DIY Jackshaft

GoldenMotor.com

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Did you just drill through the frame? ?

I am in the starting stages of building my own frame, so something like that would be easily added.

f250cobra

Nov 3, 2010
Central,Pa
Well, you need to find some tubing that you bearings fit into and drill a hole in the frame to accept that tube. Do your homework on gearing, I can't stress that enough! I'm running 22t off the input side and just ordered a 14t to go back to the rear cassette, which was a 16t. I spent about $60 with shipping and everything. Staton inc is a great resource for jackshaft parts, that's where I went. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I agree. Jackshaft mounted freewheel is much less expensive and more reliable than crank sprocket freewheel.
I use a similar setup on my OCC 5 speed.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Not sure if sarcasm or not lol - but as it can look complex at a glance, it's just a 5/8" keyed shaft, two cogs & a "BMX" freewheel w/shaft adapter... it looks busy because this particular setup uses additional stop-collars rather then just set screws on the cogs (for spacing & to be sure the bearings stayed put) but more then anything else it's got a disemboweled & reversed rear derailleur arm for a pedal chain tensioner - given it's a multispeed recumbent, that pedal chain is something ridiculous like eight feet long or so (total).

Another difference is this isn't a pedal crank freewheeled setup - so some of the "complexity" is actually simpler, it's jus' all on the jackshaft rather then spread out all over the bike. This jackshaft/freewheel design is FAR less expensive then the specialized shift "kit" freewheel cranksets but more importantly, it's also significantly more reliable as the engine & pedal drives are isolated until the final. Also, unlike with the crank freewheel setups should that freewheel fail, you can still get home :)

Maybe just a wee bit of sarcasm (due to the angle of the shot) but I can see clearly how it works and it really is rather simple. Others may see and think differently however. I am a simple kinda man, as Lynyrd Skynyrd put it :D

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
I used pillow block bearings. I found them for a good price on eBay for $15 for a pair.

I tried using U-bolts and they didn't work. They do not have enough gripping surface area to prevent the jackshaft from turning around on the seat tube. So I made my own. Very simple part, made both mounts in about 20 min from some scrap aluminum, using a manual mill and a bandsaw. You could probably make similar ones if you find a big enough drill and figure out how to hold it in a drill press. Each of my mounts grips 1.25" of the seat tube, for a total of 2.5" area, almost 360* around. It's not going anywhere.

If I had a welder, I would go with those two-piece shaft collars and just weld a plate directly to two of those. Would be much lighter.