There IS no spoon....I mean carb

GoldenMotor.com

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
I got a dead snowblower for $2 the other day. My first one. I got that sucker running today, using only my chinagirl experience & the stuff I learned on this site. I'm think I'm almost ready for my 2-stroke black belt lol (famous last words)

KillerCanuck gave me some advice that made it all so clear: Fuel, Air, Compression, Spark. That's all an engine really is.

So that's where i started.
The fuel was black & stunk weird, like it had starting fluid or something in it. Got rid of that. Cleaned out the carb & fuel line with a little WD40 since I didn't have carb cleaner. Let it drain & dry, then filled it from my new jug of opti-2 mix. Fuel, check.
I could see there was nothing blocking the intake. Air, check.
When I pulled the starter cord I could hear little puffy sounds, so I knew there was at least some compression. Check.
Pulled the spark plug out & left it on the engine case with the boot still on it. It wasn't giving a spark when I pulled the cord, so I replaced it. The new plug worked. Spark, check.
After that, I started messing with the carburetor. I've only messed with the kind on a chinagirl, so I don't really know what I was doing. But apparently backing the right screw off 2 turns makes it go.

So I'm pretty happy right now. It's loud & stinky & smoky & looks like it fell out of an airplane, but I made it run. It's missing at least 5 bolts & 1/2 the body...and the half of the body that IS there is pretty sketchy, like I'm afraid a piece of it might catch something & hit me in the face some snowy morn. (I really think it fell out of an airplane.) It's gonna take some creativity to get this thing to where I like it. I wonder if there's a rat class for snowblowers...?
scratg.sno.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Wear safety goggles, gloves, a hat and a snow suit. Then hope for that dry powdery snow; the kind that a leaf blower will move, and go for it. If you need some practice you can come down here to Denver. We've had plenty of the white stuff this winter.
Good luck, have fun and blow safe.
Tom

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
We got 2 inches finally! Ain't much, but perfect timing. I got the entire driveway done in about 1/5 the time it takes with a shovel. Of course, the snowthrower needs to be completely rebuilt now lol what a piece of crap this turned out to be. I've got some ideas for it though. It'll be a respectable machine soon enough.

anim8r

Jul 15, 2011
Michigan
yeah, it's a belt drive....& yep, it needs work there, too lol
My partner picked up a new-ish 2 stroke motor at the minibike swap meet the other day....the plan is to make a sturdy new frame for the snow blower, then mount a driver seat on top. It's gotta be rebuilt anyway, so we're gonna have some fun with it. Sort of a steampunk/Mad Max kinda thing. Lots of rusty jagged parts. I'll call it Tetanus.