Opinions from seasoned builders please.

GoldenMotor.com

vdubbles24

Dec 17, 2014
Indiana
Been thinking about my wheels.

Looked on husky site. Can get 26" wheels 11ga spokes really reasonable. Lookin at swapping hubs out for the rear tricycle hubs. Heavy duty 30 mm hub 17 mm axles. Hubs have 3 hole flange on both sides. Figure I could fab up spacers for hubs for drive sprocket and brake disc.

Hub

Axle

I'm goin with a Indian BTR clone, cocker tires. I've read the weakest link is wheels, hubs, and tires.

Opinions please.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
I have a set of those hubs on a trike and they are not very substantial. They bent pretty easily when I had to knock a stuck one off the axle. You probably want to use 12ga spokes also. Is it the style of the hub you are after? I have had no issues using good quality off the shelf cruiser steel rims laced with 12ga spokes. Ran a 125cc Lifan 4speed trans engine of around 8+hp with these wheels with no issues.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I just bought that very same wheel from the same vendor for my build. I haven't ridden it yet because the bike isn't finished. But the wheel feels good and solid in my hands.

I had a different wheel with 12 gauge spokes on an earlier bike. There was no doubt that that wheel was superior to 14 gauge for this job.

In fact, at a mere 29 bucks, I bought two of them. I figure the first one will get out of true sooner or later. I'll just slap on the second one and start truing the first.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
If it was Me , I would have drums front and rear. Worksman sells just their hoops and spokes, so you could lace up your choice of hubs if you know how.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I'm not in any way experienced with building, but the continuous vein of wisdom to be mined is the one where the lesson is to over engineer, to use the best available parts where possible. It's the path I'm following.

Commander Billypool

Nov 30, 2014
Citrus Springs Fl.
offer a reasonable review of even a few enhancements please to build out of the box repeating the process does not offer any advantages and too much of the information related to the hobby is not available or shared It would help having useful information I've found nearly none from venders yet

Attachments

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
I was planning on disc brakes front and rear.
If you are going for an Indian looking boardtracker, I think the discs would look out of place. If you are set on discs get a hold of Norm at Venice motorbikes, he has some pretty fair priced wheels set up for discs, I think he even has the brakes as well.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Vdubbles:

Sorry for the bit of fun, could not resist.

Regarding brakes, the front disc is the important part. i don't even run a rear brake on the sidehack, and it is heavy. Nobody has ever commented on the front brake - I think people are so used to seeing a disc it goes right by them

I destroyed a set of aluminum rims on that bike. I replaced them with the heavy steel rims from Silver State. The outboard wheel is just like he ships them, with the small drum brake. I re-laced the heavy rim & 12ga spokes in to the disc brake hub from the taco'ed alloy wheels. No problems since.

Good luck with your project

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
What is the spacing on your rear dropout? Is it 110mm or 135mm? If it is 135mm you can find great quality disc brake, single speed hubs all day long. If it is 110 mm, check out this hub....

http://www.damgood.com/cycle.html

I have used disc break hubs in the past and they have worked great! Especially the DMR Revolver hub. I have never used the Dam Good Engineering one, but members on here have on a 212cc build so I know they hold up.

Just my 2 cents.....

BOYGOFAST

Sep 28, 2013
Citrus Springs Fl.
Sure I'll show off this unstartable bike, you mention the hub and yeah it's great but the sprocket to fit that design will not be easy to find.I'm working on a 3 speed setup that I need to lock the nexus 3 speed hub and flip flop the wheel but I've not got around to requesting it about locking the wheel itself by locking the free wheel and I'm not sure it can be locked or seized and still get it to shift up or down. I don't need the freewheel in it the front hub has a freewheel.But I do need at the least a roller brake. I didn't want to take the hub apart I'm going to ask for some help with it a a bike shop nearby. But that's only part of it the bike is old and I can lock the hub to start the thing by punching a pair of holes in the sprocket and slide a bolt a cotter pin set into a pipe clamp just to start the engine but it don't help for brakes. If I'd thought about it I'd never ordered the jack shaft kit that needs to be cut to fit and lighten a bit as well. Hey a seasoned builder builds from scratch out of pipe and has a machine shop these guys building out of the box aren't builders they are assembly techs at best. I'd don't want to pick hub or the idea of adding salt and pepper but you can build a hub with some scrap and a decent shop which most don't have but sooner or later the idea will catch on.

Attachments