Rail bike conversion finally finished w/pics

GoldenMotor.com

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Finally it is done with the exception of two 90 degree plowlike pieces in front of the guide and outrigger wheel which will move objects off the track and keep me from derailing. We have 60 miles of abandoned and no longer used railroad at the relatives to use. After checking out various pics and videos on youtube etc I decided that I wanted a conversion that i could ride away short distances and not have a purpose built railbike. The front swingarm swings up and the outrigger is made so that the tubing will slide into each other and can be bungy corded on to my back rack. Except for a few pieces the entire setup is t6061 aluminum with stainless fasteners polished I wanted to keep the weight to a minimum. Figure it weighs about 15 lbs total. I have it all setup for the proper width of the rail and will be taking a testrun here in May. Note the 2 aircraft cable guy wires that keep it all in alignment, tried it down the street and it holds quite rigid.It only takes a 6'' crescent wrench to assemble and adjust. I designed and machined the project through winter so it should be fun if everything works properly!!

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just plain awesome Mountain. What did you use for the front guide wheel?

Across a Pond in the back yard there are tracks that end up across the street from where I work!

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
The front guide wheels are actually bombardier skidoo bogeys/idlers. I researched a few online catalogs and found the size I wanted about 6 1/2'' as they have to drop about 1 3/4'' down the rail for north american standard gage. I had to machine adapter bushings that i pressed into the bearings so that they would work on 3/8'' ready rod as you have to be able to set the inside to inside distance as well as center the pair of them so ready rod was the obvious choice. Should have the aluminum"plows" welded and machined this week so i will snap a pic of them to show how it looks.

cheers all

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Really loven the concept. Purty cool Mountain.
The wife said to say; "Your both nutz" (you for doing it and me for wanting to) But she says that a lot and always with good cheer and support.

Hope ya do a vid on the tracks!

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
lmao, I am planning on having video taken one way or another even if I have to machine out a camera mount in the next week or so. Fwiw their is 60 miles of track it curves through a valley, through a tunnel and curves by a lake so it would be some nice pics and video. As I have a 4 litre tank on the mb I should be able to go quite aways, was riding my mb today to see how far I can go on the tank.

Last edited:

palmclub

Feb 17, 2010
Los Olivos Ca.
preety cool, i,m not being critical but whats going to keep that rear tire on the track,? i think you really have a cool idea here , and just think no cops ,, and you get to enjoy the senery ,, how bout a little campin rig and do over niters

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
The rear tire naturally follows the front, I checked out a few pics on the web somost don't have any rear guides although a few did. I am thinkin of doin an all day trip with lunch photos and video of course!

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Hi M80,

Will both of the tires be in solid contact with the rails so you can take advantage of both brakes?

I'm looking forward to the video. Think you may well start a new trend with this. Talk about a non stress scenery ride. Wish I had some abandoned train tracks near me.

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
Yes Rockhopper both tires are in contact with the rail and I fully agree with you if it works as I planned it definitely will be a stress free and fun adventure. The bicycle with me sitting on it will lean aproximately3 or 4 degrees in so that their is some weight on the outrigger and of course so one does not tip off the track. I never came up with the initial idea they were doin this in the 1800's I believe but I thought I would share my version and maybe give you guys some food for thought too. Didn't like what I saw on the web and youtube as it was either purpose built or too heavy for my taste. Working in a machine shop just allowed me to refine my initial idea is all. If you need any info I am happy to share.

Cheers

rockhopper

Mar 20, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Had a thought. What if the front MB wheel is suspended between two rail wheels, spaced far enough apart so that the bars could not be turned? Rear wheel in direct contact with the rail would/could only follow. Would take some getting used to and would be high when taking off on track alone but could be done easily from where a road crosses.

If it could work, could be mounted so it swung up and out of the way for road use.

What do you guys think?

mountain80

Aug 8, 2008
Red Deer, Alberta
I have seen that version as well somewhere, I wanted to be able to unbolt the front in one piece is the reason I went the way I did, but hey if it works do it should work. I have also seen a similar version as mine except the front guiding wheel(one) is a big chunk of machined plastic type wheel that is machined out so their is a flange on each side and cannot come off the rail. Also seen the same for the outrigger wheel. Another version are purpose built rims with the outer flanges and you ride directly on the rim but they used that in the 1800's. When i go to set up my front wheel clearance there will be very little clearance between the rail and the guide wheels, aproximately 1/8'' max I think will work so the front bicycle tire cannot come off the track, it is going to be a try and see thing.