1927 Iver Johnson Motorized Bicycle Build Questions???????

GoldenMotor.com

KevinBC

Apr 11, 2015
Riverside, CA
1. Can you use 28" rims with drum brakes on a motorized bicycle?
2. I have a Clinto 4 cycle motor 1.6hp and what would be the best way to set this engine up in my bike?
3. I need Iver Johnson fenders, forks, truss rods, and handlebars.! What do you have?

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
You need to make sure the hub has the same amount of holes (spokes count) and then you need a spoke length calculator. For engine you might need a jackshaft to get the gearing your looking for. If you want original stuff eBay or swapmeets

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
WOW!
That bike already has a jack shaft and engine mount, just stick the motor in and see what happens. You ether need a belt tighter or a auto clutch on the primary drive. Once you get it set up you can get a bigger pulley on the jack shaft if you need to gear it down.............Curt

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
that's the bike jimmy was asking me about... :)

as far as 28" wheels go, you're pretty much out of luck. the original wheels for that bike were probably "wood clad," meaning the were made out of wood and covered in a thin sheet of tin. built way before metal extruding machines were invented. or they might've been completely made outta wood.

28's are a rare size today, with 700c being the closest equivalent, and to my knowledge, they only make that size in skinny roadbike rims.

there are 29'rs now, but those might be too big. but getting a fork from a 29" bike might be the way to go, but you'll still need to check the clearance in the rear.

any wheel can be laced up to any hub, providing they have the same spoke count. correct length spokes may be hard to find. with your situation you might find that afyer you go through all the trouble getting the parts, they don't fit into your frame.

i built a 1920's Colson Flyer that had 28's originally, using 26" alloy cruiser wheels, and had to use skinnier tires that still barely cleared in the rear.

using the original fork, there wasn't much of a noticeable gap with the smaller diameter wheels, but i had to modify 26" fenders to space it all out.

it's the black and orange bike with a copper tank in my albums. there's a thread here somewhere. search "colson flyer" and you should find it.

original iver johnson parts show up on ebay, but they ain't cheap.

good luck. :)

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Can also use 21" motor cycle wheels or rims and they are suppose to be the same as bike 28" ...............Curt

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I just looked up vintage parts prices in the US with Budget Bike Center. Whose budget? A small nation's?

hsvmick

Mar 23, 2011
hobart tasmania australia
Intrepid Wheelwoman
i sure agree we dont have bikes like that one in australia and so wish the guy would of shipped to me as i would of liked the whole bike complete and fitted a cyclemotor to the rear wheel it would have been a gem