loud tranny,

GoldenMotor.com

JonnyR

May 13, 2012
ronkonkoma, new york
you need to open up the clutch case and put a little grease in between the teeth of the gears and make sure the clutch pine on the sprocket side hs enough grease in it i did this and it quieted down alot

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
One of my bikes (build no.2 the military bike) made a lot of whining noise. It never affected it in any other way.

beach cruiser

Mar 13, 2012
Puget Sound Convergence Zone
The stock gear box does make alot of noise. Grease does not really help. When the gear box shaft broke I tried to find a replacement to no avail. Finially had to go with DAX's racing box kit that came with a 72T sprocket, & 8mm chain. DAX"s gear box is almost half the size of the stock box and alot quieter. The only gripe I have is it has no climbing ability.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
i've done that, no improvement
Are you sure that nothing is scraping in there?
You can try driving the bike with the cover removed.

The gear alignment on the 2 strokes varies a lot.

Also there are a ton of little ball bearings in the clutch free wheel
that are usually running dry.
If you remove the clutch there are 3 small holes on the back where
you can inject some grease into where the bearings run.
I wouldn't recommend oil because it will get on the clutch pads.

Lastly adding sound proofing to the inside of the clutch cover helps
quell the noise. There are many posts about how to do that here.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
I saw the heading "loud tranny" and thought it was about a crossdressing neighbour I used to have.

PAracer

Sep 14, 2012
Steelton, PA
I saw the heading "loud tranny" and thought it was about a crossdressing neighbour I used to have.
Bravo!! I needed a laugh :)

Sounds like your motor could use a complete teardown. Make sure there is lube in all the right places. Inspect for interference. Check for wear/rubbing. Perhaps ever bearing replacement. A loose needle bearing will rattle like crazy and make noise as it chews up its cage.

The more I get into these Chinese motors, the more I realize that it's a crapshoot in every respect.