Rotten Orange build - Gary Fisher Aquila shifter buildup!

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Yeah I hit 39.7 mph at the rally yesterday. 40 mph with just a bike helmet, a couple sweatshirts, tighty whiteys, jeans and gloves on a mountain bike is smooth enough, but the pavement just seems so unfriendly on it's terms.....

I hear your clutch a bit. Speed shifting.....we all do it (but it's not recommended).....so far the only thing is my derailleur went a bit out of adjustment so at 38 in 5th it tried to slam into the next gear, nothing a little adjustment won't fix, but my wife was wondering about the poop stains in my.....well tighty whiteys.

Last edited:

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Yeah, my clutch has always been really noisy. Have opened it up and done everything I can to quiet it down.

I'm getting the hang of shifting. Just need to ride it a bit more to get it down pat.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
Awesome, congrats on getting everything running.

That is one sweet bike.

I think I might need to ask for the shifter kit for Christmas, as I really struggle and make some ungodly noises trying to get to 25 :(

DasKapitan

Jul 27, 2008
Birchwood, WI
www.cetaceanmarine.com
Datz - Is this your twist throttle? 50cc scooter aluminum throttle: Performance 1/4 turn throttle.
I was wondering if after having installed it and seeing its guts. Do you think with a little machining it could be reversed internally? I'm trying to come up with a left side twist throttle that will turn clockwise for increase. Reason is that I want to install my NuVinci control normal on the right side. TIA

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I've been admiring your build since day one and the finally result is one of the best looking HT Bikes I've ever seen. Awesome Work Datz!

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Datz - Is this your twist throttle? 50cc scooter aluminum throttle: Performance 1/4 turn throttle.
I was wondering if after having installed it and seeing its guts. Do you think with a little machining it could be reversed internally? I'm trying to come up with a left side twist throttle that will turn clockwise for increase. Reason is that I want to install my NuVinci control normal on the right side. TIA
Yep, thats the same throttle that I have.

Here's the link for where I got mine:
Overstock Distributing*|*Power Sports*|*Dirt Bike Parts and Accessories*|*Generic Dirt Bike Parts and Accessories*|*Bodywork*|*1/4 Twist Throttle - Billet Aluminum - Red | OverstockDistributing.com - Official Website

Internally, you could easily adapt this to a left hand throttle. You will need to drill and tap for the throttle cable to come in from the other end, but that would be pretty easy.

I did have some problems with the twist grip rotating inside of the cable pull mechanism though. I ended up pulling the throttle off and using a hammer and punch to lock the grip tube to the cable pull mechanism. With this in mind, you could very easily pull the cable pull mechanism off, flip it over and reinstall (using a punch and hammer to lock in place) to make it into a left hand throttle.

J B Nimble

Apr 15, 2009
Urban Jungle
First of all this is a great thread, You did one **** of a job on that bike. I have a Gary Fisher Wahoo and just learned of the bike engine mods from a friend a couple of days ago. My bike also has a very tight fit for the 80cc motor but I do not have a metal fabrication shop in my garage, freaking cool stuff there!!!

I wanted some input as to the maintenance of the engine, are there any fluids, is it a rotary engine and any other information you could pass along. Soon I will be also trying this mod out for my bike but most likely will keep the Fisher for peddling and will be looking for another donor bike with a better "Vee" for the engine.

Thanks!!!

datz510

May 9, 2008
Mesa, AZ
Thanks for the kind words! This bike is definitely one of a kind.

Since I've built it, I enjoyed it for a while and then traded it for lennyharp's 2008 Whizzer. He's currently enjoying the 'Orange and is getting a real kick out of riding it.

The Rotten Orange will make an appearance at the Death Race 2009 event this weekend. I"ll be bringing the Whizzer down there as well to putt around on at the event.

The engine in the orange is a 2 stroke, so the lubrication is carried out by the oil in the fuel. There are no fluids that have to be changed. The only regular maintenance that must be done involves greasing of the drive gears and other parts.

mazdaflyer

Mar 22, 2009
Kansas
Nice looking bike...like the orange up front, the rear gas tank, the jack shaft drive, the "pipe", leave it chrome. Looks like a fun bike for some dirt trails.

g1manalo

Oct 23, 2010
san diego ca.
I been looking at older popular post. nice looking built I esp like you gas tank. Since you have you bike close to 2 yrs now. how's the dependability on the engine?

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
datz traded his bike to lennyharp (another member here) for a whizzer
both datz and lenny haven't been around much lately (I know Lenny has a new job with killer hours)

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
One of the nicest builds Ive seen so far. This build has made me decide to use a jackshift kit for a few reasons. Last but not least I love the tank but I think most tanks look better then the ones that come with the kits.