Mo’ betta Jetta 20” bobba jobba

GoldenMotor.com

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
Some of you might have seen my introduction and the start of my 20” dual suspension BMX build. That bike is a more in depth build, with full light system, moped seat, battery, on board charging, headlight fairing, shift kit, vapor speedo, custom paint and many more details/parts. I have the majority of everything I need for that build besides the last few critical pieces. I plan to gather parts and finish that build before summer starts. In the mean time I wanted to build a less complex bike to cruise around on while I slowly build the BMX.

The Micargi Jetta was a really fun and pretty simple build. In my intro and info about the BMX I mentioned that the wheels on the BMX are from a donor bike. The triple tree and kick stand I used on the Jetta are also from that same donor bike. I ended up using the original wheels from the BMX on this Jetta build. At this point the only thing left from the stock Jetta is the handlebars, cranks, pedals and sprocket (which will change soon). I ride the Jetta now and it looks done but I still have a few details yet to do.

I’m building this bike as a mild cruiser. Its main use will be to let friends ride when I’m on the BMX. The motor is a 66cc china girl. I cleaned up/slightly opened (~1-2 mm wider) the intake and exhaust ports and polished the exhaust port. I also cleaned up the transfer ports where they meet the crank case. I then chamfered the insides of the intake and exhaust ports. The piston dome got ramped at the exhaust and transfer port sides. The piston skirt also had a little over 1 mm blocking the intake at TDC. So I notched the piston skirt where it was blocking the intake to take care of that.

Something I noticed on the last two new motors I've got is both had the top of the cylinder and head milled flat and the heads have nice combustion chamber shape and a machined in squish band! Even though the head and cylinder top was flat, I still sanded them down a bit on glass and installed a thinner head gasket to increase compression a bit. I replaced all the bolts with black high grade hex head bolts as well as HD head studs from SBP. The intake is a MM style billet short intake. An R/T carb is what I went with on this bike. There wasn't enough space to install the nice aftermarket air filter but I will get something to work eventually.

The motor on the Jetta is almost exactly how I built the one on my BMX besides one critical part, the exhaust. On the BMX with the shift kit I went with the SBP expansion chamber exhaust and it is scary fast when it gets into the power band (mid rpm’s). However on the Jetta I wanted more of a cruiser look and not really building for performance, I went with the “Motocross flexible poo poo pipe muffler” from Kings motor bikes. In stock form that pipe is an ugly beast. The paint is horrible. The muffler is cheap looking(tons of scratches) polished steel:confused: and had a lot of over spray or lack of taping where the muffler meets the rest of the exhaust. As you can see I used black exhaust wrap to take care of the ugliness. I also painted the header part of the pipe which btw was far from flat and would not have worked without a lot of hammering, filing and sanding. The header part that bolts to the cylinder has a tiny exhaust hole and needed lots of work with minimal results.

On my BMX with the SBP pipe and the r/t carb it ran great right off the bat with the stock size 70 jet. The Jetta on the other hand, with the very restrictive exhaust and 70 jet ran like poo poo (maybe that’s why they call it that)! I went down to a 66(smallest I had on hand) and it help a lot but still runs pretty fat in the mid to upper rpm’s. I’m gonna keep it like that for a few tanks to break it in a little rich. I figure it probably needs a 58-62 jet to run the way it’s supposed to without four stroking.

I originally ordered a 26 tooth sprocket from the other “Kings” website. I figured it would take a while but I had plenty of work to do on the bike to keep me busy until it got here. Two weeks after nothing from kings, I sent an email to check on my order. I immediately got a message back saying the email was no longer in use. So, I waited until Monday and called. As soon as they answer all I hear is a loud rustling sound of someone crinkling paper close to the phones microphone. I could barely hear him and barely speak it was so loud. Don’t ask me why but that’s all I could hear until finally I told him what I needed and once he realized who I was the paper sound stopped. Then he proceeded to tell me that he had forgot about my order on accident and very scatter brained sounding stated he was very busy but he knows my order and to call back tomorrow to remind him!

The next day I got an answer and was told because my sprocket was a 26 tooth, I needed another part called the "sombrero" (an adapter for your adapter at an additional $50). It would have been nice to know this when I originally placed my order so I could have gotten it then. Seemed kinda shady the way it’s not mentioned on the sprocket order page. By this time I was low on funds and had to wait until next payday to order the sombrero. I finally got it ordered and again after two weeks without a peep I call again, with no answer. I found a contact page on his site and I filled out the form with no reply.

