premixed gas question please help

GoldenMotor.com

Footie

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, Co
I just got my first bike done and i was wandering if premixed 40-1 craftsman gas is good for the break in, (the book says i should us 18 to 1 ratio). I also wanted to know if anybody uses the premix gas from the store.

mbuna420

Oct 9, 2010
Oregon
there is a post on here some where about premix gas and I also think 40-1 will be a little thin for your break in

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I got REALLY cheap 2 cycle oil from the local hardware store. 2 3.2 ounce bottles, and bought just a tiny bit under a gallon of premium at the pump. I shook it together, forming around a 20:1 ratio. This is good for break in and my engine is running great!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I don't think that is the kind of help the man was asking for. :(

To the original poster; Disregard the kit instructions which might tell you to use a 18 or 16:1 fuel/oil mix. Use a quality oil formulated for air cooled two stoke engines. Break in should be a gallon or so at 24:1 and move down to 32:1 afterwards.
Good luck.

Footie

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, Co
I got the gas down now im having problem with the hills in my area, my bike works fine on flat land but when i get to a hill it has problems. Will that get better after the breakin?

thanks

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
It may, the other thing you should think about is whether you are running rich. I would pull the plug out, take a picture of the electrode, and post a picture for us, or describe it the best you can. Rich conditions make for a weak bike. There are easy ways to adjust the carburetor and we can help, if you have the carb with the black skull-shaped filter cover, I can help, If you have a boxy filter cover, someone else can help you. Carb adjustments are a MUST on these engines for better power.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I got the gas down now im having problem with the hills in my area, my bike works fine on flat land but when i get to a hill it has problems. Will that get better after the breakin?

thanks
What rear sprocket are you running? That means, how many teeth on the sprocket. A 41 or 44 tooth sprocket should give you decent performance but also, and to answer your question, the engines do run better, produce more power as they break in. This is because the piston rings/cylinder walls wear in and seal better which improves compression and therefore power. If your local terrain is very steep hillls you might want to consider a larger rear sprocket which will increase the hill climbing ability of your bike.
The smaller rear sprocket will give you better flat terrain top speed but will impact the engine's ability to pull hills.
Let us know how you're doing. We're here to help.
Tom

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
...if you have the carb with the black skull-shaped filter cover...
That's a good description, although I always thought it looked more like that walrus-looking character from Futurama.
EDIT: Oh, he's supposed to be a lobster.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
more teeth, carb adjustments, and those fuel ratios are great. ANother thing ive found with omaha,ne climate running the higher grade fuels help. just make sure you avoid the ethanol blends as they tend to eat your gaskets.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I just got my first bike done and i was wandering if premixed 40-1 craftsman gas is good for the break in, (the book says i should us 18 to 1 ratio). I also wanted to know if anybody uses the premix gas from the store.
I would prefer about 25:1 for break in

I always mix my own.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
i have had 3 of the chinese engines, and i never notice a whole lot of difference on hills after breakin. i notice slightly better top speed on flat, throttle response improves, engine seems to run smoother. but i have never had enough of a power increase to give me good speed uphill. for a direct drive system, you cant expect it to climb hills. of course, it may also depend on the riders weight. i weigh around 280. my top speed is between 30 and 35 on flat roads. not too shabby, i say. unfortunately, at the moment my top speed is pedal power, due to the fact that im in the process of rebuilding engines for the 3rd time. ugh! found out the centrifugal clutches are junk, so gotta tear apart a brand new engine to rebuild a used one. not looking forward to this project at all. hopefully can get it done in one day. have to take the cylinder off one engine, put it on another, reconnect my diy ignition switch, bandage my muffler. not looking forward to this rebuild at all.