Huffy Cranbrook first build...

GoldenMotor.com

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
Okay, got the bike in got it put together. Waiting on motor to get in. Last check it is in Chicago, headed here. Should be here tomorrow. Anyway, I'll post pics later on. For now I am leaving the front fender off and keeping the back one on. It looks pretty nice too. Only damage I see is to the chain guard other than that, it arrived without any issues. I am a little nervous being I weigh about 300lbs. I hope it goes well!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Lose the rear fender too unless you reinforce the mounting.
Trust me, sliding down the street at 30 mph is not fun.
The Huffy fenders are a crash waiting to happen....

Danschutz

Aug 19, 2013
Wyoming
Im pretty new around these parts but I would take off the head and cylinder and port and polish the cylinder, intake and exhaust right off the bat. I would also add or repack the wheel bearings with red grease. Also go buy yourself a B8HS spark plug. Bunch of other things to check but I just got home and Im to tired to type anymore lol.

Have fun,
Dan.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I ride a Cranbrook and it is tougher than I expected. I do have some doubts about the longterm reliability of the rear hub. So you'll want to be gentle with it. But the rest of the bike seems to be pretty stout.

In the 300 lb range? Then you're a load. (Sorry to get that personal about it. But we'd better avoid pussy-footing) Be careful. You'll want to ride slow and be alert for roughness in the road ahead.

All the same, between me and the typical cargo I carry my bike's burden is over 200 lbs. And the bike is taking it. Adding about 50% might not push it past it's limits.
Good luck and have fun.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I would bob your fenders and add reinforced fender mount struts. You can find them on some of the bicycle parts sites or you can make your own from something you have laying around. I do like having fenders on the motorbike.

Last edited:

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
Hey guys, just got back in...Been out since 11:30AM and it is now 11:41PM! Anyway, not all of it was work, LOL BUT a majority of it was. Well, good news and bad news. Good news is it fired up and ran. BAD news is the kit was actually missing some parts and well here goes...
The sprocket was a pain in the rear to get on. The two rubber gasket things...They wouldn't fit so wound up only using one, the one that was precut to go on the inside. Had to replace the bolts on it because they split with little effort. Lucky for me the auto parts store is across the street....Anyway, packed the crap out of the hub with high temp grease, got all the bearings etc...The clutch cable was missing a retainer whatchyamacallit that fits on the cable and the fuel filter was cracked, so when I was able to run it, it ran all of 5-10 seconds before it quit again. Also, we had to shorten the chain as well. Didn't have a punch so used a nail LOL. Oh and last thing, the magneto, the spark plug boot, the electrode in the boot fell right out. I just now gotta get a new filter, find a retainer thingy for the clutch cable and ADJUST the carb...Gotta find out how to do that...Other than some hand brakes, I think I'll be good to go. I will post pics tomorrow!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Use a car wire and cap to replace the kit junk.

Just unscrew the wire from the cdi and replace with the car wire and cap. Some are glued in and must be dug out but it's still a great upgrade.

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
Really? Because yeah, this looks like a solid unit, so just dig out the backing on it? Then the wire is screwed in? Sorry, if I don't follow you, I am up late.

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
Kinda venting here but I was disappointed with the lack of instructions included with the kit. I had to go online to know how to install the sprocket and well you know, I think we did better than the engineers since we wound up with some extra parts. LOL No really, have some parts that I have no clue to where they go.

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
I ride a Cranbrook and it is tougher than I expected. I do have some doubts about the longterm reliability of the rear hub. So you'll want to be gentle with it. But the rest of the bike seems to be pretty stout.

In the 300 lb range? Then you're a load. (Sorry to get that personal about it. But we'd better avoid pussy-footing) Be careful. You'll want to ride slow and be alert for roughness in the road ahead.

All the same, between me and the typical cargo I carry my bike's burden is over 200 lbs. And the bike is taking it. Adding about 50% might not push it past it's limits.
Good luck and have fun.
HAHA no big deal. I am actually just about 50lbs overweight...Anyway, I think it will take it.

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
Im pretty new around these parts but I would take off the head and cylinder and port and polish the cylinder, intake and exhaust right off the bat. I would also add or repack the wheel bearings with red grease. Also go buy yourself a B8HS spark plug. Bunch of other things to check but I just got home and Im to tired to type anymore lol.

Have fun,
Dan.
Fittna go grab an NGK spark plug...I think it will run after that.

CranbrookKid

Jul 14, 2013
Western MA
On your sprocket debacle, I put together two huffy's, and to put the rear sprocket on I had to remove the dust cap and instead I used a valve seal grommet that I cut the top off. It fits perfectly and its worked so far for me.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
An update on my Cranbrook. This might be useful for our OP (1kbike) to know about.

Nice looking build, by the way, 1kbike.

I've officially given up on the stock rear wheel. This morning when I took it out I found that the bearing under the brake arm was toasted. This is the fourth time in a year and a half. It's not through lack of grease. Something is smashing the bearing. I'm not an expert, but I'm a careful bike maintainer and I don't think I'm doing anything wrong. So I'm blaming the Huffy hub.

I just ordered a Wheelmaster with a Shimano E-110 hub from our friends at Pirate. I really wanted the Worksman with 11 ga spokes. But it wasn't in stock. A pity.

Though I'm still a fan of the Cranbrook, I have to conclude that that rear hub is just not strong enough for this use. There's others here who agree.

That doesn't mean that you're dead in the water immediately, 1k. You can likely keep this hub going long enough to make long term plans.

Best of luck with it.

Nunyadam

Jun 25, 2013
3rd rock from sun
I'll second Bluegoats opinion on the Huffy hubs. JUNK! they will trash the bearing under the brake arm. ride slow and brake gently. I'm waiting on a Shimano cb-e110 hub myself.

2 different wheels, 4 bearings, 3 different people rebuilding the hubs. (one was a full rebuild at a bike shop.)

The 2 junk hubs i have will be used for target practice soon.

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
On your sprocket debacle, I put together two huffy's, and to put the rear sprocket on I had to remove the dust cap and instead I used a valve seal grommet that I cut the top off. It fits perfectly and its worked so far for me.
For the time being I slapped some grease over where the dust cap would be. I don't plan on riding in the dirt or rain but I like your idea better.

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
I'll second Bluegoats opinion on the Huffy hubs. JUNK! they will trash the bearing under the brake arm. ride slow and brake gently. I'm waiting on a Shimano cb-e110 hub myself.

2 different wheels, 4 bearings, 3 different people rebuilding the hubs. (one was a full rebuild at a bike shop.)

The 2 junk hubs i have will be used for target practice soon.
Ugh! I hate that fact. However, I am sure this wont be my last bike. So, I've got a lot to learn.

1kbike

Aug 24, 2013
Missouri
I broke the chain today. I think it was do to the neglect of not tightening the idler pulley sufficiently. However, being that the sprocket bolts snapped with ease, with little effort (drill was set at #2) and had to replace a few of them, I was hesitant about over tightening any other bolts on the kit. One would assume, that the bolts where all the power and torque end, the bolts would be stronger. Not so I see. Damn you China!

huffy-cranbrook-80cc.jpg

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
An update on my rear hub issues:

I tore apart the hub this morning to fix the trouble that hit me on Saturday morning. I found that it wasn't another crushed wheel bearing, it was a broken axle.

So I've replaced it. Sitting on the stand, the bike pedals and brakes properly. I'll take it out for a test run shortly. After I've cooled off a bit. (Not anger. Excessive heat. Summer just won't end.)

I do wish my new wheel would get here. Then this old Huffy wheel is going to get a new hub and a new lease on life.