29 inch Genesis Onex - 4 stroke Huashengtaishan Sky Hawk

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Hello all! Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated:) Actually, I just don't have a computer. I have been following along on my phone, and wow! there are lots of new members :ride: So cool.
I've built a few bikes since I last checked in, resurrected a few, and then there's this Onyx. It was to be the first build between myself and a friend. I knew it would be on me when he decided it was too difficult to attach the rag joint gear assembly! I kid you BA. But I did end up with the bike, and too late into the season to sell it, so I may add some things. I don't want to put this bike in the $1000 range, but there are some things I'd like to do if money permits. I burned the bejeysis outta myself on the pipe- dang that was bad! Other than the endless hours of modification of the motor mount, and the softness of the frame, this was a pretty straight forward build. Hope everyones not bored with these bikes yet...

pic 4) the cut-out I was forced to put in the breather box (air filter housing) to fit the motor

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Re: 29 inch Genesis Onex - 4 stroke Huashengtaishan Skay Hawk

pic 1) I did have to slightly tweak the bend on the kit muffler pipe. It rides directly on the pedal crank. The $50 Cruiser has the same condition, and there
have been no problems after many, many miles.
pic 2) The rag joint is looking as good as I could get it to look- blah!
pic 3) I had to stagger the bolts on the rag joint because of the size (number of spokes) of this wheel. Notice the big #8 washer I had to use because the
dropouts would compress when cranking down the axle nuts. Much softer than I expected.
pic 4) Here's where the frustration comes in. It's not a great picture, but can you see how the rear axle seems out of plumb/ square to the frame? That's
because it is! This is the last aluminum frame I build.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

Don't know if I should be proud or ashamed, but it took me ten (yes, 10) man-hours to fit this motor mount.

pic 1) front, top
pic 2) front, bottom
pic 3) front, top, drivers right
pic 4) rear, bottom

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

pic 1) choke clearance
pic 2) painted the head tin just because. Lot's and lot's of compliments on this one.

I believe the large size of the wheels causes acceleration problems for this bike, plus rag joints aren't very good. There's a guy around here that mounted the same kit in the same bicycle, at what must be at least a 40 degree angle. If you're reading this; stop riding that! Mount your 4-stroke engines as close to level as possible, because like a car, they have an oil reserve in the bottom that must circulate properly or BANG!:) This is a WalMart bike, Bird Dog kit.

I will be reading along on my phone, and I might even try to post from that dang thing. Keep building!

Enjoy

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

Thanks felllas. Dave, glad to see you hanging out, hope you're feeling tip top.

I went full throttle today... surprisingly unimpressive. It is stock except for the fuel line, so I may have to spend a few more bucks.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

Thanks felllas. Dave, glad to see you hanging out, hope you're feeling tip top.

I went full throttle today... surprisingly unimpressive. It is stock except for the fuel line, so I may have to spend a few more bucks.
Nice clean look.

That Stage III transfer case however is a big drag on your power, especially if you don't keep it cleaned out and perfect level of light (like 10w 3-in-1 oil) to splash the 3 gears and not be a drag.

A belt drive is much less hassle and drag, it's just bigger than the Stage III.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

KC- Yeah, I'd have to agree. I do keep the oil right, but you still only get what you get. Good news though; I've put a few more miles on and inflated the tires to the recommended 40psi (hard ride) and speed has improved greatly!

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

Good news Trey.
Now that you have it rolling well you can think about ways to make it more comfortable to ride.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

great to see ya Trey! Was wondering where you got off to

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

Hey Dan! Glad to see your up an at it. I read along on my phone, but posting from that thing is above my pay grade. Methinks 2015 is the year I actually get myself a computer... now where is that ms dos manual...

KC, it has taken some self control not to do anything else to it. It doesn't appeal to me so I intend to sell it, and every improvement jacks up the sale price. Oh, I forgot to mention (shame:)?) that I asked for the stage 3 because I thought gears would be longer lasting than the belt drive. I'm pretty sure Bird Dog was almost out of those, so it'll be belt drives from here on out. Of course we've got another 26 months of winter to get through here... lol

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Trey, forgive th OT. but given how ya travel, get that foxfi and even a cheap tablet or laptop. Aside from being able to mess around with us here, could have TV, movies and all that stuff. Or could even use a "phablet" with a keyboard. (big smart phone)

Just dawned on me, could just add a mouse and keyboard to your phone. (I think, just need bluetooth) We live in great times!

https://www.google.com/search?q=use...hrome..69i57&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=0&ie=UTF-8

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

I read along on my phone, but posting from that thing is above my pay grade. Methinks 2015 is the year I actually get myself a computer... now where is that ms dos manual...
You always crack me up Trey ;-}
I can't stand cell phones, any of them and refuse to own one other than that flip phone that does nothing but make and receive voice calls with nice big dial buttons, handy for an emergency if I cared to put more minutes on it.

