The start of my second build

GoldenMotor.com

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Hey Wayne,
Thanks! It means quite a bit to me! I have a lot to be proud of with my dad, he's a great help. We do some WWI "living history" displays and we take the bike as a prop, so I guess you could say we do keep history alive in people (at least in the small way we can :))

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Your Dads bike is one of the best military bikes I've seen if not the best. It will be great to see more photos when you get it out.

I'd borrow it instead of building my own if I could too.

Steve.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
So I was talking to my dad yesterday and we decided that I'm going to use a jack-shaft after all... So that way we can do what the Whizzers did and just screw the pulley onto the spokes instead of welding it to the rim.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Another option, and one that I used, is to make brackets and bolt them to your sheave and rim. That way you can still tighten or replace spokes without messing with your sheave. It would also have to be stronger as it doesn't interfere with the spokes....... Many vintage motorcycles used the same method. I can post a pic later if needed

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Thanks, that would help, I'm open to pretty much any option right now. I just looked at a Whizzer the other day, and my dad said, "Why re-invent the wheel? We got our plans right here!"

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I forgot to mention.... and in case you were wondering i used 6mm buttonhead allenkey bolts through the rim so not to get a puncture. Ive had a few months of troublefree riding with that setup.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
That's how my dad attached his sheave on, was the bolts. Also, where did you get the engine? The internet, or did you find it laying around somewhere? I have to say, that is one of the coolest engines you could possibly put on a bike. Kudos to you, Sir.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im not surprised your dad attatched the sheave the same way, he obviously knows his stuff and this system is used by antique motorcycles, which is where i got the idea.

I have a number of these Villiers engines. I got them off EBay, i bought three motors by themself, and another couple as a complete "cylinder mower", they are an English made motor that are fairly common (certainly not rare) over here, but hard to find in the U.S from what ive heard....... It seems Maytags are very rare here in OZ and the Villiers are very rare in the states.

Heres one of the mowers i bought, and found it just as cheap to buy a complete mower then to buy an engine alone.

Heres my favourite Villiers engine with the sloped barrell

And heres a later model engine

If you are interested in a Villiers engine i could find you one, but the postage from Australia is quite dear, id suggest looking for one on EBay in England and the postage would be cheaper.

charliechaindrive.

Nov 20, 2011
staples mn
Not all that lucky Charlie, we can find the these beautiful engines in plentiful supply, and at a fraction of the cost of a chinagirl, we just cant legally ride them on the road..... sucks really. I had so much fun riding that bike :-||
Yes, it does stink when the pigs ruin your.fun (stoped 3 times on the way to the.lake once) but I was meaning is that you have them at your relative fingertips ! But, until I get my grubby hands on one, a good old briggs an stratton will do :)

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
Yeah, even the states have some dumb rules. In some states, anything but electric is illegal. Thankfully for me, all I have to do in Nebraska is make up to spec for mopeds. So basically, pedals, under 2 horse-power, and I have to have a drivers license or a learner's permit.

Kestrel Motors Inc.

Oct 18, 2011
Nebraska
I found a centrifugal clutch, but I have to make a bushing to make it fit my shaft. Tonight I was itching to do something so I mocked it up a bit. I.E. put the forks and wheels on, slapped the seat it, and loosely screwed the back fender on. Sorry for the bad pictures, I had to take them in the dark with a phone... :/