How long can you ride a 2 stroke without problems?

GoldenMotor.com

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
I have had the same 66cc two stroke tor three years. Bike & motor new. I have run it pulling a bicycle trailer 158 miles one way stopping for smoke breaks. Tires, chains, cables wear out. Never had a problem except running out of gas. My fault. Only time I ride wide open is getting away from a dog. 20 - 25 is good for me. Still runs great. (c)

Skyliner70

May 25, 2011
Colorado
I'll probably put 8 hours on my bike this Sunday, most at full throttle at low speeds climing from 6200 feet to 9500 feet in altitude. As long as you aren't running too lean or too hot, there is no reason why an engine couldn't run non-stop for its normal service life. On a new engine, I would run the engine no more than 15-20 minutes at a time and allow it to completely cool before the next run. I'm a firm believer or "seasoning/ heat tempering" a new engine that hasn't been broken in yet.

Texhun

Aug 2, 2011
Rosebud Texas
Oh!! Sorry gera. I'm running it at usally around 25:1, only because I replaced the needle bearing on the wrist pin with a brass bushing, it runs twice as smooth and is stronger than any other engine I've had so far. And It's a 66cc RAW engine.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Skyliner how did it go?
It went ok and I had a blast. We started out on the Santa Fe bike trail heading South. We pedaled past pedestrians and other bikers with our bikes off. About 8 miles into the Santa Fe trail we took a quick break to put on some sunscreen. During that break a typical spandex biker tried to pick a fight with us and called the police on us. The police caught up with us several miles down the trail when we decided to take to the roads to catch another trail heading west. The police officer complained how he hated cyclists because they violate the law frequently themselves (running red lights, not stopping at stop signs etc...) but are quick to call the police if they think someone is infringing on their rights. The cop was very nice and in the end wanted to know where he could get a motorized bike.

The bikes performed quite well. Each bike's chain stretched (shifter kit bikes) and each bike threw a chain once. It took the two of us less than 5 minutes to tighten the chains. My bike started running very lean which required me to lower the e-clip on the needle valve 2 notches so it would not run as hot. With the carb readjusted, we rode for a total of 7 1/2 hours covering at least 110 miles.

When i got home I discovered that my hand cut intake gasket finally gave out after almost 2 1/2 years which caused engine to run lean. Engine got super hot but running pure castor oil at 32:1 is what saved it. Piston and cylinder look great with no signs of damage even though the exhaust and head are now a dull ashen color.

In short, I got sunburned and hurt badly but it was a fun ride and can't wait to do it again.

GEJoe

Mar 30, 2011
Tennessee
I rode my Golden Eagle 2 stroke Komatsu in September 2006 330 miles in 2 days. No troubles and still a good engine.

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
I ran mine for 12 hours straight all the way from sudbury out to the water shed gas station and another 8 hours from there out to timmins. Almost did a 400 mile round trip on mine this summer ,hauling 87 l.b.s of gear on board keeping a constaint speed of 17/19 m.p.h., also running with a 25:1 gas oil mix with a 48 tooth rear sprocket with no issues whats so ever and made it there and back again with no breakdowns or over heating at all.

xct2 cflg