At this point since it’s been very drug out, I was past the 45 day PayPal claim limit on the sprocket. I tried calling again the next day with still no answer and no other way to make contact, the only thing I could do was to make a claim with PayPal to get my money back. I was able to get the money back for the stupid sombrero but like I said was too late to do anything on the sprocket. I was told by PayPal to talk to my bank about it, so I did and ended up getting my money back. With everything pretty much done on the Jetta for a while besides the rear sprocket, I got tired of waiting.

When I was working on my BMX, I ordered a 30t sprocket from SBP to maybe use on the BMX shift kit. Turns out I didn't need it on the BMX, so it was in my parts bin. After doing some calculations on the gear ratio tool, I found that the difference between similar ratios on a 26” wheel compared to a 20” wheel is about 10 teeth. In other word to get a close ratio to the stock 44t on a 26” bike you would need a 34t on a 20” bike. So the 30t on this 20” bike is gonna be similar to a 40t on a 26” bike. That’s a good all around ratio that can handle hills but still cruise at a slightly lower rpm.

Luckily the sprocket has 30 teeth and I’m using a 3 prong hub adapter. So, all I did was put a layer of painters tape on the sprocket so I could make marks and measurements. Since I needed 3 holes on a 30 tooth all I had to do was count 10 teeth and make a mark. The sprocket diameter is also perfect to fit the adapter with the holes being close to the outside of the sprocket but not too close to the teeth/chain.

Once I had my marks, I made sure the distances where right and all equal with my calipers. Then I used a hand power drill starting with small bits working up to the proper size needed. Once the holes where made I used a bigger bit to put a small bevel on the edge of the new holes to match the beveled bolts on the adapter. Besides being a little thinner and flat making my chain close to my tire, it works perfectly. I got really lucky and made all my holes perfect and my sprocket was nice and centered. Eventually I will upgrade to a heavier/thicker 30t sprocket but not a top priority. I’m really happy with the 30t ratio on this bike.

The handlebars are the stock Jetta bars. They fit the look I wanted and put my arms in the perfect upright cruising position. The stem is an aftermarket BMX unit. I used the same foam grips that I have used on every other build with great results. The throttle, dual brake lever, petcock, and kill switch are all from SBP. The lay back seat post was made by my dad and the seat is a thick gel cruiser saddle with nice big springs. In order to use the nice suspension triple trees I got from the donor bike I had to cut quite a bit off the Jetta’s stock head tube. If it needed to be any shorter they would not have worked on this frame. As you can see just like most things on this bike it’s a tight fit.

The head light is an automotive fog lamp with an H3 led (soon to change) bulb. The head light is powered by a 12v mini-gen straight to the light. The taillight/blinker kit is an elcheapo from Amazon, but it gets the job done and doesn't look too bad.

Since this build is a bobber, I yanked the front fender off and used it in combination with one of the rear fender brackets to use as a “bobbed” rear fender. I think it did the trick just right. The tires on the Jetta are Odyssey Chase Hawk 2.2" black with red reflective stripe (looks white/pink in the pics because of the flash). They roll easy and are super sticky.

Only a few things left to do. I plan to install a smaller pedal sprocket for easier pedaling at starts. I also wanna use the moped pedals from my BMX (since I found some different ones for it). Other than that it’s just small stuff like dong the final tune on the carb, which I will do once the weather gets a little better. She should be finished before summer but as you all know they are never really done!

TL;DR
Here is my Micargi Jetta bobber build. What do you think?

Attachments

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
Any comments or questions? I'd like to hear what you all think. That's why I shared it. I like constructive criticism good or bad. I don't bite. I know it's a lot to read but you could just skim and look at the pics.

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
Thanks you guys for the complements. That means a lot to me. Makes all the headaches and late nights worth it.

Its pretty fun to ride. It fits my smaller size (5'6" 125 lbs) better than a 26" does. I still have a 26" bike (my first build that needs a top end for the motor) that has its purpose and I will get to one of these days. This hobby is so fun and addicting that I have 4-5 bikes built in my head! I like all the different styles and parts, that I wanna make my version of each one. As my parts pile gets bigger I keep finding stuff that goes good together and thus another build I must do. I mean I have most of the parts, why not. Money is the only thing holding me back. Another reason I love this hobby is because you can get a bike and get it all set up while you save for a motor. Then once you have it going over time you can add more and upgrade things as you go.

Because the carb still needs a final tune and is still running pretty rich (I'll do it once we gets some warm weather), she will spit and sputter up to a blistering 29 mph! The low end torque is nice tho. She has a lot of grunt and gets you to that 29 mph pretty quick considering its four stroking the majority of the rpm range.

Those widish/sticky tires and low center of gravity makes her fun to hit the curvy stuff. However, the short wheelbase makes her a little sketchy on the rough stuff at high speeds. She wants to speed wobble a little easier than I would like but its not bad enough to be dangerous.

It is a very comfortable and well balanced ride. It does exactly what I had planned it to do. It's easy to operate because of its size. It's is quick enough to be fun, but not too fast for a beginner. It will be great as a loaner to friends who wanna go on rides with me. So far everyone I let ride it comes back with a huge smile on their face and their hair all blown back!

Once our season comes back I'll get some better out doors pics and a vid up.

Keep the questions & comments coming guys.

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
I have some new parts coming in to finish this puppy off. Of course, they are never really done. Later on I may strip it down and re-paint everything(it has a couple little scratches). I may also do some pin stripes or something like that. Still not sure.

I got a new fuel tank with an angled petcock, so I will be able to slide the tank closer to the handlebars. I also have an air filter (hope it fits) coming from Treatland. Got the jets I needed (60,62, and 64) to tune the carb. I'm gonna try the 62 (from a 66) first and then do a plug chop. It's so rich right now I may need to go to the 60. We shall see.

The LED H3 light that I'm currently using in the headlight just doesn't cut it. So I have a Hella 100w H3 bulb coming to try out. It is tough to pedal while sitting down from a start with the stock 40t chainring. So, I have a 36t sprocket coming as well as a 20t rear freewheel to replace the stock 16t. That setup should help a lot.

While I have the rear wheel off, I went on ahead and ordered a proper 30t rear sprocket to replace the temporary 30t I made. I also have some nice red aluminium valve stem caps for the cherry on top on the way. Pics coming once parts arrive and get installed. Stay tuned.

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
It's a real cool bike, well done. I like the fork and headlight especially.
I'd like to build something like this buit scaled up to a 24" bike sometime. With a banana seat.
I'm waay too big for a 20.. ;)

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I'd like to build something like this buit scaled up to a 24" bike sometime. With a banana seat.
Ive got an old 24" Western Flyer BMX bike that I bought when I was 15 years back in 1983, Im gonna put 26"suspension forks on it and run a 24" rear coater brake wheel with 12ga spokes and I ordered a 50T sprocket yesterday for the intial set up possibly, that may be a bit big for it but Im wanting to build a slow speed stump jumper type trail bike that has the ability to pull itself around at 5-7mph without needing to pedal.

Im thinking this will be some good low speed fun for buzzing around some dirt trails and running up and down some dry bottom stock ponds which in Texas we call "Stock Tanks"

Slogger

Sep 8, 2014
nohio
Ive got an old 24" Western Flyer BMX bike that I bought when I was 15 years back in 1983, Im gonna put 26"suspension forks on it and run a 24" rear coater brake wheel with 12ga spokes and I ordered a 50T sprocket yesterday for the intial set up possibly, that may be a bit big for it but Im wanting to build a slow speed stump jumper type trail bike that has the ability to pull itself around at 5-7mph without needing to pedal.

Im thinking this will be some good low speed fun for buzzing around some dirt trails and running up and down some dry bottom stock ponds which in Texas we call "Stock Tanks"
That will be really nice for the boonies all right. A 50 tooth sounds about right for it. Put up some pictures when you get er goin!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That will be really nice for the boonies all right. A 50 tooth sounds about right for it. Put up some pictures when you get er goin!
Ill do, Ill start a thread on the build as I get morw stuff together for it, Ill have to cut top frame tube so engine will fit and such, but that wont be a biggy.

Sorry HRR , I wont say anymore about my plans here in your thread, I know that this isnt the place and I dont want to hijack what you got going on.

