Under Seat Gas Tank By Sportscarpat

GoldenMotor.com

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Sportscarpat,That is a nice piece! I've been a welder/fabricator for almost 40 years and can appreciate the amount of work that has gone into the developement and fabrication of something like that.
I think that someone that want's a quality hand built tank would jump at that price!
Nice work.Kip.

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hey,Sportscarpat!That tank is "Sweet" I read thru the posts again and the theory of the low on gas going up hill doesn't float as your behind the seat tank sits higher than a bar mount so the petcock is higher! That would have to be a pretty steap hill for it to make a difference and then the motor wouldn't be able to pull your butt without some help anyway!!Just my thoughts!!
I wouldn't even acknowledge the posts about your tanks not being worth the price,in my oppinion that shouldn't even be allowed because who is he to say they aren't worth it.If your selling them they're worth it to whoever orders one!!
Hey,Just a thought!! That Stainless would look awfull pretty polished! and a small bracket for a light would be nice.
In Maine motorized bicycles are supposed to be registered as mopeds so a couple of tabs for a license plate would be nice.Just my thoughts!! Kip.
[email protected]

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
What something is "worth" is a relative thing. Some people can afford it and some can't. Some, like you, are capable of fabricating your own, but others can't. Some people are making bikes on a very tight budget, don't have access to vintage bikes and buy a cheap department store bike using the cheapest kit they can find. If they can keep it safe and get around for under $300.00 (some do it for under $200.00) more power to them. There is a wide range here of tastes, budgets and intended number of builds. There are those who are looking toward one build and are putting everything into that one, trying to make it their dream bike... heavy duty wheels, a springer front end, a good engine and maybe a shift kit or transmission of some sort, the best brakes they can come up with and a gas tank that they really like which always looks good and never leaks. Something can have real value, but not be "worth" what it would cost you to have it. It may seem like I'm nitpicking or cheer-leading Pat, but my problem with your statement as you put it is that it implies a ripoff. I agree the tank is expensive, but it is not a ripoff. Welcome to the forum, by the way.
SB
Ditto.Kip.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
These tanks are still available but I had to take a couple weeks off from the shop for various reasons. I am out of stock but have all the components to build more. As for a mount bracket for a tail light or license plate I think that is an excellent idea and I will look into it. As for defending my pricing, I hear you there too. Why even respond. One guy said it best to me awhile back when he received one of my "way over priced" Panther tanks. He said "if people think this is too expensive, they just don't get it!" Best way to get ahold of me is by an email through this site. When I respond you will have all my contact info and phone number.
Pat

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
its not worth the money...100 dollors + for someome making it for you...i have seen thoese tanks on two sites...for less then 1 gallon gas tank...waste of money....i just got done cutting down a 78 sporty HD gas tank and getting it power coated today to match the frame for less then $50....cant wait to take pic's of it.
Hey,BikerDalton.When are you going to post the pics of your cut down 78 sporty color matched power coated for less than $50 tank? So we can compare the quality of the worksmanship of these two tanks! Kip.
[email protected]

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I don't think with the low fuel comsumption of the motor that corners and hills will affect the carb fuel level unless its a really long steep hill about 35 degree angle or more(thats steep),the lite was for a safty beacause of just plain old me overlooking filling it up befor running out lol

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
One could do a cork float type gage on the cap,Kinda like heating oil gages.
That wouldn't work out so good as it's behind you,and when the bikes on the kick stand it wouldn't be right.
Also if you were to slide off the seat or sit down to far back it might get your attention! Kip.
[email protected]