And what a joke is that minutes thing?
They expire! I'm like Whaaat!?, it's not like it's milk or something!

KC, it has taken some self control not to do anything else to it. It doesn't appeal to me so I intend to sell it, and every improvement jacks up the sale price.
Oh, I forgot to mention (shame:)?) that I asked for the stage 3 because I thought gears would be longer lasting than the belt drive. I'm pretty sure Bird Dog was almost out of those, so it'll be belt drives from here on out.
Of course we've got another 26 months of winter to get through here... lol
(choke) hehe, I just spitup on my keyboard laughing ;-}
We get about 26 DAYS of winter here, we had a couple of them already, I even had to cover the lemon tree a couple of nights, but it was 81F yesterday and we test rode in shorts and T-shirts.

Good 'ole DOS 3.1, the whole operating system fit on a single 360K 5.25" floppy.

A good PC is a must for me, which begs the question why would I buy a new PC with Windows 8.1?
It was new and cheap and I didn't know it turned your desktop into a frigg'n cell phone screen.

I don't like 64-bit 8.1 a bit, it strips web page content, few of my old programs will run on it, and even new stuff isn't 'new enough' for it, sucks, like buying a new 4K big screen TV only to find there is no 4K content to watch on it.
I didn't of course, I can just all the suckers that have hehehe ;-}

Have a good new year Trey, and maybe a new desktop with Windows 7 and a couple of 26" flat screen monitors will hold until your ice age ends.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

Dan- Phablet. Oh man, that's awesome:) Reminds me of that list Paul posted, of words normal people don't know. I'm actually thinking about a huge phone/small tablet contraption. A friend went to Tokyo a couple years back and got what looks like a chess piece, that beams a lighted 'keyboard' onto your tabletop. Works like a charm, gives me the willys.

KC- About half of my friends are 50 and over, the other half are 30 and under, and accepted modes of communication vary greatly. Me, I'm in the middle. We can text, but no emails. I'll leave a message on your cassette answering machine, but I won't "come by if you have something to tell me".
It's 14 degrees in Bozeman this morning, but no wind. Of course we have a high of 25 to look forward to today, so there's that. Yeah... ok it sucks. If I thought I could get this bike through Denver, I'd come ride with you guys. Pretty sure there's a pair of shorts somewhere in storage:) Man, 81? I can't even get my house that warm...
Green text on a black screen, case of floppy discs, and the oregon trail... ahh, back when men were men. I actually got a cash-pay summer job at sun microsystems years ago. Just a big wharehouse in sunnyvale or somewhere. They had me wet sanding some component to specs. I'm sure I cost them more money in wrecked parts and free lunch, than I earned them. Unbelievably, they recommended me for the same gig at dastec, which I took, and promptly ate them out of house and home!

fhrp69

Jan 14, 2015
Davenport, ia

awesome ride man i got a onex to but putting a 2 stroke on it and im glad you posted pictures of your sprocket set up. i was hoping i wasnt gonna have to order a adapter and now i dont so thank you!

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

fhrp69- Glad it helped. Don't forget that frame is soft, so any tightening will compress/ bend/ tweak it some. Also, the kit parts don't fit the Onex handlebars, so you'll have to figure something out there.
Let me know if I can help out, I'm on here at least once a week lately.
Good luck!

Just noticed that your new here- great resource huh? Welcome!

Last edited:

fhrp69

Jan 14, 2015
Davenport, ia

Yep just joined a couple days ago and man you guys have helped me a ton! I'm almost done hopefully will be riding tomorrow! .trk

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013

I've been riding this bike alot, so I guess it's time to do some things to it.

Had to start with the rear fender bracket mounting points.

PIC1 You can see how it was sliding around under that fastener.

PIC2 Reason #3726 why to carry zip-ties.;)

PIC3 I hope this will do it.

PIC4 Plenty of clearance in there.

PIC5 The rubber on the inside of that washer compressed nicely. I think that's it.

Attachments

Last edited: