What are some quality replacements for HT bicycle engines?

GoldenMotor.com

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder

Since the chinese motors are quite a gamble unless you take the engine apart and rebuild it, at which point even then you couldn't do much if your crank is not built correctly...

What options do we have for quality 2 stroke motors that are the same vertical sort of style? Lifan motors or the like would work great but they are horizontally made which would make things very difficult to fit in just about any frame. The other requirement to me personally is that the motor has to fit inside the frame, none of those rear mounted ones.

Morini was the way to go of course, but they haven't been made for a while and everyone is just about out of stock of them. I think piratecycles has one or two left. Morini links to this site: TDR Motorsports Which shows promise, but there's nothing that can be acquired easily from them either.

So are there any motors left out there that are essentially the replacement for morini's? Or atleast are better than the happy times?

There's something like this I guess.
YAMAHA PW50 PW 50 50CC 2 STROKE COMPLETE ENGINE MOTOR | eBay
Maybe it could fit open frame designs. but nonetheless, it's horizontal. I just can't find a bloody vertical engine of high quality.

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
Re: What are some quality replacements for HT engines?

Those pocketbike motors could certainly fit, I just don't think they are any better than the HT engines. They're built for a light load. I wish there were dimensions for the pw50 engine. It looks good but I don't know if it would fit inside the frame.

frozenveinz

Sep 25, 2011
Washington

The upgraded pocket bike engines pack quite a punch. They seem to be alot better than the HT quality level, and put out 4.2 HP. Still not a morini, but much better than the chinagirls.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama

Those pocketbike motors could certainly fit, I just don't think they are any better than the HT engines. They're built for a light load. I wish there were dimensions for the pw50 engine. It looks good but I don't know if it would fit inside the frame.
11" X 9" X 8"

Answer from a Ebay seller.
Dear innovative-marketing, (this is me)

It's about 11x9x8.
We never done this on bicycle before, if you know how to modify the frame then you can try it.

Thanks.

- hunterh01 (Ebay seller)

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder

Oh, wonderful! Thanks for asking them
I wouldn't till closer to summer but boy would that be an exciting build. I'd need a lot of help im sure though. As far as I can tell, it doesn't have a built in sprocket like the happytimes do. Among other things.
What I hope about the pw50 is that it is a strong engine that can last atleast 10,000 miles or so. Considering a 125cc lifan is 100 dollars less and even comes with a cdi, carb, and a few other things I can only assume it is of higher quality.

A little research will do me good

gubba

Dec 29, 2008
jacksonville, florida

rocky....

if you are runing a 125cc in florida you will get your bike impounded! at least until you get a drivers lic, tags and insurance.
they exceopt anything that looks like a 49cc and dont bother you.
sinnce the 66/80's that i use are overhauld 49's from china its always been ok...... the cops arnt going to pull the head off and check.....lol

stay dry
gubba

Last edited:

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder

You do realize that the linked engine is for a shaft drive?
Something like that is why I'm waiting for the summer to do it. I have no idea what a shaft drive means :p I just looked it up and it is possible to convert it but not without great expense and fabrication. I have my HT in the meantime that runs great so far, hopefully can bring it down to boulder soon.

@gubba- I realize a 125cc is illegal without performing actions to make it legal. I just really like the engine, wasn't planning on putting it on a commuting bike if I did it. Nonetheless, I would absolutely love to put a pw50 on a bike.

shoot. Just when I thought I found an engine that would be great it has this so called shaft drive. It's so difficult to find motors, everyone always sells tons of parts but rarely the actual motor.. Except pocket bikes, they are all over the palce. I think my best bet may be to learn the the china girl inside and out and take time to rebuild them to the best they can be.

Last edited:

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder

Hey Rocky Motor,

Forget about that shaft drive. Check out this moped engine:

PEUGEOT 103 COMPLETE CDI MOPED ENGINE motor cylinder | eBay
That's a great lookin motor, may just be what I was looking to find. Either that or a pocketbike engine.

@al.fisherman- thatsdax sells a good looking pocket bike motor. I made a thread on it and some people piped in about it. It appears to be something to tweak and tune but if I can make a mounting plate for it that goes in-frame It seems like it would be a great motor.
http://motorbicycling.com/f4/dax-titan-gt50-35511.html