Question about bogging out.

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I've been having a problem lately with my engine bogging out.....let me try to describe it best I can and see if you guys can give me your opinion or maybe a fix.

Just swapped out to a new centrifugal clutch on my Mitsubishi TLE 43 friction drive....the old one was slipping rather badly-the new one hooks up *solid* and as long as I keep the revs up-I don't have any issues.

Here's where I have issues, before with the old clutch when going up a hill....the clutch would slip and therefore the revs would stay up. Now, with the new clutch, when I go up the same hills as before- the clutch doesn't slip whatsoever and as soon as the engine has a small load on it-it bogs down. It doesn't miss but it feels like the engine is getting too much fuel.

Here's what I've tried so far.....

-replaced the spark plug with an identical NKG Iridium. I'm wondering if the gap has any effect- right now, I have it gapped at .32....too much gap? Not enough?

When I'm running on flat ground, if I give it too much throttle all at once-it bogs out for a little bit but as it picks up speed....it feels like it gets on top of the gear and it will slowly get up to top speed and while at top speed (about 30mph)....it runs very smoothly

-played around with fuel/oil ratios.....I use Opti 2 and I was running it at about 50 to 1- to be honest-it scares the crap out of me to run it at 100:1. I've been running it at 50:1 for the past two years with no issues. I've tried increasing the amount of oil to about 30:1 with no effect, if anything, it might have made to problem slightly worse.

I've read that if your mixture doesn't have enough oil in it...you can pretty much ruin your motor. I've checked my spark plug color and it is a perfect tan color with no oil residue.

I've done a little research and it seems that the carb on my TLE 43 doesn't have an adjustment for fuel/oil or if it does......does someone out there know how to adjust it?

If anybody has any ideas for me to try.....I'd really appreciate:)

recon chris

Apr 28, 2011
pacific grove
IT all depends on the "type" of bog. I know that sounds silly but there is a difference. If it can accelerate just fine on the flats no matter how open the throttle is but bogs (WORKS HARDER) to go up a hill then you need performance tips. Being that you have a Mitsubishi TLE 43 this really doesn’t apply to you; your engine is already top quality the only things I can think of is to put in a slightly deeper spark plug to increase compression (carful with this not too long or you’ll get interference with the piston head) and the other would be after 2 years of build up you may need to strip the carb and fuel assembly down an give it a good cleaning which brings me to my next scenario. If you open the throttle and there is a sudden, however slight, loss of power then it’s a fuel air issue. What’s happening is that you’re not getting enough fuel with your air resulting in running lean. You didn't knot ice this before because your slipping clutch allowed the engine to rev as high as you wanted it to which enabled your engine to complete more strokes to provide what you thought was the usual amount of power. When you run lean like that your engine will rev up just fine however the power you get per stroke is greatly diminished. Sure with no load you would not be able to tell the difference between a healthy engine and a fuel starved one but once you give them both a test (put them under load) you will find that one with no power bogs. This is also why diluting your fuel with more oil makes it worse. This makes the already weak amount of fluid that your carb is delivering to your engine less volatile and thus less combustion per stroke occurs causing the bog. Hope this helps.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Thanks!

What you said makes a LOT of sense. Since I am terrible with fiddly little bits, I just ordered a complete new carb, gasket and insulator from Staton as I'm fairly sure most of my problems stem from this area.

The reason I say this is that I have some sort of fuel leak from the carburetor area.....I can't track down *where* this leak is coming from, so the quickest and easiest way (but not the cheapest) way for me to fix this is to replace parts.

I'll let you know if this works or not-thanks!

George