Building gas tank for lami "material help"

GoldenMotor.com

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Hey what material would work best for a gas tank?

drove Lami to work but the tanks so little that I literally burn up all my gas on less then 40 minutes enough gas with slipping clutch to get to work and back.

I also need to know the 40:1 mix ratio in a gallon.

I was thinking polyeurethane from like a parts store or find something premade at goodwill that I can strap on.

If anyone has seen my last photo they would know I have only one bracket installed with room for a second.. I would like to install the second arm and mount a tank over top of the drive system provided that the friction drive system and bracket with wood to seperate the two incase of spill overe.

I gave my boss a little laugh today he kept wandering why I don't bring her into the store no more, why cause IT SMELLS HOT!!! Lol

Here is Lami's potential mount area

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
PVC works. You can buy short sections of 3 or 4" at the Depot. Just ad caps and a filler and you are done. Guess it depends on how much room you have as to how much fuel it will hold. If you have a bike with a top bar maybe you can mount two, one on each side. Other wise buy the much hated peanut tanks that comes with the CG kits. Probably find a deal here on the forum. I have two new ones collecting dust in the shop.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
PVC works. You can buy short sections of 3 or 4" at the Depot. Just ad caps and a filler and you are done. Guess it depends on how much room you have as to how much fuel it will hold. If you have a bike with a top bar maybe you can mount two, one on each side. Other wise buy the much hated peanut tanks that comes with the CG kits. Probably find a deal here on the forum. I have two new ones collecting dust in the shop.
Update:10:04AM

I wanted to build two fuel rails (re edited):

Approximatly 2 gallons for one rail of thick pvc about 6 inches long

I wish to mount it overtop of the current build. Or I would prefer at least 1 gallon fuel rail so I can mix 2 gallons exact in a gas can with 6.4 of royal purple 2 stroke

Pre mix or self mix last question for now, with the last thought before I start picking mufflers.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
PVC works. You can buy short sections of 3 or 4" at the Depot. Just ad caps and a filler and you are done.
Please don't use PVC!
Gas melts PVC, you want HDP or MDP (High or Medium Density Polyethylene), it's about the only plastic that is impervious to gasoline.

just walk in your laundry room or look at any plastic gas can, same stuff.
In fact most any liquid jug in your laundry room is a HDP plastic jug.

PVC... jezzz, take a piece and soak it in some gas for a week and see what happens.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Please don't use PVC!
Gas melts PVC, you want HDP or MDP (High or Medium Density Polyethylene), it's about the only plastic that is impervious to gasoline.

just walk in your laundry room or look at any plastic gas can, same stuff.
In fact most any liquid jug in your laundry room is a HDP plastic jug.

PVC... jezzz, take a piece and soak it in some gas for a week and see what happens.

I am aware of the pvc part as others have had issue with glue deturation with pvc pipes. But I do helieve the black ones are polyeurthane enhanced.

Anyway, If that is the case about the cans found in a laundry room I might as well pimp a jug out only small thing is I wish for the set up to be something of a somewhat quick release.

With plugs that prevent the flow of fuel when disconnected.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I am aware of the pvc part as others have had issue with glue deturation with pvc pipes. But I do helieve the black ones are polyEurthane enhanced.
That does nothing for you, PolyEthylene is the plastic that is gas resistant.

Just look on the bottom of any household cleaner type liquid as well as anti-freeze jugs, oil jugs etc.
You should see a recycle triangle with MDPE or HDPE on the bottom of the jug.

Anyway, If that is the case about the cans found in a laundry room I might as well pimp a jug out only small thing is I wish for the set up to be something of a somewhat quick release.

With plugs that prevent the flow of fuel when disconnected.
Fitting a petcock on one is another story and I haven't made one, I just pointed out what materials you can find around the house that work and PVC isn't one of them ;-}

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Don't know what I got at the Depot then KC but it never failed. Made a small test tank and let it sit for weeks with no issues on the material or the glue. PVC is solvated by MEK. Ive got a piece I recently purchased. I will go soak it to see if they have changed any thing. Never had much luck gluing the stuff together with gasoline-lol.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Don't want to tell any body wrong. So the test is under way. This is stored safely outside with the cap slightly loose to keep the temp extremes from breaking the jar. See yall in about 10days.

