Anything worth motorizing at Walmart?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mine too. Although the Jaguar is technically a Target bike, it's still Pacific Cycles and Chinese made. I have one approaching 1000 miles and the only weak area so far was the kickstand mount which I fixed with a quick weld job. All the vital stuff is holding up well, even the rims and spokes using a rag joint. For anyone on a fixed or limited budget there's absolutely nothing wrong with the less expensive bikes. Sure, everyone would like to have a Chicago Schwinn to build but that's not always in the cards. If the truth be known I'd bet half or more of the overpriced bikes out there are of no higher quality than the Chinese Schwinns when it comes to metal and weld quality. You might pay more but that doesn't always equate to better quality. And that's true of many things; not just bicycles.
Tom

jay sawdust

Aug 11, 2009
kauai,hawaii

I too have had no problems with wallyworld bikes....not that i have much choice here on a small island...I think you end up going through them just as much as an older bike eventualy.....Above is a Schwinn point beach (china),a Mongoose paver 700c (china) both via Wally world and a pic of the mongoose after ive rebuilt it to where I love it......Oh and they both have 66cc grubees (china)....guess their true china girls....

Last edited:

the paper boy

Jan 8, 2010
CA. Placentia
I bought this my bike at walmart it is a beach crusier called a Landmark and I put a motor kit it i got off of bikeberry.com
so it might work if the motor your wanting to put on is as small is mine ill post a picture of it all put together so hope I helped a little bit
.flg.

Attachments

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Check around where you live for someplace that deals in used bikes, too. There's usually at least one bike shop or independent working out of their garage with them. You'll find a different selection, but older bikes are often made of sturdier stuff than some of the new ones and you may not have to deal with the oversized tubes etc that are all the trend lately, making it easier to mount to.

Nov 23, 2009
Lakeland, FL
Has anyone seen the Ronald McDonald 700c that they've got right now? It's colors are pretty messed up (red tire on a yellow wheel up front and a yellow tire on a red wheel out back) but, it's got a black, small diameter tube frame and, it's already got a second sprocket on the left side of the hub already. There's even a sprag on the rear sprocket on the right side. The only thing might be that the sprocket is pretty small so, it might be a QUICK FIXie. Hey, maybe I aught to buy one and call it that! The price is right at under $100. I didn't get a sku number but I'm seriously thinking of getting one for the second engine for the wife to ride. Might have to be the ginuea pig on this one as I've not seen anything on it, even on Wal Mart's website, not even GOOGLE!!!

Sorry, no pics. I'll try to get some tomorrow.

p309

Sep 27, 2011
Yava, AZ
What about the one called the "Onyx" at Walmart? That thing looks pretty cool- 29" wheels too. Interesting looking bicycle.
My own motorized are a home built 20" bicycle with a kit engine, and a KMart/Walmart 26" Beach Cruiser by Huffy with a China kit engine.
I've been running the Beach Cruiser for a couple of years, and have not experienced any problems with the bike.

Motorized Bike Guy

Jan 4, 2012
Vermont
Agreed, I have a mountain bike from walmart used just for mountain biking and it broke within a week, it was there 'best' they claimed. But I got a bike for my motor at a bike shop and it has been doing fine for just 15 years and still going, It's a murray.dance1

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
good bike brands- Specialized, i have an older one, a rockhopper, about 15 y o so no front suspension. older schwinns are great cruizers, i might get one from my great-uncle. gt is good high-performance, had my dad's old one but i don't know how good they are stock as it had shimano xt hubs, mavic rims, flex stem and billet brake handles. and a sealed crank, you didn't have to tighten the bearings and it was waterproof. and billet pedals. enough bragging, it was stolen from me a few weeks ago.

one basic fact about bikes- cheap ones may have frames that are good enough, maybe even the rims will hold up, but the brakes are garbage and so are the brake handles and cables, the pedals with break, the crank will wear out, you will get squeaks, and wobbling everywhere. i hate riding cheap bikes. they feel flimsy and clunkey after little use. the derailleurs will lose precision. don't be fooled by the fact that most are shimano. shimano makes great stuff and terrible stuff so they take up nearly the whole market for derailleurs.
bad brands- new schwinns, mongoose, next, huffy, diamondback sometimes, pacific, any brand you see at walmart or any department store. many brands that used to be great (gt, schwinn, mongoose) still make a super good high-end bike, but the cheaper ones suffer. gt makes a great high-end moutain bike still. most brands do. but that is not what this tread is about. the best bike for motorizing? any older well known brand. a new bike would not be worth it to me to motorize.

dizzystheman

Dec 5, 2011
illinois
I purchased a Schwinn Riverside cruiser from Kmart on sale for $129. It's a step up from the landmark at Walmart, with a solid steel frame, and friction brakes front and back and a nice paint scheme. I would avoid the Beach Point due to its aluminum frame.