help please :)

GoldenMotor.com

powerband

Jan 8, 2012
australia
dance1 hey all :) i orderd a 66cc bike engine kit off eaby and it should be hear by the end of the week, but i have a few questions because this is my first build.

before i run the engine what should i do? any tips for starting first time? any tips for mounting?

and do you guys have any other tips for the first time build? link for the kit i got : A80 66ccCHROME motorised bicycle bike engine kit petrol | eBay any good??? thanks in advance :)

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Go over the engine and check all bolts for tightness. Seal the mag where the wires come out with silicone. Blow out all casting and machining debris from the ports.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
This all depends a bit on your mechanical ability and curiosity.

If you are not familiar with mechanic work you might be best off crossing your fingers and hoping for the best with the motor. You should at least check that everything on your motor is tight from the factory, and check the torque on the head bolts if possible. Definitely run a break in fuel mix for at least a gallon or two, recommendations vary from 16:1 to 24:1 ratios. I tend to ride my first gallon at 18:1, second gallon at 24:1, then 32:1 after that. I have also found it a good idea to remove any existing grease you can get at that came from the factory and replace it with fresh clean grease. Most of the time the factory grease is pretty poor, dried up, and sometimes even full of dirt and metal shavings...

If you know some basic mechanics it might be a good idea to pull the head off the motor and inspect things a bit. Look for metal shavings, debris, look for poor casting that might need cleaning up, look for metal fragments that can be removed from inside the intake (if you have the cut/bent/welded type). The head comes off pretty easy, so a top end inspection is not that big of a deal, the bottom end is much more difficult to open so I would not recommend doing that to a novice, only in the event you have a pretty good idea there is something wrong down there would I recommend splitting the bottom end. The toughest part about pulling the top end is getting the rings back into the cylinder. You need to compress the rings in their proper position so the break in the ring mates with the pin in its slot before you can get it to slide into the cylinder. If you do rip into the top end you should also make sure ALL of your studs are firmly seated.

Beyond that, there are a couple sticky posts that go into much more detail about things to check on a new motor if you are so inclined.

Remember, a two stroke motor has no oil in the bottom, it lubricates the motor with oil from the fuel mix, so a 2-stoke is basically running un-lubricated when brand new. For this reason running a break in fuel mix that is heavy on oil is absolutely vital for the first gallon or so of fuel with a new engine.