Attachments

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
That does nothing for you, PolyEthylene is the plastic that is gas resistant.

Just look on the bottom of any household cleaner type liquid as well as anti-freeze jugs, oil jugs etc.
You should see a recycle triangle with MDPE or HDPE on the bottom of the jug.

Fitting a petcock on one is another story and I haven't made one, I just pointed out what materials you can find around the house that work and PVC isn't one of them ;-}
Well nothing left by to hit the goodwill I still need to find the proper can preferably like we talked about anybody in particular oil selection that they like?

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Don't know what I got at the Depot then KC but it never failed. Made a small test tank and let it sit for weeks with no issues on the material or the glue. PVC is solvated by MEK. Ive got a piece I recently purchased. I will go soak it to see if they have changed any thing. Never had much luck gluing the stuff together with gasoline-lol.
Just look for sediment, especially once it gets above 70F.
All I know is HDPE can contain Gasoline and Ethanol extremely well and why it used to bottle most caustic liquids and used in a great deal of automotive gas tanks.

http://www.eval-americas.com/us/applications/automotive/fuel-tanks.aspx

PolyVinylChloride not so well.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Just look for sediment, especially once it gets above 70F.
All I know is HDPE can contain Gasoline and Ethanol extremely well and why it used to bottle most caustic liquids and used in a great deal of automotive gas tanks.

http://www.eval-americas.com/us/applications/automotive/fuel-tanks.aspx

PolyVinylChloride not so well.
Just might have to do a laundry container, with my accidential experiment I found that during a oil change on my wifes trucl I managed to drain 6 quarts of oil into a empty laundry container bit I did also notice after several weeks in a basket by the dumpster it fid not drip a leak I will have to go drop this container off soon.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
Don't want to tell any body wrong. So the test is under way. This is stored safely outside with the cap slightly loose to keep the temp extremes from breaking the jar. See yall in about 10days.
Wait! *Slams on brakes* a glass gas tank will work fine assuming no one crashes into it.

You have me the perfect idea with a pickle jar hahaha.

The catch is mounting a glass jar to where its padded and won't fall and bustvl

What about those glacier water bottles that use to be 10 bucks when they first came out bit then dropped to 1 dollar after.

In the old days I know people used water bottles to power the vehicle and if a caucasion redneck can take a bucket and hook it up tp a fuel pump in the trunk I suppose I can do the same as well although a motorized bicycle is more likley to get away with it before a emissions based vehicle can get away with a bucket.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
How about using a gas tank for a gas tank? Anything from old lawn mowers to snow blowers... any small gasoline engine came with a gas tank. Check with a small engine shop where they will have such sitting around back on donor machines. You can spend as much money buying the hardware to convert a plastic jug into a gas tank as it costs to buy an old gas tank. Or ask around here on the forum. Lots of peanut tanks are gathering dust on shelves. I don't think one would cost you much more than the shipping.
Glass is not a real good choice in materials since it breaks and broken glass cuts.
Posting a photo of the bike would help members in making suggestions. Since gasoline is volatile and can lead to serious burns, do be careful.
SB

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
How about using a gas tank for a gas tank? Anything from old lawn mowers to snow blowers... any small gasoline engine came with a gas tank. Check with a small engine shop where they will have such sitting around back on donor machines. You can spend as much money buying the hardware to convert a plastic jug into a gas tank as it costs to buy an old gas tank. Or ask around here on the forum. Lots of peanut tanks are gathering dust on shelves. I don't think one would cost you much more than the shipping.
Glass is not a real good choice in materials since it breaks and broken glass cuts.
Posting a photo of the bike would help members in making suggestions. Since gasoline is volatile and can lead to serious burns, do be careful.
SB
Photos added to the post here os a shot of the area space for tje gas tank.

If you take a good look you will see one mount arm, secondly I am going to be adding the second arm and bolting on some plywood for a dual safetey purpose between yhe friction drive and tire.

