Stalls at red lights, but starts again easily.

GoldenMotor.com

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE
After about 15 minutes into the ride it stalls at red lights, but starts right up easily. How do you fix this? Will a boost bottle correct this? (BACKSTORY: New 66cc grubee engine, still using the 8oz oil to 1 gal gas break in mix. New carb from thatsdax.com) I don't want to dink w. carb until out of break in period. THOUGHTS?

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
First, what kind of carburetor are you using?
If you don't know how about taking a picture of it ?

Sounds like you might have your idle set too low.
Does it stay running if you hold the throttle slightly open?

Another thing to check is to see if your clutch is dragging.
Get off the bike and hold the back wheel off the ground with the clutch lever pulled in. If the wheel is spinning while the clutch is in, it needs to be adjusted. (engine running of course.)

Your mixture is really too oily....... 8oz of oil to 1 gallon is 16:1
Somewhere in the ballpark of 24:1 would be better for breaking in, and giving your spark plug a fighting chance of not fouling quickly. about 5 oz. per gallon

Try this out and report back...

TiM

Last edited:

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE
Tim,
Its a RT 15mm High Performance carb. Runs good out of the box. I'm quite impressed compared to my previous CNS.

It idles fine after initial start. I get that slow 'Waaaao' sound when I stop and have to throttle up.

The rear wheel does turn slowly when clutch is in.

I'll try the 5oz./gal mix.

[will adjust these and get back to you]

Thx,
Mike

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
this may sound stupid, but is the choke still on?

the reason i ask is when i left the burrito shop the other day, i bumped the choke lever half-on, and every time i let off the gas it died. figured it out right away, but it freaked me out for a minute.

skyhawk66cc

May 2, 2011
Washington
Could be an air leak, mine would idle fine and after about 10 mins of running something would warm up and start leaking and would die if I didn’t give it throttle when I would stop. I resealed everything with High Temp RTV. Took me awhile to figure out what was going on since I thought I had sealed everything up really well. Give it a shot, it’s worth trying.

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE
I thinned the break in mix from 8oz/gal to 5oz/gal & idles much better after warm up. I still need to check the clutch. An air leak makes good sense, though. I'll check that out too.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
4 Step Clutch Adjustment.

1. Adjust the clutch's camshaft so that it is perfectly flat against the bucking bar.
2. Put the clutch handle into the locked position.
3. Adjust the flower nut CCW in very slow increments, checking to see when your bike rolls freely. Put the locking screw back in to lock the flower nut.
4. Fire up the bike, lock the clutch and lift the back wheel off the ground. If the wheel moves, adjust the flower nut again.

That's the quickest and simplest way to adjust the clutch - if your rear wheel moves at ALL, it needs adjusted.