My Felt MP WWll Militaria

GoldenMotor.com

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Combined mileage from Crystalyte HS3540 electric hub and HS49 is now approaching 4000 miles. Both motors are almost bulletproof. Only the HS49 requires routine maintenance of any kind.

Bike originally came with fenders. The front fender quick broke off thanks to the streets of Los Angeles. Rear fender lasted much longer but finally gave way. Fenders are just too dangerous to leave on unless they are heavily reinforced at the mounts, so I reluctantly tossed them. It's just not worth the risk..... for or to me. I bruise easily and I'm not a big fan of pain. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Very cool bike. I love the different take on the look.
Thanks much. My next bike is gonna be a Desert Rat Tan version of this bike using a custom made bike frame with a mono shock suspension rolling on massive 3.5" wide Shinko SR242 moped knobbies. The triangle part of the frame will be much larger than the Felt frame you see here in order to fit a much larger Honda GC160 engine.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Also why is that hub in the rear so huge? what kind of wheels are those?
The rear hub is electric (Crystalyte HS3540) with 2250 watts feeding it from the battery in the right ammo can. It is instant monster torque from 0 to 30MPH.

Tires are Duro Razorbacks 24"x2.6"

Rims are 50mm Felt 24"

I got 1/4" clearance on both sides of the wheel. That's about as minimal as I want to get.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
wow, so ur utilizing electric n motor. thats a first ive seen. whats the top speed on that?
Top speed of the entire bike is only limited by the size of the gas engine. 40mph with a 49cc engine. The gas engine does all the high speed, long distance cruising and when the brakes are applied, the electric hub recharges it's batteries like a Prius.

Top speed of the electric hub motor is only limited by the watts powering it. 2250 watts will get this thing to 30mph by itself. 4500 watts would almost do 50mph by itself. And it gets to that top speed in hurry as well. Electric hubs have monster torque. From a deadstop, at a red light, I'm usually the first one across the intersection when the light turns green. Unless there's a motorcycle next to me, then I'm a close second across. Most motorcyclists will gun it, if I look like I'm gonna make it across the intersection before they do. LOL

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
lol wow. must be a blast to ride! i only see a front disk brake, do u have a rear brake?
Rear brake is internal electric (brake regen). It's what recharges my battery.
It feels a lot like ABS braking in a car.

Yeah it's fun. I just wish I could fit a Honda GC160 for the extra top end I need in LA. If I could just do 50mph then that would be perfect for LA streets. I could then ride on any street and feel comfortable while doing it. Not be so glued to my rear view mirror all the time.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
What's up Man..

How did you joint the 1: Ignition 2: Breaks, 3 Kill switches.. I'd love to do this to mine .
Also, how long does it take to recharge the battery. If it charges while driving. This has to be the ultimate long distance bike..

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
What's up Man..

How did you joint the 1: Ignition 2: Breaks, 3 Kill switches.. I'd love to do this to mine .
Also, how long does it take to recharge the battery. If it charges while driving. This has to be the ultimate long distance bike..
6 Hrs. to recharge.

Not sure what you mean by "joint" or "breaks" The kill switch to the engine attaches like any other engine kill switch does.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
My bad.. Spelling.. How did you wire the brakes/throttle with there being two separate systems.
The Tektro Auriga Comp-E Hydraulic brake has a electric switch built into the handle that activates Brake Regen to the controller when you crack that brake handle. It alone can pretty much stop the bike on it's own without the front brake pads ever engaging, on level terrain.

Throttle are separate. Electric thumb on left handle, twist gas throttle on the right. From a stop light or going uphill, both are engaged simultaneously.

Krealitygroup

Mar 16, 2013
Earth
That's amazing. How much would it cost to build one of these. Should I simply buy a hub motor kit with a battery on the 66cc I got?

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That's amazing. How much would it cost to build one of these. Should I simply buy a hub motor kit with a battery on the 66cc I got?
Mine cost about $4000 just for the parts and 6 months to figure it all out. It was a nightmare ordeal to go through on my own, but it's now approaching 4,000 (nearly trouble-free) miles on it. LOL

Limitation of clearances of a typical bicycle frame for engine, beefy tires, and chains on both sides of the bike and overall weight issues, was an instant migraine.

It was built piece by piece. No kits.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Any problems I've had in those 4,000 miles have been solely caused by the roads I was riding on which caused various bolts to literally unscrew themselves and fall out, headlight mounts that snapped in half sending the headlight flying into the street, a flat tire from running over a nail, a pinch flat from a under pressure back tire, a few throttle cable snaps, fender mounts that broke under the shock of high speed riding. Most everything though was shock related due to high speed on 3rd World type roads.

I manged to correct all those failures, one by one by one. LOL