Mo’ betta Jetta 20” bobba jobba

GoldenMotor.com

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
Nice build, you did good!

One thing though, you don't have the heat shield spring around the clutch cable where it rests against the cylinder.
Simple to put on and needed ;-}

Otherwise sweet ride.
Thanks KC! Good eyes! Your have great attention to detail, I can tell from your very nice builds. I don't have no where near as many builds as you do (maybe some day) but of the four I've built and never used that spring all was ok.

As I'm sure you know there is metal inside that cable under the plastic cover. Since the cable is also metal not much can happen to cause a problem. I doubt that spring does much in the way of protecting against heat. Yeah it keeps it from touching it but with the little amount that does touch(with or with out the spring) and where it touches the motor there isn't enough heat to cause a problem IMO.

Try it out sometime. The first time I did it I checked it after and during every ride for the first couple hundred miles to make sure it was ok. The plastic never even melted on any of the builds. Thanks for looking out I really appreciate that.

However, if I (like you) was building bikes for customers, I would use the spring just so I would be 100% sure there wouldn't be any issues down the road.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks KC! Good eyes! Your have great attention to detail, I can tell from your very nice builds. I don't have no where near as many builds as you do (maybe some day) but of the four I've built and never used that spring all was ok.

As I'm sure you know there is metal inside that cable under the plastic cover. Since the cable is also metal not much can happen to cause a problem. I doubt that spring does much in the way of protecting against heat. Yeah it keeps it from touching it but with the little amount that does touch(with or with out the spring) and where it touches the motor there isn't enough heat to cause a problem IMO.

Try it out sometime. The first time I did it I checked it after and during every ride for the first couple hundred miles to make sure it was ok. The plastic never even melted on any of the builds. Thanks for looking out I really appreciate that.

However, if I (like you) was building bikes for customers, I would use the spring just so I would be 100% sure there wouldn't be any issues down the road.
Just wanted to add that I dont always use that spring either and no signs of cable housing damage, it does secure the cable nicely, but if the engine gets that hot on the lower end, you have much bigger troubles to be concerned about that a clutch cable housing....lol...!

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
Thank you for the understanding, Im a chatter box also, a bunch of us Texas country folk are known for having something to say about everythi g and enjoying lots of info trading...lol

Yeah I think I grew up in a pretty good era, my heart is in the mid 70s and 80s when it comes to music and many things that were just so much better than anything we have today in my opinion.

Ive got the forks, the wheels and the engine to build up, I have the sprocket coming, I have some BMX bars off an older 80s BMX bike, I think an older Mongoose, I'II need to have frame bead blasted to get all the old paint of and I think since the old wWeatern Flyer was originally red that is whT Ill go back with more than likely.

May take me a while to get it whers I want it since I have other projects started but Ill be tinkering with it soon.
I always enjoy trading info, especially about this great hobby of ours. I lived in San Antonio for a few months and absolutely loved that place. The culture, the people, the food, the music and everything is awesome there. I'm from KY and love it here but if I was to live in another state TX would be the one. Y'all have my favorite weather. I like the hot desert type places.

I too dig the 70s and 80s music. I also like the 60s and 90s stuff. Those where a great time to be alive I'm sure.

Red sounds like it would be a good choice for that 24" BMX of yours. Don't worry about how long it takes. I always build slow and steady. Thats whats cool about this hobby is we can gets parts here and there and slowly upgrade. When you take your time the quality is always gonna be better.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I always enjoy trading info, especially about this great hobby of ours. I lived in San Antonio for a few months and absolutely loved that place. The culture, the people, the food, the music and everything is awesome there. I'm from KY and love it here but if I was to live in another state TX would be the one. Y'all have my favorite weather. I like the hot desert type places.

I too dig the 70s and 80s music. I also like the 60s and 90s stuff. Those where a great time to be alive I'm sure.

Red sounds like it would be a good choice for that 24" BMX of yours. Don't worry about how long it takes. I always build slow and steady. Thats whats cool about this hobby is we can gets parts here and there and slowly upgrade. When you take your time the quality is always gonna be better.
Since the topic sorta came up here, I have very deep family roots in western Kentucky, I have never lived there but have visited, I like it there from what I saw.

Hope you dont mind me chattering a little about all this here, you being from the western area probably know some of my distance kin folks....amazing how small of a world we live in because of the internet these days isnt it...lol...!

Last edited:

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
Ok, I got some things done on the Jetta. I've got the 62 jet in. The new air filter from treats didn't fit. There is just so little room. It does fit on my BMX and actually fits that build better. Eventually (probably next winter) I will cut the billet intake shorter. Then I will have enough room for an aftermarket air filter. The stock air filter and cover works fine and will do for now.

The new rear 30t sprocket I got from CMB is very nice. It feels lighter than the temporary steel one I had been using. The flat steel one had the chain line just a hair too close to the tire. This new sprocket should take care of that.

The stock freewheel on the wheel needs a weird tool that I don't have to remove it. I will take it to my LBS to borrow the tool. The mechanics there really like my BMX build and I'm always buying nickel and dime stuff from them so they let me use their specially tool instead of doing it themselves and having to charge me. I will take care of that at the beginning of next week.

I have the new chrome trim on the tank. Tomorrow I will clean out the new gas tank and get it ready for install. The Jetta is up on my bike rack waiting for the freewheel and chainring to get here. I'm gonna borrow my moms camera and get some pics of the new toys in a bit.

All I'm waiting on now is the Hella bulb, the 36t chainring and the 20t freewheel. Should be here monday or so.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I need to get me one of those freewheel removal tools myself.

Ill be happy to hear how all this new stuff works out on the build, I think I like the ti kering part as much or better than the riding of these bikes sometime....lol

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
Since the topic sorta came up here, I have very deep family roots in western Kentucky, I have never lived there but have visited, I like it there from what I saw.

Hope you dont mind me chattering a little about all this here, you being from the western area probably know some of my distance kin folks....amazing how small of a world we live in because of the internet these days isnt it...lol...!
I guess you edited this because it changed when I went to reply to it. I love to hear about all that family and state history. As I'm sure it is in TX, we have a rich history around here. That kinda stuff has always interested me. I know of all the places you spoke of. Hopkinsville is really close to me.

I don't mind any chattering about any topic. I too have though how small of a word we live in because of the internet. I love being able to get a peek into other peoples lives and being able to chat with people from all around the US and the world. It's very awesome. Not to sound old but kids today will never know what its like to not have the internet. I feel it makes us appreciate it better.

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
I need to get me one of those freewheel removal tools myself.

Ill be happy to hear how all this new stuff works out on the build, I think I like the ti kering part as much or better than the riding of these bikes sometime....lol
Haha I'm the same way! I like tinkering just as much as riding. It's therapeutic haha. Its a combo of the hunt to find the perfect parts, tinkering, riding and learning that keeps this hobby fresh for me. Also a lot of creative staring.

I have the standard freewheel remover tool. I needed it for the shift kit on my first MaB. But this freewheel only has two tiny circular indention on each side to remove it.

I have a camera now. I'm gonna grub then I'll snaps some pics.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Haha I'm the same way! I like tinkering just as much as riding. It's therapeutic haha. Its a combo of the hunt to find the perfect parts, tinkering, riding and learning that keeps this hobby fresh for me. Also a lot of creative staring.

I have the standard freewheel remover tool. I needed it for the shift kit on my first MaB. But this freewheel only has two tiny circular indention on each side to remove it.

I have a camera now. I'm gonna grub then I'll snaps some pics.
yes the single speed freewheel removal tool is what I need also, I have the tool for the Shimano type multi sprocket freewheel, I made a single speed freewheel tool but the machine screws I turned down for going in those little indentions were to soft so they didnt last but for barely one use, I've thought about making me one and using 7018 welding rod for making the pins but if I can geta tool ready to go for 20 bucks or less Ill just go that route and use my time for other things instead of making the tool.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I guess you edited this because it changed when I went to reply to it. I love to hear about all that family and state history. As I'm sure it is in TX, we have a rich history around here. That kinda stuff has always interested me. I know of all the places you spoke of. Hopkinsville is really close to me.

I don't mind any chattering about any topic. I too have though how small of a word we live in because of the internet. I love being able to get a peek into other peoples lives and being able to chat with people from all around the US and the world. It's very awesome. Not to sound old but kids today will never know what its like to not have the internet. I feel it makes us appreciate it better.
Sorry about the edit, I just got to thinking I made that to long and said to much for it being so off topic anyway....

If you know anyone around there that has the last name that describes the color of one of the nice horse pastures around there you know some of my distant kin folks.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Wandering off topic is fun sometimes, especially in a small forum and not that farcebook/twitter/youtube/bla bla bla 'popular' world.

Forum structures like this rock, period.
'likes' 'friends' with millions that don't get to know each other? Pffttt.
Little communities of people that get know each other rock in my world.

Specialty tools...
All tools and equipment for that matter...
You simply have to bite that initial cost to have them if you want to make a business out of building bikes.

Living in the South...
For me the South West, like Texas, Cowboy country mentality.
We are all crazy here because we never get to hibernate in winter.

It's hard to hibernate with no winter to speak of and everything cool is happening around you all the time and you don't even need jacket to see it outside ;-}

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Wandering off topic is fun sometimes, especially in a small forum and not that farcebook/twitter/youtube/bla bla bla 'popular' world.

Forum structures like this rock, period.
'likes' 'friends' with millions that don't get to know each other? Pffttt.
Little communities of people that get know each other rock in my world.

