Rear Sprocket Tolerance?

GoldenMotor.com

ZRTMWA

Feb 23, 2010
Baltimore, Maryland
My rear sprocket (36T) is slightly off center (not side to side), and I emphasize slightly. The center hole of the sprocket varies from 3mm to 5mm from the outside of the rear wheel hub. It's small but enough to notice it when I spin the back wheel. Play on the top part of the chain varies from .5" to 1". Also, the chain makes a popping/clicking noise when I spin the wheel. It sounds like its coming from near the drive sprocket area.

Are these things something to be worried about (chain lock up when I'm riding?)or is it just normal China kit variance?

Thanks.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

I've heard of other installs being further off then yours from a runoff standpoint (either side to side or up and down) ....With a "rag joint" it is nearly impossible to get a perfectly run out free install....

If you have not already done so, it may would probably be a good idea to bevel the sprocket teeth (using a grinder you can bevel the teeth from side to side to help the chain feed better onto the rear sprocket).....Also, try to make sure the chain runs relatively straight from the engine sprocket (A good chain line is important).

If the teeth lack bevel there is a greater chance of the chain falling off because it can misfeed.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew