Chain/Clutch problems! Need help!!!

GoldenMotor.com

TripleG23

Jun 14, 2011
East Tenn
Im new to the motorized bike world and so far I have been very successful installing the motor on the bike. However Ive run into/noticed a few problems while installing the chain. The cover that covers the sprocket on the engine will not come off. All 3 bolts are jammed up with paint and from a few things Ive looked at apparently that needs to come off? The other problem is that even tho I have tightened the clutch cable to specifications when I pull the lever the sprocket/chain (the one on the engine) will not turn, it will rotate a little back and forth but will not make a full turn. I looked into some details about adjusting the clutch and saw the whole flower nut lock screw deal but Im assuming thats for adjustments once the engine runs. Not to mention when I looked at the locking screw there it is stripped...straight from the factory. Breaking the chain is not an issue I can do that, Im good with bikes but have no engine know-how. So somebody please give me some advice before I lose my patience because I was super stoked about my summer project and refuse to give up but Im startin to wear down!!!

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If it a new engine sometimes you have to hold in the clutch and roll the bike back and forth to free up the clutch. You will however have to remove the cover at some point, to lube the clutch arm shaft pivot or to remove the chain if it breaks and tangles up on top of the sprocket. On some engines there is a nut on the top bolt closest to the rear to mount the chain cover, remove it first.

TripleG23

Jun 14, 2011
East Tenn
Theres no nut on it but Im 90% sure the problem is the paint jammin up the threads. Any tips on how to remove the paint from the bolts? like a solvent or something? Thanks for the tip on the clutch tho Ill give that a shot and let ya know how it goes.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
You can use grafatti removal spray, it desolves paint. Spray it in the cap and use a cotten q-tip to put it on the screw heads.

TripleG23

Jun 14, 2011
East Tenn
Thanks for the tips...I got the chain on and its rollin fine now with just a few minor clearance issues. Need to fine tune my rear sprocket even more and adjust the rear wheel postion a hair and I should have it!