Peace, Map

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
ill be watching... keep up the good work.
Thanks Map! My parts came in so I will be getting pics this evening/tomorrow when I install them. After this one is wrapped up I will be getting back to my beloved dual suspension BMX. Gotta get some more parts for it but its all coming together. Luckily easier than I thought it would go. BTW you can find them Greenline DS-20s for around $150 or so on the net. Way cheaper than I paid when they first came out. Totally worth that price even to leave as a peddler. She is one smooth mochine.

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
Thanks! The triple tree is from a kids dual suspension mountain bike. It gets the job done and looks ok doing it. The V-brake was a nice bonus. The head light is an old automotive fog light I had in my pile. I painted it black and made a bracket. Turned out ok. Currently it has an LED bulb that is very dim, so I got that Hella bulb coming to try. Its runs off of a Mini-gen (from ebay) straight to the light, no battery. It works and I like the simplicity of it. However at idle the light will get really dim and blink or go completely out if idle is low enough (just like some mopeds). It does exactly as I expected and fits this bike fine.

I also plan to build a 24" cruiser similar to this. Also wanted a banana seat on a springer sissy bar. Id get the 16" banana since its smaller and slam it down as low as it will go. Then trim the tops of the sissy bar so they go under the seat to mount instead of on the outside. I think that is a cool look. As much as I hate'em, Wally world has a cool 24" Cranny thats black and has some cool tires stock. That is the one I plan to use.

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY

I'd also like to see that bike Map! Sounds like a cool build you have planned out. Keep me informed on that one. I love those older bikes. I was born when you were 16! I wish I was born back when you were. Sometimes I feel like I should have been haha. You had all kinds of awesome things going on in the culture. Man, now you have me wanting to build an off road trail stump jumper! This hobby is TOO fun!

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
Ill do, Ill start a thread on the build as I get morw stuff together for it, Ill have to cut top frame tube so engine will fit and such, but that wont be a biggy.

Sorry HRR , I wont say anymore about my plans here in your thread, I know that this isnt the place and I dont want to hijack what you got going on.

Peace, Map
Let us know when you start that thread. Sounds like a good one. As you know I love BMX bikes!

No worries Map! I like it when people share plans or thoughts. I'm a chatter box so my threads go all over anyways! IMHO that's what makes this place great. Its jam packed with tons of juicy info and that's just how I like it. So please share and talk about whatevers on your mind. I'm for free speach!

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
I saw in another thread where guys where talking about the newish GT5 style motors that people are getting these days. The motors I have on both this build and my BMX are newer GT5 style motors. They have the wider gears in the primary, which need the wider primary side cover. I saw where Mapbike was wondering about the chrome and billet covers and if they would fit. I don't know about the billet ones but I have a set of the chrome covers (from Jakes) on my BMX and they have the extra wide primary cover. Just throwing that out there. I'm gonna go start tinkering on this Jetta.

Last edited:

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I saw in another thread where guys where talking about the newish GT5 style motors that people are getting these days. The motors I have on both this build and my BMX are newer GT5 style motors. They have the wider gears in the primary, which need the wider primary side cover. I saw where Mapbike was wondering about the chrome and billet covers and if they would fit. I don't know about the billet ones but I have a set of the chrome covers (from Jakes) on my BMX and they have the extra wide primary cover. Just throwing that out there. I'm gonna go start tinkering on this Jetta.
good info.... thanks

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Nice build, you did good!

One thing though, you don't have the heat shield spring around the clutch cable where it rests against the cylinder.
Simple to put on and needed ;-}

Otherwise sweet ride.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Let us know when you start that thread. Sounds like a good one. As you know I love BMX bikes!

No worries Map! I like it when people share plans or thoughts. I'm a chatter box so my threads go all over anyways! IMHO that's what makes this place great. Its jam packed with tons of juicy info and that's just how I like it. So please share and talk about whatevers on your mind. I'm for free speach!
Thank you for the understanding, Im a chatter box also, a bunch of us Texas country folk are known for having something to say about everythi g and enjoying lots of info trading...lol

Yeah I think I grew up in a pretty good era, my heart is in the mid 70s and 80s when it comes to music and many things that were just so much better than anything we have today in my opinion.

Ive got the forks, the wheels and the engine to build up, I have the sprocket coming, I have some BMX bars off an older 80s BMX bike, I think an older Mongoose, I'II need to have frame bead blasted to get all the old paint of and I think since the old wWeatern Flyer was originally red that is whT Ill go back with more than likely.

May take me a while to get it whers I want it since I have other projects started but Ill be tinkering with it soon.