Leaking head, and terrible MPG

GoldenMotor.com

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Hey guys, so Im gonna attach pictures of the head of my motor. Today was the first time I rode for a long period of time, 20 miles, and when I got home I noticed that it leaked all over the place. Its not the exhaust, and it all looks like its coming fro the head. Not sure what to do.
Also, I have a 2 litter tank. So thats half a gallon. My tank lasts me like 20 miles, or less.
40 MPG?? Aren't they supposed to get like 100?

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Simply remove the head & install a new head gasket. (it's easy!)

As far as MPG?, they don't always get great MPG, especially when you ride at WOT & up a lot of hills.

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
Just a headgasket? Why would it be leaking from the top though? Because that's what it looks like.

But ill check the sites to see where I can get a new head gasket.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
The main reason why you have a leak around the head gasket is that the head is warped....from the factory. I doubt that replaceing just the headgasket will solve your problem
1. Remove the head
2. Mill the head..flat glass, 250 or finer sand paper. Rotate the gasket surface in a up, down and circular motion. Remove enough so you can see the shiny gasket surface. More if you want to up compression.
3. Spray both sides of gasket with a spray on gasket sealer. I use Copper Kote.
4. Replace the cylinder studs if you haven't already done so. Chinese are about a grade 3...go with grade 5 (metric 8.8).
5. Replace head nuts with locking nuts.
6. Torque head nuts in a "X" pattern, 120 inch pounds or more..I use 150 inch pounds. Max on the cast aluminum is 204 inch pounds, for a 8mm stud.
Doing all of above I haven't blown a head gasket in 5 builds. No oil leak either.

I'm 210# and maybe get 80 mpg. Actually I don't care about gas mileage...it's a toy.

Last edited:

geoldr

Jun 19, 2011
California
From the very very top area though? I don't think it could have gotten there from the headgasket. I think it's from one of the bolts. Because there are 4 nuts as you know, 3 of them are clean, and one is dirty and gunked up. I think it's because I can't tighten it properly, my sockets dont fit. Theyre too shallow

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
From the very very top area though? I don't think it could have gotten there from the headgasket. I think it's from one of the bolts. Because there are 4 nuts as you know, 3 of them are clean, and one is dirty and gunked up. I think it's because I can't tighten it properly, my sockets dont fit. Theyre too shallow
Harbor Freight is your friend.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
Stop and think ...it's either the head gasket or the around the plug. If you look at the head gasket there will be 5 holes. One for the cylinder and 4 for the studs. If the gasket is leaking oil mix it can escape between the head and cylinder. Or around the stud. SANE SAME..gasket leaking. Did you mill the head, did you spray gasket maker on the gasket (both sides)? If they are not torqued down, I use 150 inch pounds, the head can leak. Go buy a proper length socket.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
re: adb140275 How did that work out for you? Did yours run any differently? Have you seen any evidence of leaks? I like the idea but mine is working ok so far, so I will just use stock gaskets. These motors are made of soft aluminum though so it should work if sanded fine enough before mounting.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
always retourque after engine gets hot a few times too...Good insurance against more failures.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
always retourque after engine gets hot a few times too...Good insurance against more failures.
I have built way too many engines in my life, and have never had to re-torque. I guess if you use the soft cheap studs that are installed from the factory...maybe so. As far as no head gasket...it will increase the compression ratio as stated above, but may make starting harder also.

Last edited:

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I have built way too many engines in my life, and have never had to re-torque. I guess if you use the soft cheap studs that are installed from the factory...maybe so. As far as no head gasket...it will increase the compression ratio as stated above, but may make starting harder also.
Simple insurance. You never retorque? Then you have been lucky so far. EVERY gasket manuf. reccomends retorque after a few heat cycles.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Really Alf???

That's amazing!

I've built any number that a re-torque was not necessary, but also a bunch that required it when it grew and shrunk...

and my guess would be that these china girls really do need a gasket !
Top and bottom, for double protection! :)

morini ???
Well, a lite coat of silver spray paint may be sufficient for a motor machined to their quality with proper metallurgy when the mating surfaces are lapped.

rc

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I know this thread is old, and Geoldr probably got it all worked out buy now... but I think he was assuming the head was one piece from what he was saying, not realizing there is a gasket under the cylinder body, and another gasket under the cylinder head cover up on top...