I Feel A Season Change Coming

GoldenMotor.com

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Boy, I sure have enjoyed my motor bicycles, had a great time building and riding them. The wife rides too and we've had a great time, always pushing the envelope and going further and further. I've been playing with these things about five years and including different incarnation, I guess I've built about 6 or 7. Of late I've been getting a strange sensations and a longing for a deep throated rumble in my life, something with more than one cylinder.

Been looking at V-Twins, something in the 800 - 1100cc range, wife's ready to jump too. I think we're getting to the age where the longing to hitting the road is becoming overwhelming. Sad to say but a Harley would probably do it for me and MB's for good. Been looking at black boots and jackets, I've already got the ratty jeans, half helmet, beard, mustache and pony tail. What the heck, one season ends and another begins.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
They are heavy and hard to pick up if it falls over.

I know a fellow that had his tip and he picked it up and messed up his arm and had to have 3 operations and it's still messed up.

I asked him what he would do if it fell over again.

He said he would need to get help if it happens again.

I know another fellow that had his fall at night while parked.

He blamed the cat ? :)

Over $3000 damage !

Just don't let it fall over ! :)

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Kerf, Almost afraid to say this but here goes.

Lots of the fellas are going with Harley trikes around here. :)
Might just as well drive a car. If I can balance a bike at 40, I should be able to balance a Harley at 70. I would be great fun to just get up one morning and head for Memphis or take a run to Florida. Talk about freedom, all I need is a couple of pairs of underwear and some socks. Heck, don't even need to take deodorant, just stop at biker hangouts. I already have a nice comfortable hi-rise for the 1911, just throw a jacket or shirt over it and go!

I don't know what's happening, too old for a mid life crisis but I feel that Rebel blood boiling. That's what I need a Rebel Yell Whiskey motorcycle jacket, in black of course.

OMG, I'm giving myself a fever!!!

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Kerf,
I've been looking at motorcycles too. I have three neighbors who have them, a couple of big ones and I watch them go down the highway and remember what it was like when I was a youngster. I had bikes in my teens and early twenties but haven't owned an MC for a lot of years. They really look attractive, until, I start thinking about the realities.

Where to park it: My garage is full

Insurance: My wife and I have too many cars now. Adding another is silly.

Traffic and other drivers: After what I see out there every day? Texting and using cell phones, inattentive driving, etc. It's scary.

Colorado weather: I'd get maybe four months out of the year for comfortable riding. I'm a softy when it comes to cold weather so I wouldn't ride for most of the year.

Let's see, what else? Accessories, risk of injury at my age, getting a motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license...

To heck with it. I think I might stop by the Triumph dealer tomorrow and just see what the payments would be :) Those retro Bonnevilles look so good.
Tom

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Kerf,
I've been looking at motorcycles too. I have three neighbors who have them, a couple of big ones and I watch them go down the highway and remember what it was like when I was a youngster. I had bikes in my teens and early twenties but haven't owned an MC for a lot of years. They really look attractive, until, I start thinking about the realities.

Where to park it: My garage is full

Insurance: My wife and I have too many cars now. Adding another is silly.

Traffic and other drivers: After what I see out there every day? Texting and using cell phones, inattentive driving, etc. It's scary.

Colorado weather: I'd get maybe four months out of the year for comfortable riding. I'm a softy when it comes to cold weather so I wouldn't ride for most of the year.

Let's see, what else? Accessories, risk of injury at my age, getting a motorcycle endorsement on my driver's license...

To heck with it. I think I might stop by the Triumph dealer tomorrow and just see what the payments would be :) Those retro Bonnevilles look so good.
Tom
They would be about as slow in Tampa as a car being as you can't drive up on the sidewalk to get around the wrecks and traffic jams ! :)

Stop and go going real slow is a real pain on a motorcycle in the summer.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Tom, you're getting on the right track. As to cost, well, you can't take it with you and about risk, heck, you want to live forever? I'm not even worried about being disfigured in an accident. I plan on being buried face down in the coffin anyway, so the rest of the world can kiss my, well, I won't go into that here.

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Might just as well drive a car. If I can balance a bike at 40, I should be able to balance a Harley at 70. I would be great fun to just get up one morning and head for Memphis or take a run to Florida. Talk about freedom, all I need is a couple of pairs of underwear and some socks. Heck, don't even need to take deodorant, just stop at biker hangouts. I already have a nice comfortable hi-rise for the 1911, just throw a jacket or shirt over it and go!

I don't know what's happening, too old for a mid life crisis but I feel that Rebel blood boiling. That's what I need a Rebel Yell Whiskey motorcycle jacket, in black of course.

OMG, I'm giving myself a fever!!!
He dropped it over at the gas pump.

The other fell parked by itself. That's what Harleys do ! Fall over ! :)

See if you can find a grassy place and have some friends lay it down and see if you can pick it up ! :)

Last edited:

motorbiker

Mar 22, 2008
Tampa Bay Florida
Tom, you're getting on the right track. As to cost, well, you can't take it with you and about risk, heck, you want to live forever? I'm not even worried about being disfigured in an accident. I plan on being buried face down in the coffin anyway, so the rest of the world can kiss my, well, I won't go into that here.
Hey Kerf,

I figured out how to save S.S. ! ! !

Instead of us old dudes bustin our heads going down the road doing Harleys

Motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law - CBS News

sometimes living and costing the govt big bucks,

why don't they let us go over to Afgan and Iraq and have some fun shootin ? ? ?

Let the younger people live ! ! !

Kinda like in Japan ? :)

Elderly Japanese volunteer for nuke cleanup - CBS News

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Those 650 Triumph's are nice.

I have a 650 too, although mine has an automatic transmission.

This is the best bike I've owned so far, I love it!

My last bike was a Kawasaki Concours and that was a good bike too, but it had one nasty problem. The heat from that big liter size motor would cook my legs in the summer time. Yeah, it was water cooled, but that was even more of a problem. In town the radiator fan would turn on at lights and suck air through the hot radiator and blow it right past the hot header pipes and onto my legs. It was actually past annoying and into painful.

But the scooter has the motor under the cowl and the exhaust headers are under the motor. The heat from the radiator just goes through this "tunnel" and blows down under the bike. I can ride around town when it's a hundred and not cook my legs - :)

Go for it, motorcycles are great!