its top gear is 1:1 so you will want to raise the final drive ratio to have a higher cruise gear. My bike runs a 32t rear sprocket which is a bit high for hilly areas, a 36 would probably have been better. I live in the flats so it really doesn't matter. The nice thing about the S3X is it doesn't freewheel offering engine braking. It easily handles the loads required by pedal starting a CG engine in any gear.

The commonly supplied bar end shifter I found too awkward to use so I replaced it with a top mount. My bike cruises nicely in the 35mph range and may top 40 once broken in. I found my hub on ebay for $125 shipped and feel its was money well spent. I have a derailleur shifter bike that works pretty well but the S3X is flawless!

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
I would probably drive it using an SBP 4 stroke jackshaft kit which I would probably need to do some tweaking on to get it to fit my frame. So the reduction would be handled by the jackshafts and front freewheels. I would have a freewheeling system as my 4 stroke transmission has a freewheel integrated to the large drive pulley. So if I go with the S3X, I would most likely add a heavy rear freewheel to reduce drive drag when coasting since pedal start is just not an option.