Coaster brake in the way of rear sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

evapgumdrop

Dec 11, 2010
Santa Clarita
I have a Huffy 26 in. cruiser bicycle and have almost completed installation except for the fact that the chain isn't on yet. That is due to the fact that I can't get the sprocket for the chain on the rear wheel. The coaster brake is in the way. When I took the coaster brake arm off the sprocket didn't exactly fit over the hub so when I reinstalled the brake arm it was rubbing, this must be a constant problem and an easy fix so any suggestions would help. Thanks
.spr.

solokumba

Nov 24, 2010
Florida
When all is said and done if your break arm still rubs against bolts or what not, you can always try to bend it a bit or counter sink the screws to the sprocket. That's what I do.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
DO NOT RUN IT WITHOUT THE BRAKE ARM!
Also, you must have the dust cap in there too to have the correct spacing for the brake arm. (or it will be loose.)

evapgumdrop

Dec 11, 2010
Santa Clarita
Thanks for the advice, i ended up just shaving the dust cap down a little and now the sprocket fits over it, and instead of using the rubber spacers that come with the sprocket I cut out some foam and used it in its place and saved me a good amount of space. It seems so far so good. The next step is getting the chain shortened, then installation of chain, then finally the clutch assembly.

Thanks for all the advice everyone, couldn't have done it without you!!!xct2

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
This is a older thread, you can do a search to locate what you are looking for in the search box near the top of the page.

Last edited:

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I used to build coaster brake machines only as long as real brakes were also installed. I no longer will build them after several failures involving the coaster brake overheating and braking the bearing right out of the hub (seems they'll still use them if they have them).

To build them, I did not modify the dust cap since it really needs to hold the grease in at those temperatures. I used a round file for a 1/2 hour to enlarge the hole in the center of the sprocket till it fit nicely. For the brake arm, I clamped it in a vise and bent it out a bit, then clamped the other end to bend the arm parallel to the base again (you only need an 8th of an inch or so once the bolts pull the sprocket up against the spokes tight).

Using foam instead of hard rubber will give you lots of broken spokes to replace.

just my opinion after doing builds & repairs on maybe 400 or so of these

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I'm not at all familiar with the Huffy's but if you have the Shimano CB-E110 hub then you might look into the Ridley offset splined arm. I am using a sprocket and mount from Sportsman and ran into an interference issue too. Swapped out the arm and everything is solid and no need to modify parts. Part number and contact info for Ridley are in this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39675