Specialty tools...
All tools and equipment for that matter...
You simply have to bite that initial cost to have them if you want to make a business out of building bikes.

Living in the South...
For me the South West, like Texas, Cowboy country mentality.
We are all crazy here because we never get to hibernate in winter.

It's hard to hibernate with no winter to speak of and everything cool is happening around you all the time and you don't even need jacket to see it outside ;-}

I completely agree KC

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
Update!

It's been a while since I updated this thread. I've been riding and slowly adding to the Jetta. I've got several things done and in the process of doing more! I found the culprit to my slight speed wobble problem at high speeds. It was because the stock bars where pushed just a little too far forward for the rake that this bike has. Once I pulled them back an inch or two that problem went completely away but caused another issue. Now my knees would hit the bars in turns and with the bars back started to feel a little cramped.

Since the stock bars no longer felt comfortable or looked as good, I decided to get some new bars. After lots of thought I decided I wanted to stick to the early 20" BMX (old school stingrays) roots and went with some mini apes. They fit the bike like they could have came from the factory like that and feel super comfortable.

During a ride in the middle of the summer my "poo poo" exhausts bracket broke making it drag on the ground at 30 mph in traffic! That pipe is such a cheap POS that I ripped it off and threw a unmodified stock exhaust on to get me by until I got something else.

When I put the stock exhaust on, my bike went from a blubbery beast that could only do 30mph, to a screamer that at ~30mph hit the powerband and rocketed up to 39 like it wasn't a problem. In fact it sounded like a finely tuned supercharger just whining and sucking in alotta air! With no four stroking at all! This is with a 58 jet in the R/T carb. Even though the stock exhaust wasn't gutted or anything it was still super loud. Mainly because the stock pipe points right at the ground under me and the sound bounces right back up in my ear.

Since I (originally) wasn't going for performance on this build I was looking for an exhaust that just looked good, was simple, and pointed the sound behind me. I found Bikeberry's "long shot" exhaust to fit that bill. Unfortunately when it arrived it did not fit. Not even close. It went in the parts pile. I'm sure it will work fine on my 26" bike.

Not wanting to put the stock muffler back on I robbed the SBP expansion chamber off of my BMX build. I wanna finish this build before I restart working on the BMX again. So I'll get another SBP pipe for the BMX later on. I also found a small flat foam filter on fleabay that actually (barely) fit in that tiny space. With the new pipe the Jetta has a bigger and more pronounced power band. It comes on mid-high rpms. I'm not sure how fast it is yet but when the powerband really kicked in around 25-30 its was as if I just hit nitrous! This thing has some pep! Anyway, once I hit 46 I let off cause (I started to see god!) it feels super sketchy even doing over 30 on this little bike! It's just the adrenaline rush I need.

When I had the crappy poo poo pipe on I would only mix in 35 mph traffic if I had too. The bike was so choked by that tiny inlet on that pipe. Now I feel fully confident to mix it up with cars on the busier 35 mph roads.

Another thing I robbed from the BMX build was the chrome motor covers. Once I had the mini apes on it was just crying for a little more chrome. I plan to top it off with a pedal choppers head if it will fit in that spot. It looks to be similar size and height as a stock head which is what I need.

Got a new headlight all together. I got that hella bulb and it blew right off. The only thing I ever got to work (with the 12v mini-gen) where very dim led bulbs that eventually vibrate apart in a short time. So, I looked around and found the perfect LED mini spot bar driving light. Similar to those long LED lights that are popular on off road jeeps and trucks. Only this one is a lot shorter and smaller. So far its bright enough to see and be seen. I haven't tried it in total darkness but it seems bright enough. I also got a new super bright flashing/strobe/constant on led for the rear and a new tail light with a wireless turn signal/brake light setup. Unfortunately the taillight arrived and was DOA. I sent it back and have a replacement on the way. Should be here next week. It looked pretty good though and is light years ahead of the ugly cheap dim signal/brake light setup that's on it right now.

Last few little details at the moment are a chrome clutch lever (my stock one was black) to match my duel pull brake lever. I have a chrome engine kill/lights switch on the way to replace the messy looking setup I have now. I replaced the stock pedals with barefoot beach cruiser style pedals. They feel really nice and the grip tape on them works nice to keep your feet from sliding around.

Once this batch of parts all arrives and I get them on, I'll update with some pics. Shouldn't be too long. After that its just small finishing touches like maybe pin striping, chrome nut covers and little do-dads like that to give it that finished look.

This bike went from a tame possible loaner cruiser, to a too fast (no such thing) screamer! I guess she wanted to be fast all along even if I originally planned to make it tame. I need to think of a way to restrict it now because its way too fast to just let an inexperienced rider hop on and go (without me). Pics coming soon.