How Many Miles Do China Engines Go?

GoldenMotor.com

Mannhouse51

Jun 2, 2011
West Michigan
I'm just curious about the life of my little 49cc china two stroker. It's a 2008 and still running good. I ride it to work almost daily (20 miles round trip ). But I've already racked up a thousand miles on it , and it was used when I bought it. Wondering if I should pick up a spare motor kit or just run it until she dies?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Anywhere from ZERO to over 9000!!!

Just kidding a bit here. In reality I had two Chinee that did not run. Sent one back for another that failed after 3 tanks of fuel. The last motor I got never ran, either. I think it's a matter of luck more than anything else. Many here have motors as good as yours. In some ways the earlier motors are better than the latest motors. Seems failure rate is higher these days and it shouldn't be. You'd think that after making thousands and thousands of these motors they'd be getting better, looks more like they are loseing ground daily. A spare is a good idea if you can find one :p

I sold all my Chinee stuff except the throttle and got a used Morini S5 E off eBay. Reports of Morinis going 10,000 miles and more before a rebuild are common. A little more difficult to work with due to the width and having to fab mounts but I think it will be worth the effort :)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I didn't have as much trouble as DaveC but I gave up after one because there were so many things I didn't like. You know like the broken spokes when the chain guide failed. It just was the wrong approach for me. I prefer to roll my own so to speak.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I have built 5 engines, all but 1 works. The one that doesn't is because it needs a new jug/piston (went due to defective head gasket). Been running them since early 2009, although not a every day rider. As far as the quality from older engines to newer engines not being as good, you have to look at the number cast through the SAME mold. They get kind of washed out. A jig or mold, whatever doesn't last forever. My $0.02

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
I had one that i purchased from chris hill back in 2007 and had that one running right up untill just before this spring time. i ended up putting around 10,937 miles on it before it finally wore out on the piston rings. I was doing a lot of long range touring on it averaging 100 mile round trips, but the longest round trip i've done so far with it was a 154 mile round trip out from sudbury ont. to north bay ont. and back again. I had it running at 25:1 gas oil mix for the entire life of the motor after the break in. iI only had to change out the clutch and drive gear at the 9000 mile mark because it was worn out on the drive teeth although the pads where fine.It was only near the end of last winter just before spring time that it finally wore out. i still have the motor which i still plan to put up on display on a stand soon with a small plauqe under it stating the milage i put on it. xct2 cflg

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
That's a real crystal ball kinda question...

I think best answer might be the one from the Ron White comedy routine...

Y'know... the one where one engine of two quit on the commuter flight and another passenger axed, "How far can we get on one engine?"

:)

I'd buy another engine kit now, if you can spring for it.
Why not? They are small, and store well in their box.
Always wise to have spares on hand.

Best
rc

cory151

Oct 19, 2010
SoCal
My China crapped out by spinning the woodruff key on the crank clean off. This also drove me toward the Morini camp, after about 4 months

BADBOOH

Apr 3, 2010
San Diego CA,
Im on my 3rd chinesse 66cc. The first went to almost 1,500 before complete failure. My second went about 800 then lost all comression (dont know why) now on my third with a little over 120 on her. I like to ride these little chinesse girls hard so who knows. I will be building a 4-stroke next time. EZM in fact.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I also got about 1500 before it lost it's seal somewhere in the case and lost power due to not pulling in the fuel. I am working on 3000 miles and 2nd motor, small price for the fun each mile has been.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
ya! iv'e seen him running WITH crazyass orange county six lane traffic and no one drives 40mph not even baird! the only time my mb see 40mph its in the back of my truck..