Why?

One for a solid mount base and secondly to prevent splash back caused bu lad the weather.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Can you post a photo showing more of the bike, especially the area in front of the engine and behind the seat? Take a picture showing both engine and seat area all in one photo. How will you utilize the second gas tank... using it instead of the built in tank or using both? Do you have access to the fuel line so that you could make a T in the line? How much fuel do you need to carry? A pint, quart, half gallon...

Another option is to carry an auxiliary tank which just stores the fuel so that when you think your tank may be getting low you stop and refill it using your little "gas can". If your bike has a spot on the front down tube for a water bottle, consider an aluminum one for storing gas. I used to carry a little can that had come with "sea foam" (a gas additive) in it... had a screw cap and worked great. Something like that could clip to a water bottle mount and might be enough to get you where you're going. Just a thought...
SB

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
I might as well take the 32oz bottle I got from my premix and attatch it to the handle bars. No access to gas lines but I would like to drill a piolet hole and insert the gas lines in the bottle by gravity.

I do not wish to put anything in my water bottle holder such as gas, everything must be mounted on the front. Gas tank motor and all.

omg wife tripping this morning, now she talking about no cigarretes yep, I want my gas if I'm dropping packs and ill just collect up all my street found change and purchase singles from people. I may need to get a tip jar for work too, to cover additional fuel expenses weekly.

Take my cigs fine, but take my fuel and we have a problem

I am starting to stop caring all together since this is bow down to the wife and these rachet tail accessory companies.

The only good thing about my job is that I am a sign spinner so I am not limited to additional pay.

Last edited:

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
My mistake in thinking this was rear engine. I see now that it is up front.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I thought you wanted suggestions. Do what you want.
SB

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
My mistake in thinking this was rear engine. I see now that it is up front.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do. I thought you wanted suggestions. Do what you want Where to get a deal is a key.
SB
I know and I understand, I appreciate everyones help here, I am just the typical American Conservative Democrat, with that being said I he Money" but I do believe in case ratios that money should be distributed equally amongst all Americans and new comers equally. That comes to everything excluding war. Let someone else blow them selves up for once. That's not to say a man cannot have 1million dollars in a years salary. Pay up,

IF YOU PAY TAX, WE ALL PAY TAX, AT THE SAME RATE. no more political talk please

Thanks, maybe I can come up with a garbage beer keg from heinekien. Paint, fabrication, proper sealant,

I got connections to everything I have been so many places.

Regardless I am a Bolens MTD Suporter, very powerful on friction drive supported that the you choose or modify your clutch.I may be able to get my extra peg welded when it comes it to work with knobbies. Weld pattern would kind of look like a pvc connector take it file the edges after build (catchy) resuming if you don't ram the throttle. Simulates yiming on a wheel inner locking.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
As promised a report back about the PVC soaking for the last 10 days in a jar of E10 unleaded. Not one bit different than when it went in. No degradation of any kind. No swelling/shrinkage/softening/color change etc.. I and other builders have used PVC in the past with no problems for fuel tanks. They are easy to make, cheap enough, can be threaded for fittings, and painted. Don't make the most beautiful tanks, but look decent especially on a behind the seat mount. Biggest down side I can come up with is the possibility of breakage is an extreme crash. Hit some 4" with a hammer and you would see the type crash it would take.

TheSignGuy

Nov 24, 2014
seattle, wa
As promised a report back about the PVC soaking for the last 10 days in a jar of E10 unleaded. Not one bit different than when it went in. No degradation of any kind. No swelling/shrinkage/softening/color change etc.. I and other builders have used PVC in the past with no problems for fuel tanks. They are easy to make, cheap enough, can be threaded for fittings, and painted. Don't make the most beautiful tanks, but look decent especially on a behind the seat mount. Biggest down side I can come up with is the possibility of breakage is an extreme crash. Hit some 4" with a hammer and you would see the type crash it would take.
looks like I will be building a 3 inch wide gas tank now the issue is to determon the length which woupd be equal to 1 gallon.